Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by comptalk
Thank you for this. Apologies to other vets with airlines. I normally do not fly, so I am a bit inept in this area, so I appreciate the people who work with me in explaining how things work with airlines.

I read the travel bank expires in 90 days, not a year. Is this still true?
Originally Posted by comptalk
Not everyone knows all the ins and outs of the airline credit. I posted to inquire on the best way to learn how the fee works and how to legally take advantage of it.
What GundamWing01 is referring to is that the very thread you are posting in, which is now up to about ~2300 posts is dedicated to discussing nothing but how to utilize the credit. The answers you seek are already contained within the thread and in the Wiki at the top of the page. Rather than asking all of us to "re-answer" a question specially for you, which has already been addressed ad nauseam, my recommendation to you would be how about you take 30 minutes to review the substantially collected and already documented wisdom in this thread to answer your own question.

I don't mean to seem rude, but the entire purpose of this thread is to document what is known and many of us who read these forums frequently tend to get rather annoyed when someone pops in, completely ignores 2300+ posts of documented information/knowledge and then just asks to be spoon fed the answer quickly because they don't feel like reviewing the thread and just want the answer now.

Happy reading!

Regards
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:31 pm

I can confirm that changing an existing flight (versus canceling and rebooking) also works. Needed a flight that was $128.98, booked a different flight (same origin and destination) for $98.98 on a Biz Plat. Immediately changed it and paid the $30 difference with the same card. Both charges refunded within 4 days.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by abcx
Given this issue, what gives people confidence that Amex won't ultimately claw back all these credits as they've done with others that people weren't entitled to?
I don't think anyone can be confident that Amex won't claw the credit back. However, if you have credit that will otherwise be wasted, why not just try and hope for the best?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:24 pm

Instead of purchasing refundable cash fares on SW, why don't people purchase international flights with points that come with high taxes/fees. For example, a one way flight from Cabo to Los Angeles has ~$50 in fees, which can be refunded to your credit card directly rather than getting a future travel credit. I guess this could be riskier for clawbacks since Amex might not like the refund on the credit card.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by benjinito
I don't think anyone can be confident that Amex won't claw the credit back. However, if you have credit that will otherwise be wasted, why not just try and hope for the best?
true. but screw that if I need to pay back a few k+ of airline credits. next year 2020 scares me.

Originally Posted by shoonseiki
Instead of purchasing refundable cash fares on SW, why don't people purchase international flights with points that come with high taxes/fees. For example, a one way flight from Cabo to Los Angeles has ~$50 in fees, which can be refunded to your credit card directly rather than getting a future travel credit. I guess this could be riskier for clawbacks since Amex might not like the refund on the credit card.
double edged sword. amex credit for refunded taxes or amex credit for blatant flight purchase. not sure. but based on various DPs related to other amex issues, i would say the credits for refunded purchases are the worst.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Nov 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:53 pm

Reimbursed in exactly 4 days since transaction. All charges ~98
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by sjplabm
11/11 - Selected airline, immediately after bought one-way $60.98
11/13 - Bought one-way $112

Will post once there is an update.
11/15 - Meter has ticked down $60.98. No credit yet
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:51 am

11/13 (Wed) - Selected WN as airline for Hilton Aspire
11/14 (Thu) - Purchased WN fare for $98.98
11/19 (Tues) - $98.98 ticked down on meter, but no credit yet.
11/19 (Tues) - $98.98 reimbursed
---
11/19 (Tues) - Purchased two more fares ($83.98, $80.98)
11/24 (Sun) - Credited $80.98 and $70.04 (maxed $250 benefit for Aspire)
---

Edit (11/19/19): From the last few DPs, it looks like the reimbursement time has been slowly creeping up to 5ish days rather than the typical 4. Will continue to update as soon as (if) my credit posts.

Edit (11/20/19): I checked in the afternoon yesterday and didn't see the reimbursement. However, when I checked it again this morning, I saw the date of the reimbursement transaction was 11/19, so not sure if it actually posted later in the pm, or if it just shows retroactively.

Last edited by eatmangos; Nov 25, 2019 at 9:07 am
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
$53 airfare purchased on 11/9, reimbursed 11/13
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by benjinito
Well..it's normal to just buy tickets under $100. No gaming of the system per se from that standpoint. Not like buying gift cards, or what not. If their system gives you credit that differs from the "official" rules...well whose fault is that? I would not expect a clawback.

Maybe SW doesn't mind? Now, if next year this changes or whenever...they can say - we stated the rules but were just blase about it until now or slow to change our IT, or whatever. No claw back, but just no credit for tickets under $100 going forward....as with the other airlines - or the ones I've read about anyway. UAL, Delta, Alaska.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:12 am

11/11 - Selected airline, immediately after bought one-way $60.98
11/13 - Bought one-way $112

Will post once there is an update.
11/15 - Changed $112 flight to a $123 flight. Paid $11.
11/16 - Credit posted of 60.98
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Well..it's normal to just buy tickets under $100. No gaming of the system per se from that standpoint. Not like buying gift cards, or what not. If their system gives you credit that differs from the "official" rules...well whose fault is that? I would not expect a clawback.

Maybe SW doesn't mind? Now, if next year this changes or whenever...they can say - we stated the rules but were just blase about it until now or slow to change our IT, or whatever. No claw back, but just no credit for tickets under $100 going forward....as with the other airlines - or the ones I've read about anyway. UAL, Delta, Alaska.
youve got to be kidding me...

11/15 - Changed $112 flight to a $123 flight. Paid $11.
11/16 - Credit posted of 60.98
super curious if $112 works. probably no, but keep us posted. $123 for sure will not. its recommended to keep it under $110.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
youve got to be kidding me...

super curious if $112 works. probably no, but keep us posted. $123 for sure will not. its recommended to keep it under $110.
I figured $112 might not but it was the cheapest regardless. The $11 change "fee" should credit however.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
FWIW, after more than a week, a $98 ticket purchase on Southwest was NOT credited.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
FWIW, after more than a week, a $98 ticket purchase on Southwest was NOT credited.
When was the purchase made?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.