Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx USA match better new account offer?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:35 am

sorry about your luck, and I can't offer any help. But just curious, what card is this?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
AMEX doesn't match offers. Sorry.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by skiwindham
Spoke to CSR ...
Then escalated to a supervisor who said all she can do is fill out a complaint form....
If you keep calling a CSR will likely recommend that you close the account, and re-apply. DO NOT DO THIS, you will not be eligible for any bonus on the second card.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by mdosu
sorry about your luck, and I can't offer any help. But just curious, what card is this?
Its the Business Rewards Gold card. Amex called and offered 50,000 MR. I accepted as it didn't have the lifetime exclusion restriction. Now I see there's a public offer of 75,000 MR for the same spend requirement and also without the lifetime exclusion. Hoping they'll be lenient in my case due to the fact that they called me, unsolicited, with an inferior offer. But would like to reach a better contact. Any ideas?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:31 am
mia

... there's a public offer of 75,000 MR for the same spend requirement and also without the lifetime exclusion....
Do you have a link to this offer?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by mia
Do you have a link to this offer?
https://www262.americanexpress.com/b...4-1-WOC0000526
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:04 am
mia

For information, that is not a public offer, it is a long running targeted offer. You must login to apply, and when I attempt I see:

We are sorry, but you are not eligible for this offer. To learn about other offers that may be available to you, please call the number on the back of your Card. To go back to your account home page, click here.
...are you targeted?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by mia
For information, that is not a public offer, it is a long running targeted offer. You must login to apply, and when I attempt I see:

...are you targeted?
I receive the same message but believed it was because I already have the card. If it's indeed a targeted offer, then it'll weaken my argument that Amex should match me from the inferior offer. Which, again, was unsolicited on my part.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:54 pm
mia

...because I already have the card...
I believe not. You can review the thread linked in my previous reply to verify that anyone is able to see that page for that offer, but there is no way to apply except to login, which is a hallmark of a targeted offer.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:17 pm

darn, I was waiting for a 75k offer myself. When I log in, this is what I get too: We are sorry, but you are not eligible for this offer. To learn about other offers that may be available to you, please call the number on the back of your Card. To go back to your account home page, click here.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska, SPG Gold , Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta
Originally Posted by acarney
I'm going to go ballistic if that's the case, lol. The rep I spoke to never offered to bump it to someone else and in fact seemed to suggest NO ONE had access to assigning or changing introductory offers

That and then being hit with the fee increase announcement was rather annoying for me. In my personal situation I get zero extra perks except for the metal card... if they're trying to "one up" the CSR, between the much lower signup bonus, higher cost, and lackluster benefits (at least to me), they did a seriously poor job. CSR still is my go to card, Amex is just for lounge access and SPG/Hilton status.
Way late follow up. They did not honor the higher offer in my case.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:36 pm

Delta Gold - Offer match same-day

Wondering if anybody has recently had Amex match an offer after applying, especially when directly targeted. I applied for Delta Gold 30K miles after $1K. Approved instantly, refreshed screen, and now it shows 60K miles after $1K! Frustrated, I called Amex and calmly explained the situation, but the rep said nothing could be done. I re-applied anyways to see if I could get lucky, and tried calling back. Got a very friendly rep who did not imply she could not help me. I gave her the reference number on the 2nd application (online status shows as cancelled) and she said she would put in a request for me and I should call back in ~1 week to hear if they can help, but she said the fact that I applied should help as they'll have record of this offer being targeted to me.

In the meantime, curious to hear if there is anything else I can try or if people think I have any shot at getting the 60K offer. Pretty big difference considering I don't plan to spend much on the card, but am a Skymiles (work travel) user.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:31 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I had a similar scenario with the SPG Luxury card; 100K welcome bonus followed by a mailed targeted offer for 125K. Was told that nothing could be done (I wasn't offered even a token statement credit against the annual fee).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:59 pm

Received Better Targeded Sign Up Bonus Days After Approval

On Oct 8th I applied and was approved for the Gold Delta SkyMiles cedit card with a sign up bonus of 60k skymiles after 3k in purchases. 5 Days later I received a targeted email for the very same Gold Delta SkyMiles credit card with a sign up bonus of 75k miles. 50k after the first 2k in purchases and then 25k more after an additional 1k in purchases. Obviously the targeted offer is much better as it is the same spend requirement is practically the same but I would receive 15k more skymiles. When I contacted the Amex chat line the agent said that they cannot give me a match to the new offer. I find this astonishing as the offer was received only 5 days after my account opening and I know other companies have done this for me before. I also could have sworn I have read that other have had success getting this accomplished with Amex as well. I would appreciate anyone who was successful in getting Amex to adjust the offer to match the new one and what methods they had to use in order to get them to do so.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
AMEX does not match offers. They may give courtesy points but I’ve never been successful in asking for points and getting them. I’ve been offered points out of the blue when they blatantly mess up a billing issue or points issue.

Tough luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.