Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired] No Fee First Year 50K after $1k spend AMEX P.R. GOLD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] No Fee First Year 50K after $1k spend AMEX P.R. GOLD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
What is the best use for Amex points?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:23 pm
c2d

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, HHonors, Avis et al.
Originally Posted by Travel22
What is the best use for Amex points?
Best use of MR points is transfer to airline partners especially when there are bonus promotions. Transfers are instant like Chase UR (but unlike SPG, which can take a while), so this is great to snatch up fare sales etc on short notice. This blog post has extensive details on best use of Amex MR pts.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL, BA
The link does work. I just applied for it and got it approved.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:09 pm

still working. novice question time - how long after the miles post is it safe to cancel? do these ever expire? thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
I just applied and got approved as well.

flyguy7636: In most cases Amex points post right away after you complete the minimum spend. PRG has 3x on travel, 2x on groceries etc, so if I were you, I will keep it until the annual fee kicks in after 12 months.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Originally Posted by flyguy7636
still working. novice question time - how long after the miles post is it safe to cancel? do these ever expire? thanks!
The points dont expire as long as you have the card or have any AMEX card with MR.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Just curious, but how often do these offers appear? Was looking in the American Express Membership forum, and this same deal was offered back in January.

Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by jeanie
Just curious, but how often do these offers appear? Was looking in the American Express Membership forum, and this same deal was offered back in January.

Thanks.
Not often, i believe creditcard.com/Amex might shut it down soon
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
The points dont expire as long as you have the card or have any AMEX card with MR.
wow, awesome. seems like i should be able to cycle through some sort of AMEX bonus at least every six months or so then, given that i have a corporate amex with MR. am i missing something?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
hmmm got a considering your application and will reply by mail in 14 days.... was expecting an instant approval. Is there a number to call for status? Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by schley
hmmm got a considering your application and will reply by mail in 14 days.... was expecting an instant approval. Is there a number to call for status? Thanks
https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia

Thanks.
Originally Posted by teddy25
Not often, i believe creditcard.com/Amex might shut it down soon

Thanks for the quick reply. I went ahead and applied, and was instantly approved.

Am a little concerned about Barclays. I opened a couple of accounts there recently, and I know that they can be picky about other new accounts opening up. They tend to follow up with soft credit pulls, and have a history of closing accounts that are too "risky." So I was hoping to wait on this and let my $400 credit post for my new NFL card first.

I am probably over reacting, though. This was too good to pass up.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I went ahead and applied, and was instantly approved.

Am a little concerned about Barclays. I opened a couple of accounts there recently, and I know that they can be picky about other new accounts opening up. They tend to follow up with soft credit pulls, and have a history of closing accounts that are too "risky." So I was hoping to wait on this and let my $400 credit post for my new NFL card first.

I am probably over reacting, though. This was too good to pass up.
great minds think alike, i had the same fear and even reread the posts about the most recent account closures to try to figure out how risky it would be to open an amex account so soon after a barclays approval. it seems that barclays soft pulls experian several days after an app with them so hopefully we're out of that window by now. went for a PRG as well as another amex for a family member and both were instantly approval (was able to get 2 cards instantly last month so i thought it would work again and it did ). thanks again OP
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:05 am

Just tried a few different times, 1st in chrome(sometimes couldn't even load the application page when clicking through to "apply" from creditcards.com, loaded the 1st page once and then wouldn't click through to "continue"), tried in IE, loaded but when clicking "verify" wouldn't go through and it said "This offer may no longer be available", but not ready to give up tried it a last time in Incognito Chrome, went through without clicking out of the browser for anything and was instantly approved. WIN.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Can someone please post the direct link from creditcards.com to amex for this?

As I have just moved to the states, I have no credit here so the card doesnt show. However, if I can get the application submitted through this, Amex will approve me via their global transfer team.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.