Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK Platinum increase to £450 (July 2012)? What new benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Platinum increase to £450 (July 2012)? What new benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
What an absolutely useless bunch of BS. Pathetic.

As noted above, ditch this and take out comprehensive AmEx insurance and you're going to be better off. Even with the 150 GBP saving on my BA card, I'm not paying net 300 for this crap. As if I need poxy CX status when I have BA GGL. Once in my entire card tenure I've taken a PP guest in. Every single 'best price guarantee' is ultimately going to turn into marketing puff, riddled with loopholes to deny you claims. And they already reduced the insurance benefits this year.

PS Thanks MoneyBagger for the scan!

Last edited by mia; Apr 18, 2012 at 10:18 am Reason: Rude
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:31 am
formerly maskelo

Will we be able to redeem miles to Le Club Accor?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maskelo
Will we be able to redeem miles to Le Club Accor?
Would be sensible if so - depending on the transfer ratio it might not be a totally unreasonable use of MR points.
Your A-club points can be redeemed for e-vouchers that can be used at any of the following properties:

Sofitel,
Pullman,
MGallery,
Novotel,
Suite Novotel,
Mercure,
ibis**,
all seasons,
Adagio Aparthotels, and
Thalassa establishments

Vouchers are available for 2000pts each, in the following currencies and values:

60 AUD (Australian Dollars)
90 BRL (Brazillian Reals)
30 GBP (British Pounds)
40 EUR (Euros)
60 USD (United States Dollars)
If this was 1:1 this would compare to £8 for 2,000MR for straight AMEX redemptions (pro-rated from £10 for 2,500).
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Would be sensible if so - depending on the transfer ratio it might not be a totally unreasonable use of MR points.If this was 1:1 this would compare to £8 for 2,000MR for straight AMEX redemptions (pro-rated from £10 for 2,500).
I think you can only buy EUR or USD vouchers now.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chistery
I think you can only buy EUR or USD vouchers now.
Ah OK, thanks - the Accor site itself wasn't very clear so had to rely on a 3rd-party site.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Ah OK, thanks - the Accor site itself wasn't very clear so had to rely on a 3rd-party site.
It changed a while ago and generated a few complaints on here. So if you pay in another currency expect delays at check out as they try and work out what to do.

I do like a Sofitel, but they are just so useless at recognising their loyal members. Though I do recommend the Sofitel Vienna, lovely hotel and they are the only Sofitel to give me all the benefits without asking.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Some clarification from their Twitter team re. duration of benefits:
Originally Posted by @AskAmex_UK
Hi Alan, Cathay is an ongoing benefit but Hilton is still just for one year at the moment. ^David
I've replied saying that isn't clear from the documentation!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by MoneyBagger
Uploaded the main bits to here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/89972697/Your

Not really worth a 50% fee hike imo.
Thanks. Very interesting.

I was struck by the extension of the hotel loyalty cards to the supplemental cardholders, and that the OW lounge access is indeed by virtue of CX Gold.

My chief question concerns the renewability of the loyalty schemes. Hilton Gold has up to now been a one year only deal. This limitation is not mentioned in the table. Does that mean it is changing? Or does that mean that this limitation is being obfuscated? If the latter, is the CX Gold access also for one year only?

My other question is whether I get to keep my CX Diamond card.

EDIT: Hmph. Answered above. Must type faster.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

See my post above, redshift27
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:40 pm

See my post above, redshift27
But do I keep my CX Diamond card?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

LOL that's just showing off
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Lame. For frequent travellers, who are the only people who benefit from the perks, then the benefits aren't worth much. This will be an easy cancellation for me next year.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by stueys
Lame. For frequent travellers, who are the only people who benefit from the perks, then the benefits aren't worth much. This will be an easy cancellation for me next year.
Agree - if you are already BA Silver or above, and have achieved high tiers in one or more hotel loyalty schemes, then there is little to see here.

If you don't travel at all, ditto.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I spend 40-50 nights per year in hotels, for leisure not work. I fly 25-30 segments per year. I can get Platinum in IHG but cannot achieve it in any other scheme. I was BD*G for a while but now I can just about get BA Bronze without silly mileage runs (which I do not have time for). There are some useful perks here with respect to lounge access, seat selection and potential hotel upgrades (and the Carlson Gold 241 weekend rates do offer some very good deals in some cities). I have a lot of Avios to burn and can see a lot of cheap city European city breaks in the next couple of years made more pleasant by OW Sapphire (or even Emerald).

Factor in my £150 discount against the BAPP card (and I wonder if this fee is going up soon - all their other cards have done), and some value in the crippled travel insurance, and it may be worth it ... to be re-evaluated year by year. I won't have to decide until May 2013.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I got my booklet today.

As it says the fee will not increase until the anniversary of my October 2012 card, I assume the fee will not increase until October 2013 and I could cancel in September 2013 and not get charged the £450 fee?

I have dropped down from Hilton Gold to Silver ( i think I got Hilton gold originally through Amex in 2001 when I first got the card- does this mean I could reapply for Hilton ( same with SPG?)

Will need to consider as I could probably get PP and an annual travel policy for myself for less than £450 pa)

Many thanks

TBS
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
As it says the fee will not increase until the anniversary of my October 2012 card, I assume the fee will not increase until October 2013 and I could cancel in September 2013 and not get charged the £450 fee?
I read it to mean that the new fee will apply on the anniversary which occurs in October 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.