Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK Platinum increase to £450 (July 2012)? What new benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Platinum increase to £450 (July 2012)? What new benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: Yes please
Originally Posted by magyaar
Far from it. It have plenty of friends I have tried to get to take out an Amex BAPP, pointing out if they simply put all their expenses and shopping etc on it, they'd be able to get two CW returns to the USA for their annual holiday for the same overall price as paying to go Y.

Really is something for nothing, but they just refuse to believe me!
It certainly is 'something-for-nothing' in my case as I still get the BAPP at the grandfathered rate - i.e. free - despite having cancelled my Plat card in February!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Isn't it amazing how people are inclined to be suspicious of these kind of things? Couple of colleagues who fly a lot but are very mix n match with their airlines (and don't really go into the air miles thing) were discussing status the other day. I piped up about being able to buy status via Plat, and they were sceptical. I showed them the links on my account, and they still refused to believe it.. "There'll be a catch... You don't get something for nothing", etc.

I think that being on FT has led me to the false assumption that everyone knows how to play the status/airmiles game. Clearly that's not the case.
It costs £450 a year. Hardly something for nothing!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by magyaar
Far from it. It have plenty of friends I have tried to get to take out an Amex BAPP, pointing out if they simply put all their expenses and shopping etc on it, they'd be able to get two CW returns to the USA for their annual holiday for the same overall price as paying to go Y.

Really is something for nothing, but they just refuse to believe me!
For us here, it is often just a simple math, but for others it is a very different world.
Many people will be horrified to hear there is an annual fee for a credit card.

I have many friends who will not even bother to collect Airline miles at all
They believe they will never have enough miles for anything....and it is too much effort.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: not a lot
Made the call today - decided to downgrade to the Green Charge Card for £60 per year. Decided that £450 just wasn't good value for me as I can get the important parts for quite a bit less elsewhere.

I enquired about just keeping my Amex Platinum Credit Card which gives membership rewards but told as it was a companion card I need a membership rewards Charge Card as well.

I probably would have kept it going at £300 but at £450 it doesn't offer enough for me.

Surprisingly they did a full application for the downgrade including credit check.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by LiviLion
Made the call today - decided to downgrade to the Green Charge Card for £60 per year. Decided that £450 just wasn't good value for me as I can get the important parts for quite a bit less elsewhere.
Why didn't you go with the gold card? Free for first year, double points on supermarket/fuel spend, even the outside chance that you could successfully refer yourself.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by LiviLion

I enquired about just keeping my Amex Platinum Credit Card which gives membership rewards but told as it was a companion card I need a membership rewards Charge Card as well.

I probably would have kept it going at £300 but at £450 it doesn't offer enough for me.

Surprisingly they did a full application for the downgrade including credit check.
So sounds like getting the companion card then cancelling doesn't work then
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Doesn't the green card come with a membership rewards card?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Doesn't the green card come with a membership rewards card?
I thought that the green card wasn't available to new UK applicants? Though in any case it does come with a MR option but at extra cost
Old Jun 6, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
I thought that the green card wasn't available to new UK applicants? Though in any case it does come with a MR option but at extra cost
It is on the main website although it is called The American Express card.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:09 pm

Saw the below offer when I logged into my account today.

Get a going away present with 2,500 Membership Rewards®
When you book with American Express Travel

Book online between 13 June and 1 August 2013 and earn 2,500 bonus Membership Rewards points when you spend over £250 on your American Express Card for the first time during this period.

For products that are booked on the American Express Travel but are paid directly to the supplier (i.e. Fine Hotels & Resorts) Cardmembers are not eligible to earn the additional 2,500 bonus Membership Rewards points.

There is a minimum spent, but might be useful for some.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:42 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Rang up this morning to cancel my Plat card before the new fee kicked in. Was asked why I am cancelling - simple answer of the annual fee being too high.|
The rep asked me if I wanted to convert to a gold card for a lower fee.
I asked how much and was told £268
I politely declined and there was no further attempt to talk me into staying with them.

Nick
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
Rang up this morning to cancel my Plat card before the new fee kicked in. Was asked why I am cancelling - simple answer of the annual fee being too high.|
The rep asked me if I wanted to convert to a gold card for a lower fee.
I asked how much and was told £268
I politely declined and there was no further attempt to talk me into staying with them.

Nick
There is a hybrid card they only offer to Plat's who downgrade. It is basically the Gold card with the Plat insurance!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:09 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
There is a hybrid card they only offer to Plat's who downgrade. It is basically the Gold card with the Plat insurance!
Would you be able to maintain the legacy BA Prem fee-free with this do you reckon?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Yes please
Originally Posted by uk1
Would you be able to maintain the legacy BA Prem fee-free with this do you reckon?
I have so far maintained my free BAPP despite cancelling my Plat card. It seems to be a case of they don't ask and you don't tell.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by uk1
My BA PP statement says 'no fee as long as you hold a companion card'. I reckon if I downgraded to normal Gold, possibly even Green, I might keep it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.