FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1293291-25-30k-mr-upgrade-business-gold-platinum.html)

hellothere Dec 20, 2011 7:37 am

25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum

With the rewards and 30+ premium features of the Business Platinum Card, the $450 annual fee can quickly pay for itself. Plus when you upgrade today you can earn 25,000 bonus points!
I already have the regular Platinum card so have no need for business platinum. Am I correct though that I can upgrade now, use the $200 credit, use the $200 credit again in 2 weeks, cancel the card and end up only paying 1/12 * 450 annual fee?

Thanks in advance.

flytoeat Dec 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Must be targeted. Is there a promo code I can call and ask about?

booyaa Jan 3, 2012 9:03 am

Got this in email today. 25k MR after first purchase for upgrading Business Gold to Business Plat. For straight-up signups, I know there are a few 50k MR personal Plat (and Mercedes Benz Plat) offers floating around, but anyone recall the best Business Plat signup offer recently? I know there was the 100k offer in August, but anything better than 25k more recently? Trying to compare whether I should apply new or upgrade....

jphripjah Jan 12, 2012 3:24 pm

I didn't get it in the mail. I got it twice last summer by email and passed on the upgrade.

A few days ago I logged into my account and saw a banner inviting me to upgrade by business gold to Platinum. This time I did the upgrade, because my personal platinum is about to run out and I didn't want to renew that.

A day or so after doing the online upgrade, my online account showed that my business gold card was now a business platinum card.

I then made a purchase with my business gold card (still waiting for the new platinum card to come in the mail) and two days later was credited with 25,000 MR points.

TommyC80 Jan 25, 2012 6:58 am

Received Invitation Today

I recently signed up for the *new* Business Gold card. Thanks to FT I was able to get it on the one day where they were offering 75K MR points for signing up.

About five years ago, I had a business gold card and seem to remember upgrading to platinum for a 25k point bonus back then too. I cancelled it back in 2010.

In' the T&Cs of this offer it says something to the effect of only being able to do the upgrade once and get the points. Any one have experience with this? If I could get the points and $200 airline credit I'd consider switching back to the Bus Plat for a year. Even though I have personal Plat, it would be nice to have the extra purchase protection benefits on my business purchases.

gv111 Jan 25, 2012 8:49 am

I also got the 25K offer and not sure If I should upgrade now or wait for a better offer. Has anybody seen a 50K upgrade offer in recent times?

gv111 Jan 29, 2012 4:54 pm

I tried to upgrade online but the page is not functioning. Not sure when AMEX might be fixing it. Anybody else faced this problem and got a way to get around it?

Simpleton Jan 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17737791)
...anyone recall the best Business Plat signup offer recently? I know there was the 100k offer in August, but anything better than 25k more recently? Trying to compare whether I should apply new or upgrade....

In the last couple of months I got two mailers for Biz PRG for 50k. I know it is not Plat, but if they are offering 50k on Gold then they are likely offering that on Plat too... maybe :)

mia Jan 30, 2012 6:22 am

Originally Posted by gv111 (Post 17911131)
...page is not functioning.

Weekends are for system maintenance, try on a work day before reporting it as a problem via Secure Messaging.

onefasteuro Jan 30, 2012 8:39 am

upgrade not working for me either, though i am going to wait for a better offer probably, 25k not much, 50k+ would be good.

jphripjah Jan 30, 2012 9:06 am

Originally Posted by gv111 (Post 17911131)
I tried to upgrade online but the page is not functioning. Not sure when AMEX might be fixing it. Anybody else faced this problem and got a way to get around it?

A few months back I got the upgrade offer email, waited six months, then tried to upgrade online. It was no longer active. There's a time limit to accept the offer it seems, though I'm not sure what it is.

gv111 Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am

Does anybody know how long does it take to get the 25 K points after the upgrade is complete?

TommyC80 Feb 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by onefasteuro (Post 17914744)
upgrade not working for me either, though i am going to wait for a better offer probably, 25k not much, 50k+ would be good.

Never seen a 50k upgrade bonus before...

lkar Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm

I recently tried to take advantage of an Amex upgrade link on a personal card (Hilton) and it wouldn't let me because I hadn't had the original card for a year and there is a federal law that prevents upgrades to higher fees in the first year you have the card. Not sure if this rule is the same for biz cards, but if so, it might explain why some who are getting the offer aren't able to make ti work online.

TommyC80 Feb 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 18072203)
I recently tried to take advantage of an Amex upgrade link on a personal card (Hilton) and it wouldn't let me because I hadn't had the original card for a year and there is a federal law that prevents upgrades to higher fees in the first year you have the card. Not sure if this rule is the same for biz cards, but if so, it might explain why some who are getting the offer aren't able to make ti work online.

