Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK Platinum increase to £450 (July 2012)? What new benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Platinum increase to £450 (July 2012)? What new benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:39 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Intercontinental Ambassador?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Yeah... Actually if they offered HH Diamond, status with BA and a 40k MR bonus for renewal, they'd keep me.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by DVT
Intercontinental Ambassador?
Hardly, seeing as they are dropping transfers to PCR at the end of June.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:22 am

I have just been speaking to a CS at Amex, and I enquired about the changes I saw at their website.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I was told that the changes and new T&C will be officially launch on this coming Monday. However, as we all noticed the website is already ready.
Letters apparently will be sent out to the existing members on Monday.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
I have just been speaking to a CS at Amex, and I enquired about the changes I saw at their website.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I was told that the changes and new T&C will be officially launch on this coming Monday. However, as we all noticed the website is already ready.
Letters apparently will be sent out to the existing members on Monday.
I had the exact same conversation this afternoon, letters to arrive soon detailing all of the wonderful new things to justify the 50% increase.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Same chat for me this morning Apparently packs going out starting next week to explain the new benefits (of which there should be a few) and cut-off date for fee increase for existing customers is still a few months away. Will need to wait to see the detail but it does seem to have been a bit of a snafu releasing the increase before describing the benefits
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:25 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Same chat for me this morning Apparently packs going out starting next week to explain the new benefits (of which there should be a few) and cut-off date for fee increase for existing customers is still a few months away. Will need to wait to see the detail but it does seem to have been a bit of a snafu releasing the increase before describing the benefits
Did they tell you what the benefits are?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Full details due next week but sounded like a free guest allowed with the PP cards, more UK (rather than just SE England) restaurant deals, international golf resort package & poss more. Will see what the info pack says. Sadly no move on the 2.99% forex fee although they're aware how many of us want this!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:22 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Full details due next week but sounded like a free guest allowed with the PP cards, more UK (rather than just SE England) restaurant deals, international golf resort package & poss more. Will see what the info pack says. Sadly no move on the 2.99% forex fee although they're aware how many of us want this!
I hope there is something more, because I wouldn't pay 5p for those!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Indeed - am hoping it looks better when all spelt out. At least my renewal is imminent so any extra benefits won't cost me for this year.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I wonder if the fee increase indicates that the insurance benefit will be restored? Reducing the insurance coverage -and- raising the fee would be a peculiar strategy.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...uary-25th.html
I agree. Particularly because I valued the insurance benefits very highly, and would have been prepared to pay more to keep them as they were.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I will wait and see about the new benefits as the increase to £450 pa will probably cause me to think about cancelling it.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
What's this rubbish about golf all about?

Who cares about flippin' golf?

Most of the golfers among us probably have centurion anyway right?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by chistery
How about status with BA or VS? Why stick with CX?
They will never offer BA status, it destroys BA's value proposition. I bet BA is also VERY peeved with Amex for offering Cathay status.

I could see VS status coming in, but what use is it? There are no real partners, so you would only use the card if you flew long-haul economy on VS ... and that's not something I am planning to do anytime soon!

Permanent Cathay Gold would be amazing (for me, as someone who spends real money to retain BA status) but I really can't see it.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Raffles
They will never offer BA status, it destroys BA's value proposition. I bet BA is also VERY peeved with Amex for offering Cathay status.
Cutting their nose off to spite their face by not offering it IMO.

Do they not like money or something?

How about a £500 a year BA card including status (Bronze at least) and 10% off flights like they do for a certain US based Visa card, then an upgrade to silver when spend reaches X.

Wakey wakey BA, we know you do like money really

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.