Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Amex customer service so consistently bad.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2003, 4:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Why is Amex customer service so consistently bad.

I had my Amex Starwood card and my Diners Club card lost (or stolen)
I call Diners, got a very helpful CSR who puts a hold on the account and will issue a new card, all they said is to review my charges and let them know which if any are not mine and they will credit my account. Will still be able to pay my card balance which due this weekend on line.

Amex completely different story at the weeksite there is a 800 number to call, but to access the report a lost card area, I need the card number, now if I had the card I wouldnt be calling to report it lost would I?
Had to give them the number of my business Amex so they could finally locate my account.
Also unable to pay the bill online till I get the new card and register it on line etc.
Only redeeming factor is that they will overnight the card to an address other than my home.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 04-17-2003).]
Old Apr 18, 2003, 4:01 am

Mike...when it comes to AMEX, you get what you pay for...I am currently a Starwood Platinum AMEX member and a Centurion Member. I pay $30 a year for my Starwood card and get people that hardly speak English and are very inexperienced. The higher the monthly fee, the better the customer service. I have never had to wait on hold more than one minute on Centurion and one time I lost my card, called them in the morning, and they got my card to me that evening! So...service is all dependant on how much you spend on a yearly fee with them.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
What I don't understand is why can't the Amex people afford to hire knowledgeable people for all levels of service?

I have a Citibank Mastercard Platinium with 0 annual fee and excellent customer support. At the same time, I have a DL Amex Glod with a $55 fee and a barely existent support. Perhaps this is why MC and Visa are so much more widespread then American Express.

[This message has been edited by yevlesh2 (edited 04-18-2003).]
Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:39 pm

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
You can use your Visa & MC in more places because they charge merchants lower fees than AMEX does, not because of CS issues. At any rate, I've also enjoyed great support from Centurion agents (with the exception of the concierge staff which is often clueless - but they're not AMEX employees).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.