FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300482-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-wn-2011-2019-a.html)

tuckeg Jan 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by flytoski (Post 20034200)
Yes, and ONCE a year.

How does AMEX interpret this? Suppose you first enroll in January and choose an airline. Now in the same month can you change to a different airline? Since your initial selection is a choice, not a change from anything technically it would seem that the change would be allowed.

I ask because if you initially select SW and the charge for a GC is not reimbursed you could switch to a different "safe" airline this month and purchase $200 in GCs from them.

flytoski Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by tuckeg (Post 20062281)
How does AMEX interpret this? Suppose you first enroll in January and choose an airline. Now in the same month can you change to a different airline? Since your initial selection is a choice, not a change from anything technically it would seem that the change would be allowed.

I ask because if you initially select SW and the charge for a GC is not reimbursed you could switch to a different "safe" airline this month and purchase $200 in GCs from them.

That sounds like twice to me.

I can see for miles Jan 22, 2013 2:01 pm

A gift certificate data point: Bought a $200 SWest gift certificate in December, and I didn't automatically receive the incidental benefits credit. I called after four weeks, explained that my incidental benefits credit hadn't posted, and the CSR processed it so that it posted. She was friendly did ask what my wife (it's her card) charged; I told a white lie, that I didn't know but thought it was for change and baggage fees.

In January I Bought four $50 SW gift certificates on my Platinum and four $50 SW GCs on my wife's Platinum. Full credits for both posted automatically in a few days.

mgchan Jan 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by I can see for miles (Post 20102233)
A gift certificate data point: Bought a $200 SWest gift certificate in December, and I didn't automatically receive the incidental benefits credit. I called after four weeks, explained that my incidental benefits credit hadn't posted, and the CSR processed it so that it posted. She was friendly did ask what my wife (it's her card) charged; I told a white lie, that I didn't know but thought it was for change and baggage fees.

In January I Bought four $50 SW gift certificates on my Platinum and four $50 SW GCs on my wife's Platinum. Full credits for both posted automatically in a few days.

Did you re-select WN as your airline? I didn't, and I didn't get anything posted within a week (also for a $50 card).

kaichief Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm

I got the platinum when the 100k was up. Signed up for southwest and I purchased $200 worth of SW gift cards. 10 days went by without being reimbursed. I needed to book a flight on American so I decided to switch my airline to American and bought $200 worth of AA gift cards. 4 days later I was reimbursed.

BaronvdB Jan 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by mgchan (Post 20108780)
Did you re-select WN as your airline? I didn't, and I didn't get anything posted within a week (also for a $50 card).

Originally Posted by kaichief (Post 20111733)
I got the platinum when the 100k was up. Signed up for southwest and I purchased $200 worth of SW gift cards. 10 days went by without being reimbursed. I needed to book a flight on American so I decided to switch my airline to American and bought $200 worth of AA gift cards. 4 days later I was reimbursed.

Does anybody know of anybody getting a credit automatically posted after buying a southwest gift card? I currently have southwest selected as my airline b/c i use them the most but if this is going to turn into a headache I might switch it to a more reliable airline. I only have until 1/31 to decide.

My experience. I signed up for the 100k point offer for the Amex platinum card a couple weeks ago. I selected southwest as my airline on 1/9, bought a $50 credit card on 1/10. To date i haven't got any credit. I thought maybe b/c i bought the gift card so soon after selecting the airline I'd give it another shot so i bought another $10 SW gift card on 1/23. Still no credit for that one either.

I'd really like to know if anyone anywhere has got a SW credit for gift cards this year. I'm thinking they may have closed that door.

BaronvdB Jan 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by BaronvdB (Post 20126365)
Does anybody know of anybody getting a credit automatically posted after buying a southwest gift card? I currently have southwest selected as my airline b/c i use them the most but if this is going to turn into a headache I might switch it to a more reliable airline. I only have until 1/31 to decide.

My experience. I signed up for the 100k point offer for the Amex platinum card a couple weeks ago. I selected southwest as my airline on 1/9, bought a $50 credit card on 1/10. To date i haven't got any credit. I thought maybe b/c i bought the gift card so soon after selecting the airline I'd give it another shot so i bought another $10 SW gift card on 1/23. Still no credit for that one either.

I'd really like to know if anyone anywhere has got a SW credit for gift cards this year. I'm thinking they may have closed that door.

Well, my $10 gift card purchase was reimbursed automatically today. I'm guessing that the original $50 isn't going to get reimbursed so I'm thinking about trying again and hoping for the best.

EDIT: just bought another $75 gift card today 1/26. We'll see what happens i guess.

johnb102 Jan 29, 2013 6:25 am

I was reimbursed automatically in a couple of days on a $50 gc and two
$75 cards.

BaronvdB Jan 29, 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by johnb102 (Post 20144943)
I was reimbursed automatically in a couple of days on a $50 gc and two
$75 cards.

Did you use a windows machine? What browser?

I'm starting to wonder if that makes a difference. I wasn't reimbursed for my first $50 SW GC purchase, or my latest $75 SW GC purchase, but I was reimbursed for a $10 SW GC purchase I made in between those other two. I'm trying to think back and I may have purchased the $10 SW GC while I was at work on a windows machine and I'm pretty sure I bought the $50 and $75 GC's on my home Apple computer. I'm not 100% positive though. So far I'm out $125 in SW GC I haven't got reimbursed for.

kwest2 Jan 30, 2013 10:44 am

My experience:

Registered for WN 1/29.
Bought 4x $50 GC 1/30. Pending on account for $200 transaction, category: Travel - Airline

Will update on reimbursement.

UPDATE: $200 credit posted Friday, 2/1/13, two days after the posted transaction date of my GC purchase.

Beckles Jan 30, 2013 5:40 pm

Switched to WN this month, purchased two tickets for just under $70 each and received credit for them four days later.

BaronvdB Feb 2, 2013 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by BaronvdB (Post 20148214)
Did you use a windows machine? What browser?

I'm starting to wonder if that makes a difference. I wasn't reimbursed for my first $50 SW GC purchase, or my latest $75 SW GC purchase, but I was reimbursed for a $10 SW GC purchase I made in between those other two. I'm trying to think back and I may have purchased the $10 SW GC while I was at work on a windows machine and I'm pretty sure I bought the $50 and $75 GC's on my home Apple computer. I'm not 100% positive though. So far I'm out $125 in SW GC I haven't got reimbursed for.

bought another $75 SW GC and got credit about 4-5 days after purchase. So I've got automatic credit for two $75 GC and one $10 GC but never got any credit for the $50 GC I bought first. Might see if they can manually credit that or something.

My advice: wait a couple days after choosing southwest as your airline before you buy the gift cards and use a windows machine if you can (not sure if it matters but it might).

The overweight charge is $50 and going up to $75 so that's why i choose those amounts.

mulbry Feb 9, 2013 1:43 am

bought $75 SW gift card. posted on 2/3. refund posted on 2/7. (with a mac)

Lazbum Feb 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Just a data point. Bought a $50 gc on 2/5 and had the statement credit post on 2/9.

mrnik2007 Feb 12, 2013 4:45 pm

I just got my card. Any suggestions on how to get SW gift card reimbursement? Where do I go to make the purchase?

Thank you in advance for your help.