Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:31 pm

Thumbs up Andaz Maui at Wailea

Booked through PTS.

4th night free.
$100 spa credit.
Free full buffet breakfast daily at Ka'ana Kitchen ($45/pp/day).
2-category upgrade from garden view room to full oceanview room.
4 PM late checkout used.

We had a great time at Andaz, and they took the FHR amenities very seriously. The full buffet breakfast was offered daily at Ka'ana Kitchen, which actually makes it a better breakfast offering than that received by Hyatt Diamond members, who need to pay an extra $20 more per person to upgrade from pantry buffet to full buffet. Breakfast is also fully taken off the bill, so no worries about gratuity coming out of pocket. As it's served as late as 11 AM, it gave us an option to skip lunch entirely to save a bit during our trip.

They also upgraded us 2 categories from a base level garden king room to a full oceanview room, which had a fantastic sunset view. This was a very welcome upgrade, as the rack rate difference was over $200/day during our stay. The rooms are new and modern, which we liked, and we thought there was plenty of space for the two of us. The layout was interesting, with the shower having an openable divider that allows you to look out to your oceanview when you're in there. If you have more than two people or have children, however, I would recommend a suite.

Upon checkout, we had no issues with our bill (one of the few times when using FHR), and the 4th night free was automatically taken off along with breakfast and spa credits. Overall, we liked that the facilities are new and beautiful, and can certainly recommend it for the excellent FHR benefits. We definitely will be back!

Other notes:
Internet is free and fast, and signal is great all around the property.
Valet parking is $30/day, but there are some options to park in Kihei to avoid this charge.
Poolside food and beverage is expensive but good. Small plates aren't necessarily small, and they offer the option to split large plates (like a burger) into two portions, which is great for sharing.
Ka'ana Kitchen's dinner is better than Morimoto's, in our opinion. Everything we tried at Ka'ana was very good to excellent, while Morimoto felt like a cash grab with an extremely dissapointing $140 omakase. You are much better off ordering off the regular menu at Morimoto; the chirashi is actually a pretty good deal at $34 and a large portion of fish over rice. Service at Ka'ana was also significantly better than at Morimoto.
This hotel seems to work great as both a couples hotel as well as a kids one. There were certainly fewer children here than at Grand Wailea and FS, but the ones who were here definitely had a good time. The adults only pool is very well secluded and quiet if you want time away from the main 4 pool area. Also, the 2 upper level pools generally had little to no children most of the time.
The beach area is much, much quieter than those at neighboring hotels, which was a huge plus for us. Pool and beach service was good, and when we were there, we had no trouble reserving spots. Granted, this is probably during a low season, so busier seasons may be different.
Sunsets every evening were spectacular from almost any viewpoint in the resort. It felt like the resort was designed to showcase the view as effectively as possible, and it works very well. We recommend strolling down to the beach path area for the best views.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by alphabetsoup
We had a great time at Andaz, and they took the FHR amenities very seriously.
Wow I had no idea there was an Andaz in FHR. I thought it was just a low end Hyatt chain, but you make it sound like its better than the Grand Wailea. It's not better than the FS is it?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Wow I had no idea there was an Andaz in FHR. I thought it was just a low end Hyatt chain, but you make it sound like its better than the Grand Wailea. It's not better than the FS is it?
I haven't personally stayed at either the Grand Wailea, FS, or Fairmont, but we did visit all three properties on a few occasions to get a feel for them in case of future visits. I think Andaz's newer facilities and quieter atmosphere just felt nicer to us, so we definitely think we made the right choice staying there. As a resort, the grounds are certainly smaller than the Grand Wailea (huge!) and FS (larger interior spaces with extras like shops, but less impressive pools and beach), but Andaz was host to fewer people during our stay. The smaller number of guests and children (especially in the public beach where people not just at those resorts tend to visit) made it feel much more serene than the hectic situation you can find at places like the Grand Wailea.

Overall, I'd describe Andaz as having a more a boutique hotel/resort feel than any of the others in the area. I'd love to stay at FS to confirm my thoughts (and we strongly considered it), but given the higher rates, I just wasn't sure if I'd find it worth the extra money. My biggest anticipated gripe with FS would be the need to reserve prime pool or beach spots early in the morning, which I've read has been an issue for some. Andaz's fewer guests and several different pools made it extremely easy to get seating at any hour. I never felt like I had to fight over facilities with any other guests.

