Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum Card / Hertz #1 Club Gold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mjshaw7
I have confirmed with agents from both AMEX and Hertz that the PLAT "one car class upgrade" is independent of the published Hertz benefits. I have received this benefit by asking what AMEX Platinum upgrades are available when picking up the car.

I have also never seen the 4 hour grace period benefit published on any Canadian AMEX literature but I have made use of it for bookings in the US with no issues (although I've had to mention it each time when returning the car late).
Do you use the Plat CDP code?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Do you use the Plat CDP code?
Yes, I use the PLAT CDP code which shows up as "Platinum Card from AMEX". I have also been able to use any Promotional Coupons (PC) I have.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:07 pm

4h grace is automatic

IME Hertz's system always gave me the grace if my return was within 4h of my rental.

As for the upgrades, sometimes I got none, sometimes I got upgraded stratospherically to Prestige Collection. In MIA last winter I booked a Fullsize for $44 and they gave me a Mercedes-Benz E350. Next 2 rentals (Palm Springs, smaller fleet) I got a Malibu and a Camry. Lunchbag letdown. Then, LAX, I got a Cadillac DeVille. Big airports like MIA and LAX, my AmexPlat upgrades seem sexier.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
While Hertz #1 Gold is marginal at best, and the Amex discount/upgrades are laughable, the 4 hour grace period is a very, very nice benefit.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cascade
While Hertz #1 Gold is marginal at best, and the Amex discount/upgrades are laughable, the 4 hour grace period is a very, very nice benefit.
Unfortunately it seems that if you're on a corporate rate, then using an Amex Plat adds no value at all (and I was already #1 Gold).
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Is the 4 hour grace period only at US locations or does it apply to locations outside the US (e.g. Europe)?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
U.S. Platinum

I don't know what the free-to-public version of Hertz Gold is like... but through AMEX Plat, I'm satisfied and find it to be a valuable benefit. Mrs. Henry82 and I have made a number of weekly rentals between us and have been upgraded enough times to be happy.

I do, however, believe that the value this benefit brings you has many factors involved... with the biggest variable being what Hertz locations you rent from.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:07 am

Unless using the AMEX Platinum CDP triggers an upgrade, it's a bit misleading to market a "complimentary car upgrade (subject to availability)" as part of the #1 Gold Club.

Hertz now list free class upgrades in their membership levels from Five Star and above.

I believe this might have changed over the past 12 months.

Having said that, #1 Gold members do still get upgrades as evidenced by the Upgrades thread in the Hertz forum.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:49 am

Just for reference, I confirmed with Hertz how the additional benefits work (for UK Platinum customers).

The benefits are:

• Up to 15% off, best publicly available rates at participating Hertz locations worldwide. In the US and Canada Cardmembers will receive up to 20% off rentals on similar rates. Some market exceptions apply. See Participating Hertz Countries(hotlink)

• Up to 25% off best publicly available rates on Hertz Prestige Collection when a Saturday night is included in the rental period. Available in Hertz Corporate Europe locations (see participating countries), US, Canada, Finland, Ireland, Norway and Sweden. 10% discount offered in Australia on Prestige and Fun collections.

• A 4-hour no charge grace period before an extra day charge is applied when returning the vehicle in Hertz Corporate Europe locations, the U.S., Canada, Latin America, Middle East (with exception of UAE and Bahrain who offer 2 hours grace period) and selected European Franchise countries (see participating countries). Asia, with the exception of China, offers a 2-hour no charge grace period, except on optional extras like portable phones.

• A One-car-class upgrade subject to availability, with restrictions in some locations (does not include Prestige collection). See Participating Countries for more details.

These are triggered by using the CDP #633306. This needs to be added to your membership and used for bookings in order to get the above benefits.

T&Cs - https://images.hertz.com/pdfs/English_PTCs.pdf
Participating Locations - https://images.hertz.com/pdfs/English_PHL.pdf

I was also advised to request an upgrade, if available, when making a reservation.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:36 am

I think the UK CDP is actually 211762
I used the above one and this one on a comparative booking and it was quite a bit cheaper. I think 25% off versus 15% off for everything else the same.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enda1
I think the UK CDP is actually 211762
I used the above one and this one on a comparative booking and it was quite a bit cheaper. I think 25% off versus 15% off for everything else the same.
That is the same code on the AMEX US Platinum site.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:00 am

211762 is CDP Platinum Card From AMEX

633306 is CDP AMEX Platinum EMEA

Both are giving me the same rate when trying to book on the Hertz UK website.

Both don't seem to like having PC codes used in conjunction with them
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:06 pm
Original Member

According to the US Platinum site

Fee-waived membership in Hertz Gold Plus RewardsŪ - a $60/year value
Expedited service at over 40 of the world's largest airports (no stopping at the counters)
Up to 20% off best contract rate at participating Hertz locations worldwide
Up to 25% off best contract rate on Hertz Prestige Collection weekend rentals
A 4-hour no-charge grace period, before an extra day charge is applied (When returning the vehicle in the U.S.)
10% bonus on Hertz Gold Plus RewardsŪ (This is new)
A One-car-class upgrade (Subject to availability. Valid on rental of Compact through Full-size vehicles.)
Ability to earn airline miles or free car rental days

I've seen the 4-hour grace apply to certain rates in Germany. It wasn't across the board but I've seen it.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by seawolf
A 4-hour no-charge grace period, before an extra day charge is applied (When returning the vehicle in the U.S.)
Not exactly true on this one.

I booked a car at LAS using AMEX Platinum CDP and used AMEX Platinum to pay. Even the contract showed the 4-hour grace period. Hertz LAS still charged for the extra (the car was returned exactly 4 minutes before the return time on the contract).

AMEX ended with paying the extra on their own through dispute.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:06 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by garykung
Not exactly true on this one.

I booked a car at LAS using AMEX Platinum CDP and used AMEX Platinum to pay. Even the contract showed the 4-hour grace period. Hertz LAS still charged for the extra (the car was returned exactly 4 minutes before the return time on the contract).

AMEX ended with paying the extra on their own through dispute.
If the contract and/or reservation indicated the 4-hour grace, AMEX probably thought the amount was too small to dedicate someone to flight Hertz for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.