FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1293291-25-30k-mr-upgrade-business-gold-platinum.html)

Altoid Jul 31, 2013 3:21 pm

I have a regular gold card. Thinking about upgrading to plat for 25k MR. I keep getting offers and I have some travel coming up in Sept and possibly Nov and some for early next year most likely, so I wouldn't mind the lounge access among a few other benefits it provides.

If I upgrade I won't lose my history correct? Think it's my current oldest card I believe. Also is it correct an upgrade and possibility future downgrade won't a hard pull of credit?

And after a year or two I may downgrade back to reg gold or PR gold. If I end up doing that and waiting over a year, do we think I'll be eligible for another upgrade bonus? Kind of like how they say you can't get signup bonus if you've held the card in a year?

Because I can really only justify the fee if I know I'll be traveling 3-4 times in a year at the least so in years I won't I'll just downgrade if possible.

Edit: This is for a regular card not business in case that matters.

The_Wrath_of_Khan Jul 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101 (Post 21189529)
I upgraded to the Biz Platinum card about a month ago and just sent a SM to downgrade back to my BRG card. I was in the first year of BRG card (about 4-5 months in). I assume that downgrading will result in removal of the entire annual fee for Platinum that was charged and NO charge for the BRG since I'm still in the first year. However the reply to my message says the following:

"Sure. Before we proceed with the product change, I wish to inform you of the following: 1. The annual fee for the Basic is $175.00."

Nothing about the fee being waived for the Business Gold card for the first year. So can someone clarify that it will in fact not be charged? Thanks!

You were prorated the amount of annual fee discount you had left when you opened the platinum.

anandrag Aug 1, 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by teddy25 (Post 20942657)
The extra 25k is posts after your first purchase, So no need to wait 6-8 weeks

I actually received a call from AmEx Open inviting me to upgrade my Business Gold to Business Platinum. She offered me 30k points but with $10k spend requirement in 3 months. Seems like I need to renegotiate that one for sure to 30k with no spend at best or 25k with no spend at a minimum.
Anyone still getting the 50k with $5k in 3 months?

barabuski Aug 1, 2013 7:30 pm

Upgraded to Platinum from gold, received 25k points and used airline credit, then cancelled card via SM. Whether this is smart remains to be seen, but considering my gold annual fee was coming up it makes some sense. Hopefully doesn't tarnish my good reputation with AmEx.

speedy_j Aug 3, 2013 7:29 am

Originally Posted by anandrag (Post 21195552)
I actually received a call from AmEx Open inviting me to upgrade my Business Gold to Business Platinum. She offered me 30k points but with $10k spend requirement in 3 months. Seems like I need to renegotiate that one for sure to 30k with no spend at best or 25k with no spend at a minimum.
Anyone still getting the 50k with $5k in 3 months?

I am in the exact predicament with my annual fee coming up at the end of the month. Need to pull the trigger soon but 10k spending for an extra 5k MR is not attractive at this point...

explorer84 Aug 5, 2013 6:40 am

For those who upgraded using the 25k MR link, were you billed the entire $450 AF? Or, was it prorated based on your anniversary date?

e.g. got biz card in Feb, upgraded now only have to pay 6 months of AF? or full $450?

anandrag Aug 5, 2013 6:43 am

Originally Posted by explorer84 (Post 21216805)
For those who upgraded using the 25k MR link, were you billed the entire $450 AF? Or, was it prorated based on your anniversary date?

e.g. got biz card in Feb, upgraded now only have to pay 6 months of AF? or full $450?

Was told pro-rated

DHAST Aug 6, 2013 5:00 pm

Targeted Platinum Business Upgrade Offer

All,

I received a targeted upgrade offer from AmEx that I'd like your thoughts on:

"Get 25,000 Membership Rewards® points1 after your first purchase2 when you upgrade to the Business Platinum Card®. For an annual fee of $450, enjoy premium benefits designed for business travelers like you."

I realize that the bonus is actually no better than standard, but current fine print appears to not allow me to get the Platinum card outside of this promotion. So, I'd either have to transfer out my MR points or find a personal card to keep them active. So first thumbs up is that I can just upgrade the card.

Second, there's no minimum spend requirement. That's good for me, because I'm looking for easy to get points without much minimum spend.

Third, I guess I can always use the airline credit. The lounge benefit is of minimal to no use for me.

Do I pull the trigger, or hope a better bonus offer comes along?

rambro Aug 7, 2013 10:23 pm

I'm only about 3 months in to my BZ Gold card so far, and there have yet to be any upgrade offers. I thought I'd try to see about it over the phone but the rep shot me down. Any suggestions on getting this thing? I'd like to apply for Global Entry.

planeluvr Aug 8, 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by rambro (Post 21234456)
I'm only about 3 months in to my BZ Gold card so far, and there have yet to be any upgrade offers. I thought I'd try to see about it over the phone but the rep shot me down. Any suggestions on getting this thing? I'd like to apply for Global Entry.

Upgrade to the Business Platinum Card® and you can earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® points

rambro Aug 8, 2013 9:12 pm

Well ...., that was easy. Thanks!

rambro Sep 4, 2013 10:10 pm

Got my first statement and they stuck me with the annual fee. Is that normal? I can't exactly use the benefits and then cancel out within 30 days.

The_Wrath_of_Khan Sep 4, 2013 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by rambro (Post 21391219)
Got my first statement and they stuck me with the annual fee. Is that normal? I can't exactly use the benefits and then cancel out within 30 days.

YES.

rambro Sep 5, 2013 12:04 am

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 21391587)
YES.

Really? Dammit. So people are getting the upgrade, using the credits, and canceling in 30 days? And Amex is ok with that?

The_Wrath_of_Khan Sep 5, 2013 12:08 am

Originally Posted by rambro (Post 21391607)
Really? Dammit. So people are getting the upgrade, using the credits, and canceling in 30 days? And Amex is ok with that?

No, I am saying that is normal for the fee to post. I kept my account open.