Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX (Canada) Losing Shoppers Drug Mart

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by antirealist
Isn't it against the AMEX merchant agreement to require additional ID?
Originally Posted by drwilliams
I will not show ID to use a credit card.
This is news to me... it's actually quite common (at least here in Quebec) to see cashiers ask for ID. What's the big deal? Is it a legal matter? Or just a privacy concern?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
It's a privacy issue, and partly to prevent identity theft. See here and here, for example.

It's not unusual for businesses to ignore the rules. They get away with it because customers either don't know the rules or don't complain.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Quebec law is different on this issue.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by drwilliams
I will not show ID to use a credit card.

I am curious - why not?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:06 pm

It's a privacy issue, and partly to prevent identity theft. See here and here, for example.

It's not unusual for businesses to ignore the rules. They get away with it because customers either don't know the rules or don't complain.
Very surprising! Here in BC it happens all the time. I know my local Save-on-Foods had a store policy that we had to show photo ID for all purchases over $100 (that was likely due to fraud) before they installed their CHIP terminals.

I still don't mind proving I am who I am. They just want to look at your photo and signature anyway. Obviously your dob and address are important bits of information that could be used to steal your identity, but most individuals are smart enough to know that the nice middle-aged cashier lady at Save-On Foods that you see every week isn't asking for it to steal your identity...

I'd be more concerned with the young 20-something waiter asking for my ID to serve me alcohol and then later taking my CC away for 10 minutes to process my payment...

Privacy concerns are a farce these days. Just look for your friends on Facebook - even the ones that haven't 'added' you. They have their DOB and all their personal information out there for the world to see. Then there's twitter and linkedin. If you can google yourself, then you're already exposed.

A clerk checking your ID should be the least of your concerns...

Last edited by pokee; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:13 pm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by pokee
I am curious - why not?
Privacy preference.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Quebec law is different on this issue.
Thanks for the links. They appear to be talking about US-based laws. It would be interesting to know if Canada has similar laws.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Very surprising! Here in BC it happens all the time. I know my local Save-on-Foods had a store policy that we had to show photo ID for all purchases over $100 (that was likely due to fraud) before they installed their CHIP terminals.

I still don't mind proving I am who I am. They just want to look at your photo and signature anyway. Obviously your dob and address are important bits of information that could be used to steal your identity, but most individuals are smart enough to know that the nice middle-aged cashier lady at Save-On Foods that you see every week isn't asking for it to steal your identity...

I'd be more concerned with the young 20-something waiter asking for my ID to serve me alcohol and then later taking my CC away for 10 minutes to process my payment...

Privacy concerns are a farce these days. Just look for your friends on Facebook - even the ones that haven't 'added' you. They have their DOB and all their personal information out there for the world to see. Then there's twitter and linkedin. If you can google yourself, then you're already exposed.

A clerk checking your ID should be the least of your concerns...
That's why you change your privacy settings.
(Except for my one throwaway account which doesn't even contain real information)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by ffsim
They appear to be talking about US-based laws. It would be interesting to know if Canada has similar laws.
I think it's more a matter of contravening the merchant's agreement with AMEX, rather than being illegal.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Jeez, doesn't anyone check ID anymore? That would EASILY solve the issue... It's not like they're busy there with long lines and can't afford to spend the 10 seconds it takes to double-check a driver's license!

Sometimes that's quicker than someone entering their PIN (not everyone is savvy with having to do anything but sign their name when they buy stuff)... Oh the many painful times I've had to wait in line while a person tried to remember their pin, or press the tiny little buttons...
Besides, I don't want Canada to become like the UK which adopted the technology much earlier than we did-credit cards with little to no rewards and people using CCs to buy something for 35p or so.
Not to mention the additional charges for using one over there...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:29 am

Recently had some issues with credit cards and SDM, and this thread came up with google.

One SDM refused to take my USA issued non chipped MC, and occasionally they've demanded id. Word from a Mastercard Canada exec this week is both issues are a violation of their merchant agreement and Mastercard will be talking to SDM about them. They must take all mastercards without discrimination, and cannot require id (pretty sure that would go for the other card issuers too)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just buy SDM GCs at Petro Canada to avoid this.
(You also get CX miles doing this)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.