Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade from Gold to Platinum [USA] [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:33 pm

Is the 3 month spending calculated by 3 statements?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
Is the 3 month spending calculated by 3 statements?
No, for AmEx it's the equivalent number of days (e.g. 91) from account conversion.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
No, for AmEx it's the equivalent number of days (e.g. 91) from account conversion.
So if card is converted on June 3, the 5k needs to be done by Sept 4?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by trikotret

So if card is converted on June 3, the 5k needs to be done by Sept 4?
Yes.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:10 am

I've had my PRG for just under the 90 day threshold and have been considering at some point in the near future to upgrade to Platinum to replace my Citi AA Executive. With the new benefits coming up on the PRG, I'm now going to keep that card as the benefits totally outweigh the AF for me. So it makes sense to apply new for the Plat. A few minutes ago I got pinged with a 75,000 offer w/ $5k spend for the Platinum. Should I go for it now? Or is it wise to wait another few weeks till I hit 90 days for credit score reasons but risk losing out on the the 75k offer? Will there be unnecessary red flags raised b/c I'm under 90 days? Any thoughts/insight would be great.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
...wait another few weeks till I hit 90 days for credit score reasons.....
What reasons are those?

Only 3 Amex card applications allowed in 90 days? [USA]
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mia
What reasons are those?
From what I understand, applying for 2 cards within a 90 day period is a red flag no-no. In other words, a totally avoidable credit issue if I'm patient and just wait a few more weeks till the 90 days passes (but again, probably risk losing the 75k offer in the short term). Is the 90 day thing not true, or not that big of a deal?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:21 am
mia

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
.... Is the 90 day thing not true, or not that big of a deal?
I am not aware of it, but that doesn't mean it isn't so. I added a link to my original reply.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mia
I am not aware of it, but that doesn't mean it isn't so. I added a link to my original reply.
Thanks so much, very helpful. I'm leaning towards going for it and seeing what happens...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:31 am
mia

Bear in mind that American Express does not always make a credit inquiry when evaluating applications from existing cardholders.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
Bear in mind that American Express does not always make a credit inquiry when evaluating applications from existing cardholders.
Interesting. I may just be fretting needlessly over an old wives tale that someone with whiter hair than me once told me...

FWIW, a lot of those posts in the link you shared about people who successfully were approved for multiple cards in a short amount of time (i dont think approval is an issue for me) - but none (that I could tell) reported the overall impact on their credit score on those decisions, which was more my initial question/concern... I'm OK with a 1-2 point hit for the pull, but it would be annoying to see an 8-10 point drop for simply being impatient
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it was common for people to apply for many on a single day (rather than multiple days) but no idea if that is still standard
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver (woohoo), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Have platinum and thinking of downgrading or closing - I have trouble justifying the AF. Have had the card since 2013. ~20k annual spend - almost all on travel.

I've heard anecdotes about people downgrading to green (or gold) and receiving upgrade offers back to platinum. A co-worked downgraded and received a 100k bonus to upgrade 3 months later (pending they hit spend requirements). Said they've done this two time.

Has anyone else seen this? I'd be more open to a $550 AF if it came with another 60K bonus.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:38 pm
mia

Originally Posted by beerandcheese
.... I'd be more open to a $550 AF if it came with ....
Have you asked for a retention offer?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by mia
Thanks for the reminder, I had almost forgotten. Are you aware of specific parameters that would make it go one way or the other?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.