Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is Air Canada added to Amex Rewards?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:43 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
When is Air Canada added to Amex Rewards?

I've heard about this a few months ago.... but nothing so far...

Anyone has an update?
Old Sep 20, 2003, 1:33 pm

I was talking with AMEX earlier in the week about this, and they say they are hoping for something "by the holidays". Evidently they are still working out things like MR points exchange rate, Platinum Card benefits, Aeroplan branded cards, etc.

I asked if I could assume that the exchange rate would be 1:1 and was told that wasn't yet decided. I did point out though that if it is anything less than 1:1 that Aerogold and Diner's would have an advantage with respect to Aeroplan. The comment back was that they plan to be competitive.

So, the wait continues...
Old Sep 20, 2003, 5:54 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks PDJ,

I called AMEX to enquire and the agent told me the same thing...

I guess we'll just have to wait..
Old Sep 21, 2003, 5:50 am

Anyone regularly use AC awards and have any idea of availability to non-elites? My experience with practically anyone in North America except American is that, unless you're retired and don't care when and where you go, awards are useless.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 6:48 am

I am proudly of no status with Aeroplan, and have not had any significant problems in 4 tries getting where I want to go, when I want to go there (knocking on wood as I type). I do only ever fly on personal travel though (read: leisure) and generally book at least 6 months out, which makes life much easier.

Galileo makes it quite easy to find out which dates/flights have award availability, so you can do your all of your own homework before calling (for which there is now a booking fee, I believe) or going online to book (still fee-free). Entering fare class "D" in your search criteria will show you business class reward seats, as well as those in economy ("W").

I'll admit that my situation is quite different from those who fly all the time and want/need to book at much shorter notice. Anecdotal evidence in that case suggests that you'll have far less success in getting what you want (unless you are top-tier status), and very limited success as a basic member.

Hope this helps. More insight can be gleened by visiting the AC forum (if you can stand all of the hockey-themed threads and that are now starting, that is! )

[This message has been edited by pdjcrawford (edited 09-21-2003).]
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdjcrawford:
[B]... Entering fare class "D" in your search criteria will show you business class reward seats, as well as those in economy ("W")...
B]</font>
Well, the first thing I'll need is a fare-class chart. I'm used to D being a paid/discounted business class seat rather than a free award seat.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:42 am

Try this list compiled by one of the AC forum's resident experts (Empress). It's as complete a list as you'll want.

[This message has been edited by pdjcrawford (edited 09-21-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.