Interesting...the offer I have is on a biz gold card...like many of the posters in this thread; I get an error message each time I try to go into the link.

lkar Feb 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80 (Post 18076703)
Interesting...the offer I have is on a biz gold card...like many of the posters in this thread; I get an error message each time I try to go into the link.

That was what was happening to me too. I called in to try to upgrade on the phone, and after getting tossed to the tech people, they finally figured out it was not working because it automatically kicks you out if you haven't had the base card you are upgrading for at least one year. Not sure if the system is set up the same way for biz cards, but it might be a possible explanation.

GetSetJetSet Apr 5, 2012 1:54 pm

Biz Gold to Plat for 25k bonus?

Got a targeted email. Worth it or should I hold out for MR points? Have there been better offers out there?

ma91pmh May 8, 2012 5:43 am

I just got the 25k offer.

For those that have taken it up in the past, do you get a hard inquiry on your credit or do they just upgrade without checking?

If no inquiry it may be worth it to accept

dshides May 8, 2012 9:16 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 18534304)
I just got the 25k offer.

For those that have taken it up in the past, do you get a hard inquiry on your credit or do they just upgrade without checking?

If no inquiry it may be worth it to accept

No inquiry and they just upgrade based on your past history with AMEX. I have noticed after my upgrade, I am using my Amex card a lot less for every day spending now that it does not have the bonus tiers that the PRG card has. 25k points was nice though as is the travel benefits of the Plat.

ma91pmh May 8, 2012 9:21 am

Originally Posted by dshides (Post 18535455)
No inquiry and they just upgrade based on your past history with AMEX. I have noticed after my upgrade, I am using my Amex card a lot less for every day spending now that it does not have the bonus tiers that the PRG card has. 25k points was nice though as is the travel benefits of the Plat.

Thanks. I decided to bite the bullet and take the 25k. Glad there will be no inquiry. I had the old-pre-PRG version of the gold card with no bonus categories, so no change there for me. I always carry one form of the Plat card so when the renewal comes up on my personal Mercedes one I will simply cancel it and have this one in the back pocket for lounge access for the next 12 months.

bubu-SNA May 8, 2012 12:27 pm

...centurion to platinum downgrade?

I clicked the link from one of my gold cards and curiously my Centurion business card came up as "Lowe's Business Rewards Card" eligible for an upgrade (along with the other gold cards I hold).

I'm half tempted to click upgrade now just to see what kind of havoc it causes :D

Does anyone know if the $450 annual fee is waved for the first year, or is it instantly billed on upgrade?

love2ft May 18, 2012 12:28 am

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA (Post 18536795)
I clicked the link from one of my gold cards and curiously my Centurion business card came up as "Lowe's Business Rewards Card" eligible for an upgrade (along with the other gold cards I hold).

I'm half tempted to click upgrade now just to see what kind of havoc it causes :D

Does anyone know if the $450 annual fee is waved for the first year, or is it instantly billed on upgrade?

When I called AMEX with the same question, the answer was "yes". Fees are billed right away, but are prorated. If you're several months into another year of gold, AMEX will credit your account for the remaining months of gold fees and bill you the plat fees.

AJTrenkle Dec 29, 2012 8:31 am

I know this is an old thread, but I just got this offer when I logged in to American Express online. I decided to do it.

In looking through the details, am I correct in understanding that all of the benefits of the business Platinum are the same as the personal Platinum? So there would therefore be little point in keeping both a personal and business version of the Platinum, right?

shaker58 Dec 30, 2012 6:57 am

I did this in march 2012 and just got membership fee again 12/12

I received this upgrade offer in march 2012. Seems that since it's still the same account your year ends when your gold card ends not when you upgrade. I was planning on downgrading after my year was up in march and take advantage of the 200 airline credit for 2013 before I cancelled. I just check my account and I have a 450 fee in dec 2012 I don't know what to do. I checked my old statements and in march 2012 I was charged 375.00 membership fee and 105.00 credit for gold membership fee. Looks like they prorated me till 12/12.Can I get the 200 credit in 1/13 and then cancel card in feb and get a credit?

ayodeji13 Jan 22, 2013 12:04 pm

Offered 25k MR points for upgrade from Biz Gold to Biz Plat. Take it?

I got an email yesterday from AMEX saying that if I upgrade my Business Gold to a Business Plat they'll give me 25k MR points. Is it worth it?

I already have the Personal Plat.

My gut is telling me to upgrade then cancel after a year, esp since I can get the $200 airline credit on the biz plat as well. So i'm effectively paying $250 for 25k MR?

Anyways, let me know what you think.

mia Jan 22, 2013 12:11 pm

ayodeji13's question has been moved to the established thread. As you see, this is the standard upgrade offer.

ayodeji13 Jan 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20101416)
ayodeji13's question has been moved to the established thread. As you see, this is the standard upgrade offer.

Thanks! I should be reprimanded for not using the search function more thoroughly :P

mia Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

It's easy to find a thread when you know it exists, more difficult otherwise ;) .

