Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling gold when going to platinum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Cancelling gold when going to platinum

I am thinking of accepting a recent offer for the platinum card. Your comments would be appreciated.

My question is: I will cancel my Amex gold card. Can I transfer those MR points to the new credit card number? How do I do that?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 2:44 pm

Your MR points are independant of the account and they actually link your card accounts to the MR program and fees based on the card you hold. In your case your platinum will waive almost all fees including additional cards so you even attach an optima card to your MR account with no additonal fee. Someone else may chime in about the fact that you have to an active card account attached to MR to not loose the points but since your switching cards you do not need to worry.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 3:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I would get the Platinum Card first, then once you make sure it's linked to your MR account cancel the Gold Card. As pointed out you can have multiple cards linked to a single MR account ... but you need to make sure to have at least one card linked to it at all times or you can run into problems!
Old Sep 11, 2003, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Agreed. I did this very same thing a few years ago and had no problems whatever.

Last year, I took a timeout from frequent flying and consulting, so did the reverse: went from the Plat back to the Gold...again, no problems at all.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 7:35 am
MGL

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAaLot:
I am thinking of accepting a recent offer for the platinum card...</font>
Willing to share the terms of the recent offer?

Old Sep 13, 2003, 4:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Also,

Can you share what specific benefits you prefer to offset the significant on-going fee?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2003, 8:05 am
Original Poster

The offer is nothing special...I assume: Pay $395

My possible interests are:
1. Entry into Continental, Delta, NWA clubs.
2. Concierge...esp. for restaurants or emergencies.
3. Free versus paid MR rewards
4. maybe: 2 for 1 J tickets...sail upgrades...upgrades at hotels

Your comments would be appreciated:
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
#1 In my experience, is the only benefit worth anything. Free MR with "everyday" double points is nice, too.

The concierge is hit or miss in my experience. I've had good luck but only when I've demanded a more creative solution than what was initially presented. The last time I used them was a couple of years ago so service may have changed.

The 2-for-1 plane tix deal can usually be bettered by discounted J tickets offered directly from the airlines.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
The 2-for-1 plane tix deal can usually be bettered by discounted J tickets offered directly from the airlines.</font>
This is highly dependent on the route. Some routes/carriers don't offer much in the way of discounts, so the IAP can be a good savings.

Also, if you would otherwise buy an airline club membership, these are typically $250-300 a year by themselves. It's this feature that put me over the top and made it easy to justify the membership fee.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't think their concierge is all that great....I have used it a few times with littel success. The people at thea call center are not very informed or experienced.

Don't get me wrong, I think Amex is great because if I ever have a problem with my bill, I jstu all them and it is solved right away. I will pay the fee just for that service alone.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
I canceled my AMEX Platinum this year, due to the increase in fee from $300 to $390. I do have a corporate AMEX that I had linked to my MR account, and had no trouble maintaining my MR account after closing my Platinum card. There is a fee for MR using the Corporate card, but it's nominal compared to the Platinum fee. You should have no trouble going from Gold to Platinum with your MR account.

I have had Platinum for 7 years, but I never used any of the benefits, so it was way over-priced for me. If you fly CO/NW the airline membership club would be a definite benefit, but I fly UA so it didn't help me any.

I just recently got the free Hilton AMEX card, however, it only rewards on Hilton, so I also use my corporate card for MR mileage.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 11:40 pm

Normally they asked if they should close the other account. If you agree, they transfer all MR to the new one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.