FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1300482-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-wn-2011-2019-a.html)

CEUflyer Jan 5, 2013 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mgchan (Post 19976103)
I designated last year, and my understanding was that you can change within the first month of the year. I was thinking I could just charge one and, if I don't get reimbursed within a few days, ask to switch for the year.

Please report back if you try the WN gift certs this year.

leftpinky Jan 7, 2013 2:16 am

If you call in, the rep will often credit the fee manually. Did this for flight purchases around ~$75 a couple times. Hassle, but I was $80 away from hitting the $200, so it was the only way this past year

fwoomp Jan 7, 2013 10:27 pm

To follow up on my earlier post, I did ultimately get credited for my egift card purchases. I figured if they were denying the charges because of what they were for, then they could just come right out and say so. So after the three weeks were up, I sent another message. I got a very brief, polite response from a rep apologizing for the credit not clearing already and that he would go ahead and credit my account.

Because of the language used in the messages, I got the feeling that they knew I was trying to get away with something, and that they'd let it go this time, but the jig is up. It's possible I'm being paranoid.

I am planning to switch to another airline with more options for using the credit.

oviedo1352 Jan 9, 2013 2:06 pm

GC reimbursement for Southwest

Trying to pick between Southwest and US Air. Would prefer Southwest GC's - but they seem to be hit/miss as compared to USAir. Would love hear other opinions b4 I pick an airline and commit. TIA.

mgchan Jan 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Purchased $50 GC on 1/4, still nothing posted yet. From other threads, credits generally post within 5 days or so.

Maybe I could call and talk my way into a credit but I'm not going to bother. I'll give it a couple days and if nothing posts, I'll just switch to another airline.

farbster Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Jan 8 purchase for me and I'll report back. Nothing yet. $25 charge only

flytoski Jan 10, 2013 8:28 pm

Just enrolled in Southwest and my plan is to purchase four $50 gift cards, one each month, for the next four months. Hope this .... works.

budblab Jan 11, 2013 4:42 am

I purchased a $50 GC in November and was not reimbursed.

flytoski Jan 12, 2013 9:31 am

Would someone please help to compile a list of all officially ELIGIBLE Southwest fees? I am very hopeful that purchasing gift cards will be reimbursed, but if it isn't, I still want to take advantage of this by paying for things and having them be reimbursed. If I remember, they don't take credit cards for drinks/etc during flights at all, right? So what is actually eligible given that fees are few and far between on Southwest?

thebat Jan 12, 2013 11:41 am

Originally Posted by mgchan (Post 19976103)
I designated last year, and my understanding was that you can change within the first month of the year. I was thinking I could just charge one and, if I don't get reimbursed within a few days, ask to switch for the year.

It is explicit in the TOS you can change airlines in January of the new year.

flytoski Jan 12, 2013 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by thebat (Post 20032743)

Yes, and ONCE a year.

mgchan Jan 13, 2013 2:18 am

Originally Posted by thebat (Post 20032743)

I know, I meant that I could have a free test to see if my gift card purchase would be reimbursed since I was defaulted to WN from the year before. I bought a GC while still linked to WN but since Amex no longer reimburses gift cards, I haven't used my benefit. Based on that I went ahead and switched to UA and got a GC from them.

@flytoski, WN only takes credit cards and vouchers for drinks. I would think that drinks and Wifi, which I think is charged by Southwest, would qualify. Personally, with no baggage or change fees I would find it hard to spend $200 on incidentals.

flytoski Jan 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mgchan (Post 20036247)
I know, I meant that I could have a free test to see if my gift card purchase would be reimbursed since I was defaulted to WN from the year before. I bought a GC while still linked to WN but since Amex no longer reimburses gift cards, I haven't used my benefit. Based on that I went ahead and switched to UA and got a GC from them.

@flytoski, WN only takes credit cards and vouchers for drinks. I would think that drinks and Wifi, which I think is charged by Southwest, would qualify. Personally, with no baggage or change fees I would find it hard to spend $200 on incidentals.

Okay, thanks. I thought it was cash only. http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs...light_menu.pdf. I wonder how the coding shows up to Amex. So if you just send them a message that the payment was for drinks, will they credit the account? Sneaky, I know.

johnb102 Jan 15, 2013 12:33 pm

I charged $50 for a Southwest Gift Card which posted on 1/12 and a credit showed up on 1/14. I just realized you can only use 3 gift cards per ticket, so I am just tried a $75 purchase and hope that gets reimbursed as well.

mgchan Jan 16, 2013 2:10 am

Originally Posted by johnb102 (Post 20052408)
I charged $50 for a Southwest Gift Card which posted on 1/12 and a credit showed up on 1/14. I just realized you can only use 3 gift cards per ticket, so I am just tried a $75 purchase and hope that gets reimbursed as well.

Interesting. My $50 WN gift card didn't get reimbursed for a week, so I switched my carrier to UA and got a $200 card which was reimbursed in 2 days.