Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closed thread on Nat West Black

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2003, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Closed thread on Nat West Black

I don’t normally have a problem with moderator closing threads – those that are locked are usually degenerating into utter drivel or attacks…

However, what the heck was wrong with the Nat West Black thread…?? Apart from the fact that it contained comments by JimmyLove which are, whilst directed towards one person, not completely inaccurate?

Richard – as I suspect you have locked that thread – if you disagree with someone, the very basic courtesy would be to actually review the post – there was nothing inflammatory in there, just a comment. You agree or disagree with it – fair enough but your moderator privileges don’t extend to censoring people who might not share your views. This is quite ludicrous.

I personally don’t quite see the point of re-hashing the same old views and indeed axel seems to be after you for motives purely personal (which would warrant stopping him/her) – but could it also be a good opportunity to review some of your own comments, which are, also, repeating the same details.

You will no doubt notice from other moderators’ posts that a good practice is to actually explain why a thread is locked, not just decide.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 5:40 am

Canista - well put.

I thought JimmyLove's post was excellently written.

As a relatively new FTer I appreciate that Richard may have added a lot to debates in the past. However the insecure bragging of some posts has become tiresome.

On the assumption that it was Richard who closed the thread I think we should have an explanation.

I'm sure being a moderator has it's own challenges but I hope we can learn from this experience.

Regards

Nick
Old Feb 7, 2003, 5:58 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta
I was also wondering why this thread was closed without an explanation????
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StarAllianceGold:
the past. However the insecure bragging of some posts has become tiresome.
I'
On the assumption that it was Richard who closed the thread I think we should have an explanation.

Nick
</font>
100% in agreemnet with the above.

Every other thread I have seen closed has an explanation.
I also am tired of I am so young, important to vs, amex, hilton etc etc.
Richard remeber in the FT forums there are many young and old rich and poor people who do not have to brag on every front while handing out useful information.

I don’t know about your status in life and I don’t really care but sometimes it seems that you are a walking advert for Centurian and VS gold and we should look up to you as they treat you so much better than anybody else.

Without any comment from yourself (if it was you) why the thread was closed you may have just confirmed that you are not mature enough to moderate.

Hopefully you can learn from this i.e. don’t through your teddy out of the pram…

Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:29 am

There is a vaguely Orwellian stomping of feet involved here I think.
&lt;smile&gt;
Not entirely unexpected...

J
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:44 am

I think we should all give Richard credit for the information which he provides to these forums, but as above, agree that there is often a focus on his personal circumstances (yawn). This focus does take away from the “interesting” information Richard posts and opens the door to people being critical and perhaps thinking he is immature. I hope, in line with Randy's thoughts on the fact that moderators (new ones especially) need to learn and mature he does and we all let him do so.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:54 am

We don't really know who closed the threat, right?
But here is what I think after reading some of the postings: It looks like RichardMannion is not well suited to be a moderator, at least not in this forum.
Alex and others are just waiting that RichardMannion is posting, bragging about something (like this Criterion Card) to bash him... Right? It's a "Reality Show" on the net.
BTW, RichardMannion, the real rich don't need such a card, they have a network of "helpers", and they fly in and out with their jet... Now you have a goal.
http://www.falconjet.com/index_flash.jsp
Old Feb 7, 2003, 6:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:

BTW, RichardMannion, the real rich don't need such a card, they have a network of "helpers", and they fly in and out with their jet... Now you have a goal.
http://www.falconjet.com/index_flash.jsp
</font>
Can I pay the jet with my Amex card?
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:11 am

Programs: Various
Yes it was me that closed the thread, and it was the first time I have closed a thread. I was expecting a reply window to come up so that I could enter a reason for closing the thread.

I closed the thread as the discussion had run its course and had turned into an unnecessary bun-fight. There was a thread on the NatWest Balck card from last year when it was first announced which did the comparisons.

I wasn't bragging, I was pointing out the sheer nonsense of Natwests HNW criteria. Maybe I could have worded it a little better.

I think that it is not a suitableforum for me to moderate so I will resign from the role as a moderator of the AmEx Forum.

Thank you to those who did provide some kind words, and no thank you to those people who know who they are.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:13 am

I agree with above made statements regarding Richard. He has contributed a lot of useful information, but the bragging seemed to get worse and worse.

On the other side, it should not keep unmentioned that Axel kept on running down the Centurion card and its holders. To Richard, it must have been a special provocation. The last two comments of axel were unappropriate, from point of view.

I think this is an issue which should be discussed and solved between Axel and Richard. I can't see a reason to close the thread. If there is any, I think at least it could have been explained.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
Yes it was me that closed the thread, and it was the first time I have closed a thread. I was expecting a reply window to come up so that I could enter a reason for closing the thread.
</font>
Ignore my former made comment regarding explanation of the reasons for closing the thread. Both messages overlapped...
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:

and no thank you to those people who know who they are.

Thanks,
Richard
</font>
Richard,
I hope you didn't get the complete wrong end of the stick. What most people have said it that you offer good avice and are knowledgeable about the subjects you talk about. You may just need to tone down the I AM factor a bit. Don't worry, most of us acted them same when we were "the boy from xxxxx" I for one have been slapped down many times in the past for it....

Cheers

[This message has been edited by CTEASDEL (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:23 am

DUPE

[This message has been edited by CTEASDEL (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Feb 7, 2003, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Richard,

As you know my post wasn’t a comment on your contribution to this forum or otherwise – and most certainly not a personal criticism.

It was on the principle of closing a thread – regardless of your apparent lack of technical knowledge on forum software, it should have been pretty obvious that simply closing a thread would attract attention and comments. In addition, you must be able to see that some of your comments are repetitive in sharing information that has very little credit with most FTers.

As far as resigning is concerned, that seems like an odd decision – rather than trying to improve, you abandon at the first hurdle… you seem to provide yet more fuel to your critics. I hope you will reconsider.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 8:00 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Upon further review, the thread in mention is open again. Debate? My email address is [email protected]

Thanks for understanding that our efforts are better used toward the topic in question. As for closing the thread - that's how most of us learn to make better judgements - we make a mistake and learn from it. I've made my share and while I don't know all of you - suspect you've also made a fw in your time on flyerTalk or elsewhere in life.

For what it's worth - we don't have a single moderator who is not expected to make some mistake in their first few months. I am working with each of them to learn from those judgements and continue to volunteer for the good of the community.

Hope we're clear on talking about the Nat West Black card....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.