Wiki Posts
Search

Why I Dumped AMEX MR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2002, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
Why I Dumped AMEX MR

In 1982 I signed up for an Amex card, When MR rewards launched (1993?) I signed up immediately. Today I canceled my relationship. During the last 20 years I have paid fees for my card, my wife's card, Mebership rewards and a Linkage fee to my corporate card. Total fees that I have paid in 20 years have exceeded $2500. I have also paid Amex interest on Sign and Travel purchases that total an obscene amount on money. Total purchases using my Amex card in the last 20 years are approximately $480,000. I have never paid my bill a day late.

8 weeks ago I ordered a magazine
subscription, when I called to inquire as to its whereabouts I was told to call their magazine fulfillment vendor as AMEX MR has "nothing to do with magazine orders after they are placed". I politely told the rep that I didn't think I should have to do the run around to get something that I paid for with my hard earned points. I was then told that I had no other choice. My reply was that I did have a choice and that choice was to cancel my 20 year relationship with AMEX.

Next I was transfered to the department that trys to convince you not to leave. Well, the guy I spoke with must have been new because he just canceled my account as requested and said goodbye.

Goodbye Amex...... I am surprised you would let me go over a $3 magazine subscription.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 5:36 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
That was really poor treatment. Were the other 20+ years experience ok?

I'm not sure I would cancel after that one incident.

Most call centers have "bad apples", sorry to hear you got two in a row.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 11:01 am

I am surprised you let your emotions cancel a long-term relationship with one of the best reward credit cards over....3 dollars!
I think you made a mistake there.

Old Nov 2, 2002, 11:33 am

I agree with eyemd_2020 - pretty extreme for $3. Seems like there's more to this.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 1:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by singlemalt:
I agree with eyemd_2020 - pretty extreme for $3. Seems like there's more to this. </font>
There are 3 sides to this story. Amex's side, Ambassador's side and then there is the truth.

Old Nov 3, 2002, 9:45 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ambassador:
In 1982 I signed up for an Amex card, When MR rewards launched (1993?) I signed up immediately. Today I canceled my relationship.</font>
Good on you. Go the rest of the way and cancel your Amex cards too. I did it and I am glad to be rid of the ****ed thing. No more wondering if places accept Amex, no more being asked if you have another card you can use because they don't like taking Amex.

As for membership rewards, I spend over 30,000 on my card and it brought me a 50 flight (plus 25 quid taxes that I had to may myself). Any they want you to pay money for the privilege of getting these "reward points" ?! What a complete waste of money.

Old Nov 3, 2002, 10:27 am

Programs: Various
You only got a free flight with 30,000 points? What did you expect?

Of course you ahd to pay the taxes, you always have to pay the taxes ona ny reward ticket. Ask any frequent flyer.

Sounds to me you should stick to a cashback card.

50,000 would have got you a Premium Economy return on VS worth c. 1500k. But then you would complain that you had to pay the taxes.

Platinum & Centurion members don't pay the annual MR fee. And I get a choice of a Upper Class flight or 2 Premium Economy returns every year for spending what I do on my card, no complaints from my family for the rewards - they're more htan happy to pay the 75 in taxes for tickets worth at least 3k.

Richard
Old Nov 3, 2002, 1:29 pm

AmEx has never been know for its high level of customer service. I would dump my Starwood card in a second, but am willing to deal with their nonsense in return for a great rewards program.
Old Nov 3, 2002, 2:34 pm

30,000 worth of points and you bought a 50 ticket with it ?

You could've exchanged them for 60,000 Hilton points which equates to 11 free nights under " oportunity " codes or 4 nights in the Maldives Hilton on a point stretcher . Two 2nd class tickets on Eurostar or one first class, lord knows how many two nights for the price of one at some very good Hotels etc , etc

If I was so upset at Amex that I was cancelling my cards I'd have given the points to one of the Charities in the scheme. Figure that might cost Amex a little bit more .

Nigel
Old Nov 3, 2002, 4:00 pm

I'm with Ambassador and I disagree that "there are 3 sides to this story. Amex's side, Ambassador's side and then there is the truth." There is only one side that counts here...Ambassador's. He's the long time customer who got the unsatisfactory service. Just make sure you transfer the remainder of your points before you quit them!
Old Nov 4, 2002, 7:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ambassador:
Goodbye Amex...... I am surprised you would let me go over a $3 magazine subscription.</font>
This is terrible.. Please contact:

Mr. Barry V. Arnold
Senior Vice-President, Customer Relations
777 American Express Way
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33337

Voice: 800-297-6197
Fax: 800-297-6198
Email: [email protected]

[This message has been edited by DelrayChris (edited 11-04-2002).]
Old Nov 4, 2002, 7:59 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Ambassador, you're certainly entitled to your decision ... and I'm not faulting you for it.

Personally, I think I understand the situation ... AMEX has VIP Magazine Services or something like that fulfill subscriptions, so they probably said you need to call them. Personally, if it were me, I'd rather call them myself anyway instead of having a middle-man (AMEX) do it ... seems like it would be easier all around than telling AMEX the problem, having AMEX call VIP Magazine Services, then having AMEX tell me what they said ... but to each his own.
Old Nov 5, 2002, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
This has been very interesting to read everyone's opinion. As to there being three sides to the story, I really did leave because of the magazine subscription. The amount of money I have paid AMEX just in fees alone has far exceeded the value I have received back in point redemptions. I may only be a green card holder, but I demand respect when calling on the phone. The model no longer makes sense for me. I have found a better points card that suites my needs...... and has no card or program fees.

[This message has been edited by Ambassador (edited 11-05-2002).]
Old Nov 6, 2002, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I had a very similar experience, Ambassador. I kept a Green Card for 18 years, joined MR as a charter member, and was never a day late with a bill. Paid demented, usurious interest rates on Sign & Travel purchases (I now realize no smart person would ever use Sign & Travel). When some airline I liked pulled out of MR three years ago, I realized I was paying $90 a year for next to no value. I called Amex and said so and inquired about retention incentives. The phone jockey said there were none and cancelled me without a murmur.

I never heard a peep from American Express as to why they lost a lucrative nineteen-year customer. I don't miss Amex at all. Congratulations on cutting them loose.

[This message has been edited by BearX220 (edited 11-06-2002).]
Old Nov 7, 2002, 6:49 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
You only got a free flight with 30,000 points? What did you expect?
</font>
I expected much more than a pathetic 75 quid reward after spending 30k.

Membership has it's rewards? I don't think so.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Sounds to me you should stick to a cashback card.
</font>
Indeed!

A 2% cashback card (eg the Amex Platinum Credit Card available in the UK) would have netted me 600 pounds cashback (not to mention the savings on the annual fees over the years).

That would buy me 8 flights, not the one flight I "earned" using membership rewards. Give me the cash back anyday - at least I can spend cash on anything I like.

Don't get me wrong - a free flight is better than a poke in the eye with a ....ty stick but I can't help but feel that the so called "membership rewards" scheme is rather poor value.

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.