Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx USA match better new account offer?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 3:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PainCorp
...didn't want to dig up a year old thread with only one reply.
Understood
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:21 am
pkx

Delta Amex: Received better offer 1wk after receiving card

Has anyone successfully convinced Delta/Amex to give them the better offer?

I was likely qualified for the better offer at time of application of the original card.

I hit Silver last month - shortly thereafter, I went ahead and applied for the Platinum card with 30k mi / 5k MQM after spending $500.

As part of my 'You're now silver!' package I received in the mail yesterday, I received an offer for 35k / 10k MQM after spending $2k within 3mos.

I called Amex once and the phone rep didn't seem to comprehend what I was asking. Anyone think I'll have any luck if I call back and persist?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
I was able to match the BGR card, from 50k to 75k a few months back, but usually it's next to impossible to get them to match.

I had a very candid conversation with the CSR about how for someone bringing new business expenses to Amex that seeing a 50% higher bonus 2 weeks after getting the card really sucked and wasn't the best business move to keep customers long term. He agreed to match it and I was matched within a week or two of hitting the spend.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Wife got a flyer with her Delta Silver package earlier this year: DL AMEX Plat., 30k RDM + 10k MQM with a $2,000 spend in 3 months, & we took it. Two weeks later she received a directed mail piece from AMEX for the DL AMEX Plat. for 40k RDM + 15k MQM with a $2,000 spend in 3 months. I called & the best I could get, after talking to two CSRs, was an extra 5k RDMs (I was told the MQMs are "gold" and they can't/won't give them to match).

You should be able to get something, but what "something" will be is debatable.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...xperience.html
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:34 am

Any luck getting Amex to match higher offer for delta business card?

I recently got approved and received the delta skymiles gold business card for an offer of 30,000 miles and $50 statement credit for delta.com purchase. I logged into my Amex account and found the same card with a 35,000 mile offer. Called customer service twice to see if I can get that matched with no luck. Does anyone have success getting Amex to match a higher offer?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Possible to match to a higher sign-up bonus?

I am a bit disappointed to know that the sign-up bonus for the Hilton surpass card just got much better shortly after I got approved. Mine was only a 75k bonus after $3000 spending in 3 months. Is it possible to call and ask for a match? I knew it was easy with Chase but heard that not so easy with Amex. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Think with Amex you are out of luck
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:50 pm

I doubt it. I think mine is a 40k bonus with just the Amex Plat card and the day after I applied I saw wide spread 75k sign up offers. The card hadn't even been mailed to me yet and Amex said there wasn't anything they could do...
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There's no harm asking, but do NOT cancel the card and reapply, as some CSR's will advise. This won't work. You will receive no bonus on the second application, no matter what you were told.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Alaska, SPG Gold , Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta
Originally Posted by acarney
I doubt it. I think mine is a 40k bonus with just the Amex Plat card and the day after I applied I saw wide spread 75k sign up offers. The card hadn't even been mailed to me yet and Amex said there wasn't anything they could do...
I applied mid March on the 40k bonus offer linked through TPG website. I then saw the 75k offers when I visited Amex.com. I called and the first rep I spoke to said the only offer he saw for my account was the 40k. Offered to send me to a MR rep. I took him up on that. MR rep said she couldn't do anything authorizing the higher bonus but she did send my request on to corporate. I was told 7-10 days for a response.

This is my first Amex card. So, I'm hoping they will honor the higher bonus. Of course, that changes my initial spend to $5k.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by chadkilburn
I applied mid March on the 40k bonus offer linked through TPG website. I then saw the 75k offers when I visited Amex.com. I called and the first rep I spoke to said the only offer he saw for my account was the 40k. Offered to send me to a MR rep. I took him up on that. MR rep said she couldn't do anything authorizing the higher bonus but she did send my request on to corporate. I was told 7-10 days for a response.

This is my first Amex card. So, I'm hoping they will honor the higher bonus. Of course, that changes my initial spend to $5k.

I'm going to go ballistic if that's the case, lol. The rep I spoke to never offered to bump it to someone else and in fact seemed to suggest NO ONE had access to assigning or changing introductory offers

That and then being hit with the fee increase announcement was rather annoying for me. In my personal situation I get zero extra perks except for the metal card... if they're trying to "one up" the CSR, between the much lower signup bonus, higher cost, and lackluster benefits (at least to me), they did a seriously poor job. CSR still is my go to card, Amex is just for lounge access and SPG/Hilton status.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold
Applied with a 60k offer, just got a 75k offer

I applied for an Amex Platinum card yesterday with the standard 60k points/5k spend in the first 3 months offer. I just got a 75k offer today via the web site. I called the help # and opened a case with the POID for the 75k offer asking for that to be applied. What are the chances it gets applied to my card?

Thanks!
Old May 5, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Slim but you never know.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 3:57 pm

Who To Contact To Get Matching Offer?

Three weeks ago I was solicited by Amex (meaning they phoned me inviting me to apply) for one of their cards. The welcome bonus was 50,000 MR. I accepted their phone offer and was approved.
Now, only 3 weeks later, I discover on online welcome bonus offer of 75,000 MR. Exact same terms as the offer I was given.
Spoke to CSR who basically said "too bad." Nothing will be done.
Then escalated to a supervisor who said all she can do is fill out a complaint form.
Can anyone suggest another approach or contact to try and get Amex to match its offer? Tried online chat but as it's a virtual chat I didn't get any replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.