Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX (Canada) Losing Shoppers Drug Mart

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by xray
Give you the refund in Optimum points ?
Of course not!

I don't even collect the pium points.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:05 am

I doubt that SDM Customer Service would have sent me this response to my query in WRITING if it was going to happen. Maybe cashiers have been told to 'discourage' use? LOL!

Nov. 23, 2012

Thank you for writing us. We will be continually accepting American Express Cards as a method of payment at our Shoppers Drug Mart locations. We apologize for any miscommunication you may have received.Please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Service Call Centre at 1-800-SHOPPERs should you have any further questions or comments or require immediate assistance.

Regards,
Noelle
Customer Service
Old Nov 25, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Here's the SDM reply from my website feedback...

Thank you for writing us. Please rest assured that Shoppers Drug Mart has no plans to continue discontinue accepting the American Express credit card. We have recently renewed our partnership with their company and will be continuing to accept their customers' cards. We apologize for any confusion or miscommunication that may have arisen in this regard.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-SHOPPERs should you have any further questions or should you require immediate assistance in the future.

Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by xray
Here's the SDM reply from my website feedback...

Thank you for writing us. Please rest assured that Shoppers Drug Mart has no plans to continue discontinue accepting the American Express credit card. We have recently renewed our partnership with their company and will be continuing to accept their customers' cards. We apologize for any confusion or miscommunication that may have arisen in this regard.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-SHOPPERs should you have any further questions or should you require immediate assistance in the future.

Sounds like SDM got some concessions from AX.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: CIBC aerogold infinite
Thank God! i was losing sleep over this. lol. (yeah right!)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Of course not!

I don't even collect the pium points.
Why not?
20x points to me is like 40% off and they run that very frequently
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Why not?
20x points to me is like 40% off and they run that very frequently
If I only go to SDM about once every 4 or 5 years, should I still collect their Opium points?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jarusoba
If I only go to SDM about once every 4 or 5 years, should I still collect their Opium points?
Good point.
I'm guessing it's because you would rather have AE points?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
There was a thread some time ago where someone who didn't use the Shoppers Optimum points card for a long period found that when he finally did try to use it Shoppers had cancelled the card for non-use. Why bother if you only shop there once every four or five years? If the recent emails from SDM are correct that they are staying with AMEX, then the MR points and Optimum points with that card (just the points card, not the CC) would be like doubledipping as both get something in the way of rewards.

Hope the above emails are the final response and put an end to the confusion.

bj-21.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Friend of mine owns a SDM and said that there is a new deal with Amex to continue accepting the card. He cited the lack of chip security as the main issue rather than the percentage that goes to Amex. Without the chip and pin, he estimated that there is about $40-$50K in fraudulent charges per month at his store.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by makemoretospendmore
Friend of mine owns a SDM and said that there is a new deal with Amex to continue accepting the card. He cited the lack of chip security as the main issue rather than the percentage that goes to Amex. Without the chip and pin, he estimated that there is about $40-$50K in fraudulent charges per month at his store.
40-50k per month? OMG!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Systemwide that would be a good estimate, but at just one store?
Besides, if Canada is so insecure, what's the US?
(Most of their cards don't even HAVE chips, and those that do require a signature!)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:18 pm

Jeez, doesn't anyone check ID anymore? That would EASILY solve the issue... It's not like they're busy there with long lines and can't afford to spend the 10 seconds it takes to double-check a driver's license!

Sometimes that's quicker than someone entering their PIN (not everyone is savvy with having to do anything but sign their name when they buy stuff)... Oh the many painful times I've had to wait in line while a person tried to remember their pin, or press the tiny little buttons...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Isn't it against the AMEX merchant agreement to require additional ID?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by antirealist
Isn't it against the AMEX merchant agreement to require additional ID?
I will not show ID to use a credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.