Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annual Fee Legalities?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2003, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Annual Fee Legalities?

Are there any regulations in U.S. law regarding memberships and annual fees? I.e. can a company charge 2 different fees to the same clientele?
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:21 am
Original Poster

What does this mean then? Doesn't it state that you can not set different a price if you provide the same goods/services?

Sec. 13. - Discrimination in price, services, or facilities

(a) Price; selection of customers

"It shall be unlawful for any person engaged in commerce, in the course of such commerce, either directly or indirectly, to discriminate in price between different purchasers of commodities of like grade and quality"
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:12 pm

WhiteAmex - Are you having a conversation with yourself again? What are those other voices saying to you right now?

Snowcap
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Funny. It would help if you could answer my question.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 2:43 pm

In what way has there been a discrimination in prices/fees/etc. vis-a-vis Amex products and services?

Snowcap

Old Jun 3, 2003, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Of what, exactly, is that 'Section 13'?

I can hardly imagine a law that would prohibit a vendor from selling to its clients for different prices, that's a truly astonishing proposition.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This reminds me of good old LL Bean, famous for sending out a number of different catalogs.

All the merchandise was the same price, but depending on your zip code, you'd get higher or lower prices printed in it for the same stuff. Live in Greenwich, CT? High prices. The Bronx? Low prices.

d
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Or what about Victoria's Secret? Their catalogs that were sent to men had higher prices than those sent to women.

Nonetheless, back to the subject at hand, I am not sure I understand what the different fees are that WhiteAMEX is referring to. Please elaborate. Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:00 am
Original Poster

American Express raised the annual fee on the Centurion Card from $1,000 to $2,500. However, this increased annual fee was only applied to new members and not existing members of the card. This is unique, in that both Centurion cardholders are receiving the identical level of benefits and services, but at a different price.

When examining American Expresss history on other cards, it becomes apparently clear that something is wrong. For example, American Express also raised the annual fee on the Platinum Card from $300 to $395, during the same year. However, this new annual fee was applied to all members, past, present, and new applicants.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 10:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
I think I have the answer to your question in two words - airline tickets.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 1:46 pm

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
WhiteAMEX - the concept of "charter members" is completely legal and used to offer different prices for the same product in numerous industries. So is the concept of targeted promotions...
Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:43 pm

WhiteAMEX:

Get back on the meds unless your doctor says otherwise. Read the whole section - it has to do with restraint of trade, not trying to make an extra buck. Here's a piece you missed in this section:

"...where the effect of such discrimination may be substantially to lessen competition or tend to create a monopoly in any line of commerce, or to injure, destroy, or prevent competition with any person who either grants or knowingly receives the benefit of such discrimination, or with customers of either of them...".

[This message has been edited by Rodney Dangerfield (edited 06-05-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.