Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 5:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In the NYC metropolitan area if you need a tow on any of the HIGHWAYS, you must use the AUTHORIZED tow [AAA is NOT, I assume the same for AMEX].
So, I still have the towing rider on my auto insurance policy--this reimburses me for tows I paid for.
[I had the Toyota new car "package" when I bought my car. I broke down on the Northern State Parkway, the AUTHORIZED tow towed me 1 mile (for $100) to a CVS parking lot, Toyota (free tow--per package) towed me to dealer.]
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:02 am

@NRR - good to know re: NYC area

Friday night of MDW, locked car keys in the truck after work/pre happy hour. Post happy hour asked wife to check for second set at home, of course they were in my briefcase for no good reason, so both sets locked in the care.

Amex Platinum - called, within 30 minutes guy was there, friendly as can be , 1 signature, and I was on my way.

One odd thing - and this isn't AMEX specific, but I wasn't asked for ID. I mean, when I called in they verified my card info and who I was on the phone, but I met this roadside assistance guy outside the garage and rode in the car with him to my car inside - pointed it out, and he just opped the window open a bit and fished around to get the door unlocked to be able to pop the trunk open. It seemed a little "too easy."
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HHonors Gold
Roadside Assistance: Free or not???

A few weeks ago, I got a flat tire on the highway in Vermont. I called Amex Roadside assistance, thinking I was covered for up to 4 free incidents with my PRG card. The woman on the line said that it wasn't free and that it cost $62.50. It was raining, so I relented, and a tow truck showed up 45 minutes later to replace my flat with my spare tire.

But looking at the terms of the RA, it clearly states:

Premium Roadside Assistance provides the following services, where eligible, at no additional
cost up to 4 times per calendar year: towing up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change
when Card Member has a workable spare, lockout service when key is in vehicle and delivery of
up to 2 gallons of fuel. Lockout service may be unavailable for vehicles with transponder keys.
When I brought this up with Amex on a chat, they said I would have to call RA to sort it out but also mentioned something to the effect that "while the service is free, the cost to arrange the service is not". Which is ridiculous since everyone has a cell phone and can call AAA (or anyone else for that matter).

Should I call RA and expect them to reverse the charge or escalate this with Amex (since RA is a stated benefit for both PRG and Platinum cards)?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:48 am

Hmm.. that is weird - the only thing I can think of is you were outside some "service area" if you in a remote spot? Even that doesn't seem to be in the program features, only the tow - which you didn't need.

I'd go via a phone call to Amex CSR - not chat - and get that fee reimbursed.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:00 am

i've used it two nights in a row, both for a jump. (thought i left a light on the first time, but two nights in a row..??? well, this isn't driver talk so i'll move on.)

both times i was told 60-90 minutes and had someone there in under 30. i didn't have to show ID or the credit card to the mechanic, either.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:31 am

Last night, about 6pm Sunday, hit the curb and shredded a tire in front of the in laws (oy!).

Called, they said 50 minutes - I said please call someone else (we were like 20 minutes outside of Philly... not in the middle of no where). They did, 30 minutes was the estimate (ended up being 45+ minutes anyway).

Guy shows up in a sedan (I told them I just needed help removing the tire b/c the lug nuts were on too tight/a bit rusty, so didn't want to strip them myself - so wasn't TOTALLY surprised it wasn't a tow truck) with an "emergency repair" magnet on the side - nice guy, just not really confidence inspiring, especially when he didn't have the air gun that was needed and basically just hacked away with the tire iron on my lug nuts.

He eventually got it, so I was glad it wasn't my sweat - but still - my father in law the whole time kept saying "AAA would have been here faster with a tow truck" - that only added to my stress.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
Last night, about 6pm Sunday, hit the curb and shredded a tire in front of the in laws (oy!).

Called, they said 50 minutes - I said please call someone else (we were like 20 minutes outside of Philly... not in the middle of no where). They did, 30 minutes was the estimate (ended up being 45+ minutes anyway).

Guy shows up in a sedan (I told them I just needed help removing the tire b/c the lug nuts were on too tight/a bit rusty, so didn't want to strip them myself - so wasn't TOTALLY surprised it wasn't a tow truck) with an "emergency repair" magnet on the side - nice guy, just not really confidence inspiring, especially when he didn't have the air gun that was needed and basically just hacked away with the tire iron on my lug nuts.

He eventually got it, so I was glad it wasn't my sweat - but still - my father in law the whole time kept saying "AAA would have been here faster with a tow truck" - that only added to my stress.
next time you're on a trip with them, tell him that he has to wait outside the centurion lounge with his precious AAA card.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Used it for a jump about a month ago. Easy. Had to wait around 30-40 min but glad to get the help for free
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by levilevi
"AAA would have been here faster with a tow truck"
Amex does use some company that uses independent contractors for certain things (jump starts, tire changes) that sometimes respond in their personal cars. Although AAA doesn't do this AFAIK, they do sometimes respond with other than a tow truck. If all you need is a jump, gas, or a tire change, AAA will sometimes respond with an AAA-painted pickup truck. In both cases, they do this because it's cheaper.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Sucks that this doesn't come with the Canadian Plat!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:40 am

Called roadsid assistance on my PRG. Wife's car ran out of gas (gas gauge appears to be stuck/broken). Anyway, wife initially called and heard a pre-recorded voice message that "due to heavy call volume" they recommended calling back in 24 hours. That seems strange for a roadside assistance program. But then someone picked up pretty soon thereafter. The agent was helpful and understanding, and checked with their provider. She came back and estimated 75 minutes for someone to come by. She accepted.

By then, I had arrived with spare gas and gassed her up. I called to cancel the service call. I found it interesting that the agents all day, "I hope you have a better day," acknowledging that you're probably having a bad day if you're calling that number.

Anyway, other than the weird "call back" message, the service seemed comparable to AAA, etc. Although the expected wait seemed long, in my experience it's not out of the ordinary with AAA. But I have a sense that it is slower than other roadside assistance programs.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by missing_link
But I have a sense that it is slower than other roadside assistance programs.
Perhaps it's because I live in the heart of a big city (Chicago), but I do not think the waits for AMEX Roadside Assistance are long at all. I've lived in the city for twelve years. The waits are comparable to what I've experienced with AAA and other roadside assistance programs. I've never waited less than an hour but I strongly feel that's simply a product of urban living. Wait, wait and wait some more. For everything.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by missing_link
I found it interesting that the agents all day, "I hope you have a better day," acknowledging that you're probably having a bad day if you're calling that number.
Agreed - its a little touch that in the couple times I've used the service, helps take a little edge off and add a bit of a calming feeling as you hang up.

They are also good at calling/texting at the expected arrival time they quote - again, a little nice touch.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:27 pm

I used this feature in LA less than 6 mo ago. Was over my 3 annual calls to AAA and didnt want to pay and extra $$$ for the tow I needed. Found the wait to be somewhat excessive (1+HR at 10AM, midweek) compared to most of my AAA experiences but it worked out in the end and I was glad to have (and think to use) the benefit.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
I feel like a fool because my girlfriend's car had to be towed to a place about 2 minutes away, and I listened to a friend's advice and signed up for Triple A to get the car towed. Totally forgot about this amex benefit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.