Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
I've used this link for the 25k for all of my family and it's been used by several others on FT: http://amex.co/YSLVDm

Additionally once you upgrade, sign up for the Extended Payment Option for an extra 10k: http://amex.co/18GtvZ3
Is there still a working 10k link for paying over time?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Yes. No issues and all points posted very quickly!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Would something like this work?

April, year1 - apply for personal platinum
October, year1 - apply for biz platinum
March, year2 - cancel personal platinum
April, year2 - apply for MB platinum
September, year2 - cancel biz platinum
October, year2 - apply for personal PRG
March, year3 - cancel MB platinum
April, year3 - apply for biz PRG
September, year3 - cancel personal PRG
October, year3 - apply for another AMEX not listed above

Repeat

Will this work in earning all the sign up bonuses?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
Would something like this work?

April, year1 - apply for personal platinum
October, year1 - apply for biz platinum
March, year2 - cancel personal platinum
April, year2 - apply for MB platinum
September, year2 - cancel biz platinum
October, year2 - apply for personal PRG
March, year3 - cancel MB platinum
April, year3 - apply for biz PRG
September, year3 - cancel personal PRG
October, year3 - apply for another AMEX not listed above

Repeat

Will this work in earning all the sign up bonuses?
Not sure. But make sure you're going after retention bonuses in addition to sign-up bonuses if you do do that.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

This way, I am keeping each card open for 11 months. There is always a 25 month wait between cancellation and application for the same card... It should work, shouldn't it?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
This way, I am keeping each card open for 11 months. There is always a 25 month wait between cancellation and application for the same card... It should work, shouldn't it?
Keep in mind the retention bonus on Platinum cards is often 20,000 miles. If you aren't exploiting that you're making a mistake.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:58 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

How so? Sign up bonuses are always 25K or more right?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:45 pm

Had the Amex Platinum regular card for 4 months, got the signup bonus then apped for the MB card. I was approved instantly and called Amex a few days later to cancel my regular platinum. Called yesterday to verify my signup bonus and i did in fact still quality for the 50k bonus even though I had the regular platinum when I app'd for the MB.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:49 am

TPG has a post about the changed T&C of the MB card, which says "This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account." I am actually not so much concerned about that as by the first line there: "Welcome bonus not available to applicants who have had a Platinum card within the past 12 months..."
http://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/u...inum-Terms.png

Any experience with this? Does this mean if I cancel my personal Platinum card today, I can't even get the M-B card for a year? That's the same T&C as the Platinum card itself, so at that point (after waiting 12 months) I may as well sign up for the regular Platinum card, right?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
As a current MB Plat member, I'm more concerned about going the other way. The regular Platinum 25k offer says:

If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card account within the last 90 days
I hope that carries over to any higher offers in the new year. I have to get my $200 for 2014 before I switch.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Originally Posted by whynotnow
Is there still a working 10k link for paying over time?
I also tried and it says technical error.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
TPG has a post about the changed T&C of the MB card, which says "This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account." I am actually not so much concerned about that as by the first line there: "Welcome bonus not available to applicants who have had a Platinum card within the past 12 months..."
http://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/u...inum-Terms.png

Any experience with this? Does this mean if I cancel my personal Platinum card today, I can't even get the M-B card for a year? That's the same T&C as the Platinum card itself, so at that point (after waiting 12 months) I may as well sign up for the regular Platinum card, right?
It means no more being able to get the MB Plat and Regular Plat at the same time. You have to choose now.

No reason to go for the regular plat with the 25k sign up bonus when the MB plat has 50k signup.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by compddd
It means no more being able to get the MB Plat and Regular Plat at the same time. You have to choose now.

No reason to go for the regular plat with the 25k sign up bonus when the MB plat has 50k signup.
But can you still alternate every 13 months - with at least one continuously in service/open?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
But can you still alternate every 13 months - with at least one continuously in service/open?
No, since they are both no longer considered separate products anymore, you would need to cancel and wait 12 months before getting another Regular Plat or MB Plat.

Last edited by compddd; Sep 12, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: A few
Yeah will now have to alternate between business and personal if you want to keep getting new card every year to offset the annual fee with repeatable airline credits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.