Upgrade from Gold to Platinum [USA] [Consolidated]

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade from Gold to Platinum [USA] [Consolidated]

Hey guys does anyone have a referral code for an upgrade for a personal gold to platinum upgrade? Saw some floating around couple of months ago. Thanks
Old May 1, 2012, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by mab631
Hey guys does anyone have a referral code for an upgrade for a personal gold to platinum upgrade? Saw some floating around couple of months ago. Thanks
You can call Amex MR and they might be able to provide you with it. Last year, there were reports of many doing this and receiving the bonus,but MR cracked down on that IIRC.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I received an offer via email to upgrade my BRG to Bus Plat for 25,000 MR points after the first purchase. Not sure I want another $450 fee (I already have a personal Plat) tho. There was no RSVP code that I could tell associated with this so not sure if that helps or not.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:31 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I have never heard of a referral for an upgrade. Referrals are for new applications, see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ral-links.html
Old May 1, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by akcae
I received an offer via email to upgrade my BRG to Bus Plat for 25,000 MR points after the first purchase. Not sure I want another $450 fee (I already have a personal Plat) tho. There was no RSVP code that I could tell associated with this so not sure if that helps or not.
similar here, I had logged in and saw a floating Upgrade Now button, no ref code.

Couldn't resist.

So I upgraded my Gold to Plat last Thursday and 25k points posted today.
Old May 2, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by danpass
similar here, I had logged in and saw a floating Upgrade Now button, no ref code.

Couldn't resist.

Hmmm, tempting. I would have to cancel the personal one if I did that; otherwise I'd be at over $1K in annual fees to Amex (2 Plat, 1 BGR, 1 DL Plat, 1 SPG + my wife's DL Gold)!
Old May 2, 2012, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by akcae

Couldn't resist.

Hmmm, tempting. I would have to cancel the personal one if I did that; otherwise I'd be at over $1K in annual fees to Amex (2 Plat, 1 BGR, 1 DL Plat, 1 SPG + my wife's DL Gold)!
just to add a data point, this offer was 25k upon first purchase
Old May 2, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
Amex MR Gold Card up for renewal - any luck in upgrading to Plat?

My 1 year fee free Amex Gold card is coming up for renewal - I had got 75K MR points last year that I transferred to BA with a 50% bonus so it worked very well for me.

Now that the fee is up for renewal - and it is a steep fee of $175 I have two questions

a) Does any one know if it is possible to upgrade the card to a platinum card (and get whatever bonus is running right now?)

b) Does Amex look down on people cancelling their cards during their first anniversary (I have Amex SPG Personal and Business cards so it's not that I won't have any Amex cards if I cancel this one)
Old May 2, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Your better off applying for a platinum as opposed to upgrading, most of the time it'll involve a bigger bonus.

Look into the MBZ Amex Plat
Old May 2, 2012, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
just to add a data point, this offer was 25k upon first purchase
I see the upgrade link - is there a fee to upgrade? i coudln't tell from reading the left column.
Old May 2, 2012, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by travel.flier
I see the upgrade link - is there a fee to upgrade? i coudln't tell from reading the left column.
no fee that I noticed and nothing showing up in recent activity related to that
Old May 2, 2012, 9:05 pm

is there a floater for Upgrade Now?

I had one recently that was 25k with the only requirement being 'upon first purchase'

so McDonald's drive-thru it was lol

(biz gold to biz plat)

Last edited by danpass; May 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 7:52 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by travel.flier
I see the upgrade link - is there a fee to upgrade?
When you upgrade to a more expensive card American Express will promptly bill the annual fee for the new card and issue a pro-rated refund for any time remaining on the previous card level.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Upgraded business card recently and got 25k points for the upgrade.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: JPMorgan Palladium, AMEX MR, Krisflyer, M&M, United, SPG Gold
It's worth noting that even if you choose the "upgrade" route, they'll still do a hard credit pull. You might as well apply for a brand new card and see if you can get a mileage bonus that way.

I realize you might want to cancel your Gold card, but keep the card numbers the same for auto-pay purposes, but have to adjust your auto-pay information with everyone else is a small price to pay for the mileage bonus you receive.

Personally, I plan to keep both the AMEX Plat and Gold PRG. Latter lets me accumulate miles. Former gives me a lot of travel benefits. I also carry the JPMorgan Select card which works at most places that don't take AMEX and lets me accumulate points toward domestic UA and Amtrak.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.