Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX PRG
I have the PRG card and used the service on March 12th. I called and provided my information. Quoted a wait of up to 70 minutes for a jump/possible tow. Roadside assistance arrived in less than 30 minutes. The Amex line was great and provided a text message with details of the roadside assistance company. They called me 5 minutes before arrival to ensure I was near the vehicle. I signed 1 form for the roadside assistance company and they were on their way. Overall, this was simple and a great experience - Considering I needed a jump. A great benefit.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:56 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Platinum roadside assistance

Hey,

I had a browse through the forum but I didn't see too much detail.

I see with the platinum card you get premium roadside assistance. Has anyone got more details on this? For example...
1. Do I need to keep my AAA now I have this road side assistance?
2. From what I've read online they're pretty good at covering the costs

Anyway, anyone got any reviews on it?

Sorry if it's been discussed before but I've had no luck. Then again I am working on about 2 hours sleep so that might be why.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lewis42
Hey,

I had a browse through the forum but I didn't see too much detail.

I see with the platinum card you get premium roadside assistance. Has anyone got more details on this? For example...
1. Do I need to keep my AAA now I have this road side assistance?
2. From what I've read online they're pretty good at covering the costs
Here are the full details of premium roadside assistance, The one item to note is the fact that you will only receive reimbursement for the first 10 miles of a tow. In this case having towing added to your auto insurance may be worth it to you. Otherwise, I find the Premium Roadside Assistance to be very helpful.

Premium Roadside Assistance

Premium Roadside Assistance provides the following services, where eligible, at no additional cost up to 4 times per calendar year: towing up to 10 miles, winching, jump starts, flat tire change when Card Member has a workable spare, lockout service when key is in vehicle and delivery of up to 2 gallons of fuel. Lockout service may be unavailable for vehicles with transponder keys.

Terms and Conditions:

Coverage for these services is provided up to 4 times per calendar year.

1) Card Member will be charged for the costs of towing in excess of 10 miles and any other additional services.
 Towing is to the nearest authorized facility. The Card Member may request towing to a different facility provided that, if the towing exceeds 10 miles, the Card Member will be charged $3 for each additional mile.

2) In order to be eligible for coverage, services must be arranged through Premium Roadside Assistance.

3) Coverage is provided for self-propelled, four-wheel vehicles designed, licensed, and used for private on-road transportation, and trucks up to 10,000 lbs gross vehicle weight.

4) Certain types of vehicles are not covered including, but not limited to, rental vehicles, motorcycles, taxicabs, unlicensed vehicles, tractors and trucks over 10,000 lbs gross vehicle weight.

5) Coverage is available in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, regardless of mileage from primary residence.

6) Card Member must be present with the vehicle at time of service.

7) Services are provided as an emergency service and not a general maintenance type service. Emergency situations do not include: all parts, labor and supplies provided while at an auto repair shop or service station, towing to another location unless the initial service location is closed, service for taxicabs, tractors, boats, rental vehicles, ambulances, trucks, vehicles used for competition, unlicensed vehicles, illegally parked or impounded vehicles, or any vehicles in tow, rental and towing equipment, towing at the direction of law enforcement officer relating to traffic obstruction, impoundment, abandonment, illegal parking, or other violations of law or towing by other than a licensed service station or garage, installation or removal of snow tires, repairs to studs, mounting and dismounting snow chains, repeated service calls for a vehicle in need of routine maintenance or repair, shoveling snow from around a vehicle, vehicle storage or impoundment charges.

8) In the case of inclement weather or natural disasters, services may be unavailable.

9) Roadside Assistance may not be capable of contracting service on a restricted roadway. A restricted roadway is a roadway that only allows a specific towing company to service disablements that occur on the identified roadway. We will attempt to arrange for a restricted roadway service provider to service the vehicle, at the cost of the Card Member and at the rate specified by the service provider, but may be unable to do so. If towing
services at the cost of the Card Member are required, we will attempt to arrange service to a point where Roadside Assistance is able to provide further towing services under standard program coverage terms.

10) If you need further information on the Roadside Assistance program, please call 855-431-1156 or the number on the back of your Card.

As far as reviews go, read through this thread, and you will have a good impression of what Amex provides.

Last edited by eajusa; Jun 8, 2016 at 7:57 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by levilevi
Last night, about 6pm Sunday, hit the curb and shredded a tire in front of the in laws (oy!).

Called, they said 50 minutes - I said please call someone else (we were like 20 minutes outside of Philly... not in the middle of no where). They did, 30 minutes was the estimate (ended up being 45+ minutes anyway).

