Wiki Posts
Search

FHR rates competitive?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Nice to know they'll match..
I believe the words the poster actually used were, "Most often, they would match it and still give me FHR amenities"

That is a subtle, but important difference from your statement which seems to presume they absolutely will match it.

There have been many reports in this forum of rates being matched, particularly with Four Seasons properties, but there have also been reports of that not happening on occasion. It's not a given. Remember, the decision to match rests with the property, not Amex.

However, as the poster rightly implies, it's absolutely worth calling to ask.

Regards
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
I believe the words the poster actually used were, "Most often, they would match it and still give me FHR amenities"

That is a subtle, but important difference from your statement which seems to presume they absolutely will match it.

There have been many reports in this forum of rates being matched, particularly with Four Seasons properties, but there have also been reports of that not happening on occasion. It's not a given. Remember, the decision to match rests with the property, not Amex.

However, as the poster rightly implies, it's absolutely worth calling to ask.

Regards
If you reread my post.. I never said that FHR would match all the time.. I said that its good to know that they'll match ..

No presumption of any frequency, or how often..
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:48 pm

If you reread my post.. I never said that FHR would match all the time.. I said that its good to know that they'll match ..

No presumption of any frequency, or how often..
Actually, I "re-read" your post a couple times prior to replying and a couple times while actually composing the response. Yet I still drew the conclusion I did.

So there are at least a couple viable possibilities:

1) My receiver is broken
2) Your transmitter is broken

Saying something such as, "It's good to know they'll match in some cases" would of course remove all ambiguity for anyone reading the post down the line (sometimes even a year or more down the line)

Regards
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Actually, I "re-read" your post a couple times prior to replying and a couple times while actually composing the response. Yet I still drew the conclusion I did.

So there are at least a couple viable possibilities:

1) My receiver is broken
2) Your transmitter is broken

Saying something such as, "It's good to know they'll match in some cases" would of course remove all ambiguity for anyone reading the post down the line (sometimes even a year or more down the line)

Regards
I neither said all the time or some of the time.. I only pointed out that FHR matching is good to know..

I think reading into a post and saying something is meant that isn't there sometimes happens..
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:09 pm

I think reading into a post and saying something is meant that isn't there sometimes happens..
And I think clear, unambiguous communication is the responsibility of the message sender, not the message receiver.

On that note, we can simply agree to disagree.

Enjoy your evening

Regards
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:13 pm
Suspended

And I think clear, unambiguous communication is the responsibility of the message sender, not the message receiver.

On that note, we can simply agree to disagree.

Enjoy your evening

Regards
Yes.. we can always agree to disagree..

Takes two to communicate.. and sometimes miscommunication happens.. with both sender and sometimes receiver.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:29 am

Thanks for the heads up!

Nice to know they'll match.. I presume for both Platinum and Centurion since FHR serve both.
I have noticed an increase recently in the number of my bookings where FHR is considerably higher than rack/promo rates. In these cases, I have called FHR (Platinum) to see what they can do for me. My success rate has been about 50% in getting FHR to match the rack/promo rate and still extend FHR benefits. My take is that FHR has to contact the hotel's inside reservations manager and work the deal, and that many factors (hotel capacity, knowledge and personality of the FHR rep, etc) make a difference.
From that perspective, I've had better luck using Virtuoso - they seem to have better skills working the inside sales crews.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
I have noticed an increase recently in the number of my bookings where FHR is considerably higher than rack/promo rates. In these cases, I have called FHR (Platinum) to see what they can do for me. My success rate has been about 50% in getting FHR to match the rack/promo rate and still extend FHR benefits. My take is that FHR has to contact the hotel's inside reservations manager and work the deal, and that many factors (hotel capacity, knowledge and personality of the FHR rep, etc) make a difference.
From that perspective, I've had better luck using Virtuoso - they seem to have better skills working the inside sales crews.
I've read that FHR and Virtuoso pretty much offers the same deals, promos, and packages.. Virtusoso I believe are higher skilled TA's that know the management and how the hotel works..

For us, we have the AeroplanPlus Amex which doesn't offer FHR, rather AC travel.. so we'll have to see how those packages are like..

I have luck actually of all things with bookings on Visa Infinite concierge, which I received a lower than normal rate booking at the Fairmont Mayakoba, and receiving full benefts.

Even with these options it pays to check them all out before pulling the trigger..
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:40 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by HookemHorns
I have noticed an increase recently in the number of my bookings where FHR is considerably higher than rack/promo rates.
I have as well. For example, in the past, FHR rates at Ritz-Carlton properties were usually the same as the best available rates that could be booked directly from the RC website. This year, however, a number of RC properties are loading in FHR rates that are higher than the BARs.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dw
I have as well. For example, in the past, FHR rates at Ritz-Carlton properties were usually the same as the best available rates that could be booked directly from the RC website. This year, however, a number of RC properties are loading in FHR rates that are higher than the BARs.
We've got the AeroplanPlus that doesn't have FHR..

Sounds like we aren't missing much..

That's pretty poor when rates are higher than the going retail rate.. Idea.. Visa Infinite Concierge provides best price match service.. so the lowest cancellable rate (packages, nonrefundable rates, special promos, etc.. do not qualify)..

Sounds like Amex FHR doesn't have this.. but they should.. since their competition has a price matching policy..
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
FHR rates competitive?

Just got my new card today and spent the afternoon researching FHR I was a little less then excited when I found the list of hotels and a good majority of them are hotels that although FINE are way overpriced. Maybe it is buyers remorse for paying $399 for the Canadian Amex Platinum.

After reading the thread Fine Hotel Resorts Upgrades (Not Vegas) and FHR Vegas upgrades I also started thinking that sure it is nice to get a $1200 room when you book a $600 per night room, but would I really feel that the $1200 room was even worth paying the $600 in the first place.

I agree all the FHR resorts are fine, so looking for value, which FHR resort is the least expensive?

Bellagio in Vegas at $140 - what others?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Vegas FHR hotels are usually quite cheap.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you want to look for the cheapest rates or the best upgrade/best percentage upgrade? Remember that it's normally a one category upgrade, which might price out at as little as $10. Look also at the value of the other goodies in the FHR program, especially the value of the special amenity (lunch, spa, noon check in, etc.) if you will use it. A $100 F&B credit makes that $400 room rate for one night look much better.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you want to look for the cheapest rates or the best upgrade/best percentage upgrade? Remember that it's normally a one category upgrade, which might price out at as little as $10. Look also at the value of the other goodies in the FHR program, especially the value of the special amenity (lunch, spa, noon check in, etc.) if you will use it. A $100 F&B credit makes that $400 room rate for one night look much better.
Cheapest..... I agree if you get a $150 room and a $100 FB credit WOW now we are talking.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
Cheapest..... I agree if you get a $150 room and a $100 FB credit WOW now we are talking.
Look at the wynn vegas. Rooms are often $160 a night and a breakfast credit of $40 per person per day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.