Why I'm still a Cardmember 13 years and counting

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2002, 8:28 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Why I'm still a Cardmember 13 years and counting

I've been a green member since 1989, recently upgraded to Platinum in May 2002.

Scanning my online statement, I noticed some charges that weren't familiar. 2 from a restaurant in Longview, TX. 2 from a phone company for calls made from Longview, TX. I haven't been in TX in over a year.

I called AMEX Customer Service. They noted that my statement hasn't closed yet, but said they would flag the charges to go into dispute as soon as the statement prints (which happens to be at midnight tonight).

She also put me over to the Fraud protection unit where they immediately closed my account and asked where the new card should be sent.

Now, here's where they get an A++ for service....I told her that I'm working in New York and want to pick up the card at the AMEX office that happens to be 2 blocks from me. She said no problem - they can have it ready today. What time would I like to get it? It's was 10am. I asked for 1pm. No problem, she said. "Just stop into the office with the necesary ID and a security code" (that she gave me).

In my limited dealings with various Visa and MC banks, some very large and some quite small (without night or weekend hours!). I've never had such prompt, quick service. Disputes usually required that I did the legwork to prove my innocence.

For the $55/year I had been paying for the Green card, and the $300 I forked out for the Plat, it's worth the service. My personal opinion, of course.

I've actually been keeping a log of all the Plat. benefits I've tried to use, and with which result. I'll look it over after 1 full year and see if I got what I perceive to be $300 value and decide whether or not to step back to the Green(or Gold). But I know that I won't be abandoning AMEX all together.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 9:33 am
Gui

I have been a member for 25 years. I could not agree more. Amercian Express from my experience has been superb. I can not even imagine what could cause me to leave them. Perish the thought. I know there are some out there who harbour a diffent opinion, but I just call them as I see them based on my experiences.

Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:15 am

It does not need 25 years for me to realise certain good qualities of AMEX. I received a phone call that my application for the gold card was successful but realised a few days later that i would be out of the US for three months. Called them from Indonesia and then they DHLed the card and everything else to me at no charge. Pretty good start!
Old Sep 11, 2002, 10:59 am

Programs: LH SEN , UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, GHA Black
I am a member for almost 10 years and I love it. I tried all kinds of Visa and MAstercard cards + DIners CLub and Card Blanche and none of them came close to the service of AMEX. However I think AMEX needs to improve their customer service and it needs to stop giving Platinum and Centurion Cards to everyone.

UA 100K
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
I think AMEX is extreme. When they are good (which is most of the time), they are extremely good.

But when things go bad with AMEX, they go very bad.

It seems that there has been a recent push to improve service.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:17 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Had a similar experience myself, thought I'd lost my card and phoned Amex to block the account (Turned out I'd mislaid the card in our boat when preparing it for winter storage). Was Plat at the time, and within hours I could pick up my new card in downtown Oslo, ev en though Plat. cards isn't part of Amex' Norwegian portfolio. With Cent. cards it's different, waiting time is rather long due to the microchip on the UK cards.
Actually, also lots of other good reasons; especially when it comes to disputed charges.

(Surprisingly, axel1 hasn't provided us with his usual flamethrower remarks regarding this Amex post...)
Old Sep 11, 2002, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Gaucho100K, member since 1989...
Old Sep 11, 2002, 7:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UA 100K:
However I think AMEX needs to improve their customer service and it needs to stop giving Platinum and Centurion Cards to everyone.

UA 100K
</font>
Why? How does this affect you? Credit cards lost their "status symbol" appeal long ago.

Old Sep 11, 2002, 8:32 pm

I think the seminal point with Amex is the relative advantage of their cards over alternatives. Without difficulty and from the comfort of a vacuum, I could easily assail the service level of the couple of Amex products that I have used and continue to use (Centurion since early last year, Platinum for about eight months prior). But, when I reflect on the comparative service level and benefits of the cards, I can't help but feel, at least in regard to their premium products, Amex is dramatically beyond their closest rival. And, in so far as aggressive issuance of Amex products doesn't degrade service, I don't see where their "liberal" policy regarding Platinum cards is relevant. And, are they really that liberal? Surely Amex has at least as stringent criteria when compared to alternative products from issuing banks such as Citi and Chase. But in the end, what difference does it make how many Platinum Amex cards are issued? When it comes to the Centurion Card, numbers do matter because of the frequent flyer program and the potential for dilution of status to impact upgrade opportunities but, to the best of my knowledge, Amex has retained the same approval criteria since inaugurating the product. Surely over time the number of cardholders will increase but likely not to a level that will noticeably degrade the seminal benefit of the card, mid-tier status in three frequent flyer programs. Actually, with the increased annual fee for new "members" negatively impacting the value of the card, I think the probability of broad interest in the card is about nil. By the way, for anyone that believes that the Centurion Card carries any prestige, let me assure you that with extremely few exceptions, the card is not recognized as unique, let alone as premium. In fact, when I have ventured into a WalMart in a small enclave in Eastern PA, I felt more comfortable with the Centurion card, compared to the Platinum Card, as the former is entirely unrecognized and the latter has, at least once, induced a rather nasty response.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 9:26 pm

Programs: NW/DL/CO/HH/PC
Member since 67---Senior Gold now.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:17 pm

Member since 1988. I have received nothing but excellent service from American Express all these years.
Old Sep 11, 2002, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by eMailman:
But when things go bad with AMEX, they go very bad.</font>
Tell me about it. AmEx screwed up my MR account in March and 4 phone calls and 5 months later, it still isn't fixed. Now they opened a "case" on it, which takes 6-8 weeks to investigate. Two more months I have to wait before I get credit for 8+ months of charges?

I'm usually pretty happy with AmEx, but it seems to always be on fire or in the crapper. Never in the middle.

d
Old Sep 12, 2002, 1:36 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Member since '68, and except for the lowered MR Canada mileage transferring changes, generally happy with the ride.

bj-21.
Old Sep 12, 2002, 2:21 am

Member since 1988, Centurion member for almost 5 months and very happy with the Services in Switzerland.

kooks.

[This message has been edited by kooks (edited 09-12-2002).]
Old Sep 12, 2002, 6:43 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
One time I disputed a charge (It was like $30 or something, nothing big), but in the end AMEX said they were going to let the charge stand and pay the merchant, but that they were not reversing the credit they gave me either. In other words, they paid the merchant for the charge.

Just recently my card hadn't been working in card readers a lot, so I called and asked for a new card, but wanted to make sure I got the same account number (since I use it for direct billings and I have it memorized). They had to deactivate the card I had (can't have two cards with the same number both active), but they offered to ship me my new card overnight without me even asking for that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.