Anyways, I hope they keep the facilities in great shape as I would love to go back soon.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Sorry, I know it should be answered many times. I cannot find exact answer. If I booked more room, like 5, do all the rooms have breakfast and $100 dining benefit? Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:31 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Valid only for new FINE HOTELS & RESORTS bookings made through Platinum Travel Service, Business Platinum Travel Service, Centurion Travel Service, americanexpress.com/fhr, any American Express Travel offices or the Agency Services Desk. Payment must be made in full with an American Express Card in the U.S. Platinum Card Member's or U.S. Centurion® Member’s name. Available for U.S. Platinum Charge Card Members and U.S. Centurion® Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members such as Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Card Members who are not also U.S Platinum Charge Card Members. Card Member must travel on itinerary booked to be eligible for benefits described. Noon check-in and room upgrade are based on availability and are provided at check-in. Certain room categories are not eligible for room upgrade; call Platinum Travel Service or Centurion Travel Service for details. Breakfast amenity varies by property, but will be, at a minimum, a continental breakfast. Complimentary Wi-Fi is provided in room, with the exception of select properties where In-Room Wi-Fi is included as part of a mandatory daily resort fee or is not available. In these instances complimentary Wi-Fi will be provided in a common space on property. Call Platinum Travel Service for property specific details regarding Wi-Fi or view it within the individual property details on www.americanexpress.com/fhr. Benefit restrictions vary by FINE HOTELS & RESORTS property and cannot be redeemed for cash, and may not be combined with other offers unless indicated. Benefits and additional FINE HOTELS & RESORTS promotions are only applied at checkout and expire at checkout. Limit one benefit package per room, per stay. Three room limit per Card Member, per stay; back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property considered one stay. Participating FINE HOTELS & RESORTS properties and benefits are subject to change.
https://www.americanexpressfhr.com
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Thank you, Mia
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:24 am

Gritti Palace - Venice

Booked a middle tier room and received a one category upgrade. Early / late check in/ out both honoured. €85 FHR Food credit applied plus additional €15 drink credit for SPG Gold status as wifi included as standard. Full breakfast was included thats normally €55 a head.

Overall a great hotel and stay, wasnt sure if to stay here or at the Danieli when booking but was won over by the water front bar/ restaurant. Did pop into the Danieli just to see, whilst the location is closer to St Marks Square it means there is a constant mass of people outside of it that you have to push through to get in. Similarly being in the ground floor bar feels a little like being in a zombie movie with the silhouettes of the shambling hordes through the opaque windows. I am sure the rooftop bar is much better but we didnt go up to see. The Gritti by contrast was very quiet but under 5 minutes stroll to the square (crowds allowing).

Food was fantastic other than the cooked/hot breakfast elements that were made to order but always came dried out. Breakfast menu was limited but they were happy to go off menu if you asked. The continental/ cold cuts etc however was all very good.

Slight quirk in that they still use keys for rooms, though they are electronic, which must be dropped at concierge as you leave the property each time. Did give them an opportunity for a little extra interaction each day.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:23 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by maxswanson
Sorry, I know it should be answered many times. I cannot find exact answer. If I booked more room, like 5, do all the rooms have breakfast and $100 dining benefit? Thanks!
On top of what mia quoted you can get around this but adding the additional 2 rooms under another hotel affinity program like Virtuoso, Signature or the various Visa Card programs
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:02 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ABG
... Virtuoso, Signature or the various Visa Card programs
Do those programs also have caps on the number of rooms per booking?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:51 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by mia
Do those programs also have caps on the number of rooms per booking?
I can only intelligently speak about Virtuoso, which has no cap, but some properties might deem a certain number of rooms a group and work out a separate plan. If you took 5 rooms at Twin Farms for example. A small property with an aggressive cancel policy and high room rate.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:03 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Arizona Biltmore

Another great stay using FHR here. Stayed 4 nights, paid for 3 (they didn't charge the stupid $28 resort fee on the 4th free night, thankfully). Breakfast was $30 per adult ($60 total) and could be used at The Cafe, Frank & Alberts, or In Room Dining. $100 Food and Bev credit on top of that. Upgraded from standard king room to Ocatilla (building with the club in it) deluxe room with patio.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Ritz Carlton Beijing

"Upgraded" to a Garden View Room, which was nothing special.
Was offered a 4PM late checkout
$100 USD hotel credit can be used on anything, including spa products and airport transfers
Surprisingly, I was told that the FHR rate included two free dinner buffets at their restaurant, Aroma
Was given Club Lounge access after we talked about my horrible experience with the cabs at the airport. She noticed I wasn't pleased with the way things went.
Old May 2, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Shangri La Sydney

Booked through CTS.
No early check-in. Had to wait till 2pm.
No room upgrade.
Benefits not explained or listed. I have not been charged for breakfast.
Amex feedback form not provided.
Old May 2, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by antirealist
Shangri La Sydney

Booked through CTS.
No early check-in. Had to wait till 2pm.
No room upgrade.
Benefits not explained or listed. I have not been charged for breakfast.
Amex feedback form not provided.
This may be the saddest FHR post ever!

Does Amex have a channel to post this too, as this clearly doesn't seem to meet their expectations of an FHR experience.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:17 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
This may be the saddest FHR post ever!

Does Amex have a channel to post this too, as this clearly doesn't seem to meet their expectations of an FHR experience.
www.rateyourfhrstay.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.