Guy shows up in a sedan (I told them I just needed help removing the tire b/c the lug nuts were on too tight/a bit rusty, so didn't want to strip them myself - so wasn't TOTALLY surprised it wasn't a tow truck) with an "emergency repair" magnet on the side - nice guy, just not really confidence inspiring, especially when he didn't have the air gun that was needed and basically just hacked away with the tire iron on my lug nuts.

He eventually got it, so I was glad it wasn't my sweat - but still - my father in law the whole time kept saying "AAA would have been here faster with a tow truck" - that only added to my stress.
I can confirm that when I called AAA due to a flat tire, they have sent someone in a Toyota Camry with a stick on AAA magnet.

Again, nice guy, change the tire on the side of the highway, but AAA doesn't always send a tow truck.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Just found a nail in my tire.

The car is still drivable, but I don't really have time in the next few days to go to the shop (when it's open) to get a patch.

I know RA will come and change my tire to the spare, but has anyone gotten them to come and just do the patch job right there?

If I were to just call my own mobile service guy, the cost would be just about the same either way (and far cheaper than a tow).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
When you call make the patch a request. I doubt they will have a truck that can take a tire off the rim. But if its not discussed you will never know. I typically ask questions but the operator may not want to interact, so I ask again
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:06 am

Last week my wife needed lockout assistance and the guy Amex sent out couldn't open a 2010 Honda Civic. If its a fancy new vehicle I could understand but not an older one and when the relevant year and model had been given to Amex. She called back and Amex wasn't willing to send another locksmith so the car needed to be towed to the dealership instead. Fortunately that was only 8 miles away but the experience hasn't really filled me with confidence
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:38 am

Using Amex Platinum Roadside Assistance as a Passenger?

May be a dumb question, but if you are a passenger in a car that has a flat or needs a tow, are you able to use the Amex Platinum Roadside Assistance? Or, do you need to be the car owner and/or the driver?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
May be a dumb question, but if you are a passenger in a car that has a flat or needs a tow, are you able to use the Amex Platinum Roadside Assistance? Or, do you need to be the car owner and/or the driver?
I'm not sure what the fine print says, but you should be fine. I've used this benefit a few times. I was never asked about the vehicle ownership. Just my location.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...nce-terms.html

my read of the terms above is that the cardholder must merely be present, and the vehicle must not be of an excluded type. So being a passenger is fine.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've used RA for my mom before. I had to drive to where she was to meet them, but the coverage goes with the cardholder, not then vehicle IME.

Be warned that response times can be long at certain times of day. I had to use RA a couple weeks ago when my truck wouldn't start. First call I was quoted a 3 hour wait time which I declined. Second call (about 6 hours later) they couldn't even find a tow service willing to take the work. Finally I called around 9pm, 14 hours after my initial attempt, and they were able to get a truck out an hour later.

Luckily I was able to just borrow my wife's car that day, and I hope the longer waits were because I broke down in my driveway and not the side of the road (so lower priority), but it did seem a bit ridiculous. The reps were nice enough but each call took around 30-45 mins while they got all my info again and then started calling around to tow companies while I was on hold.

This was all better than the CSR service, though. They processed the request quickly enough and assured me that a truck would be there in no more than an hour. After waiting around for a bit, I called the tow company directly who indicated that they had the request but had told Chase/Visa that it was more like 3-4 hours (at which point I cancelled and went about the rest of my day).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Since the thread was bumped I thought I'd post my recent experience. I had a positive one, with a helpful agent, and when I consented to text updates, I was provided a URL that tracked the experience which I liked. The driver was actually on site faster than promised (rare with a tow truck). My tow was 9.6 miles and the included (Plat benefits) is 10mi. Before hanging up, I was told that I am covered 100% so if the driver attempts to collect any surcharges to have him contact Amex because none are due. The driver did not attempt anything shady.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Since the thread was bumped I thought I'd post my recent experience. I had a positive one, with a helpful agent, and when I consented to text updates, I was provided a URL that tracked the experience which I liked. The driver was actually on site faster than promised (rare with a tow truck). My tow was 9.6 miles and the included (Plat benefits) is 10mi. Before hanging up, I was told that I am covered 100% so if the driver attempts to collect any surcharges to have him contact Amex because none are due. The driver did not attempt anything shady.
If there was something due (i.e., tow over the allotment of 10 miles), do we pay the driver or will AMEX bill us later/charge to card?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by robchow
If there was something due (i.e., tow over the allotment of 10 miles), do we pay the driver or will AMEX bill us later/charge to card?
You actually pay the driver. One time I had to pay and the tow operator didn't even except American Express only Visa or MasterCard. That one was funny!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by robchow
Just used Roadside Assistance today and you can have the AMEX customer service rep charge your card past 10 miles. They use Google Maps to calculate the distance.
mia, Statman, lotrbfme and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.