Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Has anyone tried calling in and negotiating with the Amex folks to avoid having to shuffle cards?

Specifically -- like many of you -- I'm thinking about opening up a MB Platinum card for the 50K points and then closing my regular Platinum card. But I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle (even with an extra $200 in airfare credits)... changing account numbers, getting a new Priority Pass card, etc. Tempted to call up customer service on my Platinum to ask for a 50K retention bonus... but I don't want to piss them off and have them block me being approved for the MB Platinum
Old May 4, 2013, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Has anyone tried calling in and negotiating with the Amex folks to avoid having to shuffle cards?

Specifically -- like many of you -- I'm thinking about opening up a MB Platinum card for the 50K points and then closing my regular Platinum card. But I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle (even with an extra $200 in airfare credits)... changing account numbers, getting a new Priority Pass card, etc. Tempted to call up customer service on my Platinum to ask for a 50K retention bonus... but I don't want to piss them off and have them block me being approved for the MB Platinum
Well I got a 20,000 MR retention bonus, then closed the card and got the MB Plat.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Hmm... as in... you closed it right after getting the retention bonus?
Ethics aside, I can't imagine that'd endear you to Amex for future opportunities, no?
Old May 4, 2013, 10:40 pm

Hmm... as in... you closed it right after getting the retention bonus?
Ethics aside, I can't imagine that'd endear you to Amex for future opportunities, no?
I'm an excellent customer who puts a lot of spend on their cards. They are more than happy to continue issuing me credit. I fully intend to seek retention bonuses on both my MB AMEX Plat and Biz AMEX Plat next year.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:05 pm

Ah. Well, that aside, it seems that -- if they're only willing to offer you 20K -- they're unlikely to offer me a 50K retention bonus, so I should probably go ahead and sign up for a MB Platinum and figure out what to do with my regular Platinum later (they offered me a 20K "one time" retention bonus last year, so I'm skeptical they'll do so again this time, actually... but hey, if they do, I'll keep both Platinums

Heh, I could accept the 25K bonus offer to upgrade my business Gold to a Platinum and end up with THREE Platinums. I'd wonder if that's some sort of record, but hey, this is FlyerTalk...
Old May 4, 2013, 11:08 pm

Heh, I could accept the 25K bonus offer to upgrade my business Gold to a Platinum and end up with THREE Platinums. I'd wonder if that's some sort of record, but hey, this is FlyerTalk...
It's not!
Old May 4, 2013, 11:26 pm

aw, right after I wrote that, I went into my Amex account and noticed that that promotion on my account has apparently expired, and the phone rep said I could upgrade... but for no points. Bummer :\. Wonder if it was triggered by my application for the MB Platinum, but I'd be surprised if such a change was so instantaneous.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:35 pm

aw, right after I wrote that, I went into my Amex account and noticed that that promotion on my account has apparently expired, and the phone rep said I could upgrade... but for no points. Bummer :\. Wonder if it was triggered by my application for the MB Platinum, but I'd be surprised if such a change was so instantaneous.
I've used this link for the 25k for all of my family and it's been used by several others on FT: http://amex.co/YSLVDm

Additionally once you upgrade, sign up for the Extended Payment Option for an extra 10k: http://amex.co/18GtvZ3
Old May 5, 2013, 7:11 pm

Kierrna, thanks for the thoughtful note with the links. You were absolutely right; that link does seem to be working
Old May 5, 2013, 9:34 pm

Kierrna, thanks for the thoughtful note with the links. You were absolutely right; that link does seem to be working
Cheers
Old May 10, 2013, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
What about the Ameriprise plat?
I am curious about this as well..

I was surprised to find the benefits are not exactly the same. I was told I don't have return protection on my Ameriprise but do have the accidental damage/theft and extended warranty.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Additionally once you upgrade, sign up for the Extended Payment Option for an extra 10k: http://amex.co/18GtvZ3
There's no landing page. Is this for Plat Biz only?
Old May 12, 2013, 2:06 pm

Are all the different plats independent from each other?

Because then someone could conceivably rack up 6...
* Personal
* Business
* Mercedes-Benz
* Morgan Stanley
* Ameriprise
* Goldman Sachs (this one might be a stretch, as I think it's employees-only)
Old May 12, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by johnnie198x
There's no landing page. Is this for Plat Biz only?
Yes
Old May 12, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: AOPA
I've used this link for the 25k for all of my family and it's been used by several others on FT: http://amex.co/YSLVDm

Thanks for the pay over time link. Does this work in the business card too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.