Wiki Posts
Search

Affinity Cards and Membership Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Most airlines + Hilton HHonors
Question Affinity Cards and Membership Rewards

I have 300,000+ points in the Membership Rewards program and an Amex green card as well as a Costco Amex True Earnings card. Costco's card doesn't allow me to earn Membership Rewards points, so I only earn points on my green card (and my former corporate Amex card). I want/need to retain my MR points but don't want to continue paying the $95 fee for my green card. An Amex rep told me I could switch to one of their blue cards which are no fee cards and keep my MR points, but I'm wondering if there are any affinity Amex card programs, such as Hilton HHonors, that offer points in their programs and are also eligible to earn Amex MR points? Any ideas / suggestions as to what options I have? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:54 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CaliCheesehead
... switch to one of their blue cards which are no fee cards and keep my MR points,
True, but the points will be reclassified as Membership Rewards Express, and cannot be transferred to any other program. This means no redemptions for airline miles or hotel points.

Holding an American Express card which is linked to any other rewards program will not preserve the Membership Rewards balance.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You can delay the day of reckoning by getting a card with a first year fee waiver.

Also, if you get a Blue card, then later get a Green/Gold/Plat card, your MR points will revert back to regular MR points and be useable.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Most airlines + Hilton HHonors
Thank you Mia and Redtop43. Your advice is quite helpful. I will probably delay moving to a blue card until I decide what I might want to transfer to my airline and hotel programs. Once that's done, I think I'll switch to a blue card and get a pro-rated refund of my $95 fee when I already have a Costco Amex card that does everything else I need it to. Happy New Year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.