The_Wrath_of_Khan Mar 11, 2013 8:08 am

Here's a URL that has worked to upgrade current Business Rewards Gold accounts to Platinum for 25,000 MR after first spend. There is no hard credit pull and the annual fee is pro-rated: http://amex.co/YSLVDm

(1) 25,000 Membership Rewards points applies to your first purchase on the Business Platinum Card by 07/31/13 and is available for first-time upgrades to Business Platinum Card only. You are eligible to earn points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® account 6 to 8 weeks after your first purchase. No minimum purchase required. Bonus ID 8556.
Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program apply. Visit www.membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-297-1300 for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice.
Make sure to take screen shots. This may or may not be targeted, but it was worked for 4 accounts so far, 3 of them seemingly untargeted. *Email also notes, Or call 1-866-305-2094 to upgrade by phone.

C.F. Frost Mar 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Timing is perfect! Thanks!
Love the 20% bonus return on rewards redemption.

mia Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by exsynner (Post 20401942)
Love the 20% bonus return on rewards redemption.

This benefit is going away. Read here, and confirm with Customer Service before agreeing to upgrade.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-points.html

The_Wrath_of_Khan Mar 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20401956)
This benefit is going away. Read here, and confirm with Customer Service before agreeing to upgrade.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-points.html

I thought only the business plat was keeping it.

farwest101 Mar 12, 2013 2:17 am

Originally Posted by ayodeji13 (Post 20101371)
I got an email yesterday from AMEX saying that if I upgrade my Business Gold to a Business Plat they'll give me 25k MR points. Is it worth it?

I already have the Personal Plat.

My gut is telling me to upgrade then cancel after a year, esp since I can get the $200 airline credit on the biz plat as well. So i'm effectively paying $250 for 25k MR?

Anyways, let me know what you think.

You get the $200 credit per calendar year. So get $200 credit this year, and $200 next year. Then cancel before your AF is due.

Effective cost is $50 for 25K MR. I'd take that any day of the week for no hard pull - and did as I just took their upgrade offer.

My offer still says 20% rebate on redemptions. I'm keeping a screenshot in case they drop that benny. And if they do that as rumored, I'll demand a refund of my AF...

5. To use Pay with Points, you must charge purchase through American Express Travel to Membership Rewards program-enrolled Card. Points will be debited from Membership Rewards account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on Card account. Minimum redemption 5,000 points. Effective for Pay with Points redemptions for Consumer and Business Platinum Card members and Centurion members will receive 1 bonus point for every 5 points you redeem. To be eligible to earn bonus points, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of bonus points fulfillment. Transactions charged to a Corporate Card are excluded. Bonus points will be credited to your Membership Rewards First account approximately 6–10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards First® program apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-297-1300 for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. Bonus ID: 4880.

mia Mar 12, 2013 7:44 am

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 20402402)
I thought only the business plat was keeping it.

Perhaps, but I "think" I received a change letter pertaining to this benefit when I held a Business Platinum card. I'll scrounge through the drawer.

mgchan Mar 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Used the link, had previously been targeted but the offer disappeared from my account before I had a chance to use it. Decent way to grab some points without a credit pull. Between the typically high spend requirements for business Platinum and the likelihood that my having a biz Gold might preclude bonuses for a biz Plat, I went ahead and upgraded. Trying to eventually get on a rotating personal Plat (just canceled), biz Plat, and MB Plat schedule.

bobby21 Mar 19, 2013 9:55 am

I am being offered the 25k upgrade to plat from my business gold. However I also see a 50k offer for the mercedes benz plat. Can I get both bonuses? How about the $200 airline redemption? Can it be done for 2 plat cards in the same year?

ma91pmh Mar 19, 2013 10:01 am

Originally Posted by bobby21 (Post 20446077)
I am being offered the 25k upgrade to plat from my business gold. However I also see a 50k offer for the mercedes benz plat. Can I get both bonuses? How about the $200 airline redemption? Can it be done for 2 plat cards in the same year?

Yes. MB Plat is not linked to Biz gold in any way

ehlfg Mar 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20405708)
Perhaps, but I "think" I received a change letter pertaining to this benefit when I held a Business Platinum card. I'll scrounge through the drawer.

I just received a 25K MR Business Gold to Business Platinum offer by email, and the offer highlighted the 20% points return benefit:

Get 20% points back after you use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points to book flights, hotels, cruises, or vacation packages.
The terms mention the 20% bonus as applying to Business Platinum and Centurion members.

Business Platinum Card members and Centurion members will receive 1 bonus point for every 5 points you redeem.

C.F. Frost Mar 21, 2013 8:26 am

I took advantage of the upgrade, and when I click on the following on Amex's website:
As a Business Platinum Card® member, you have access to over 40 benefits to help you focus on what's next for your business. Learn about them now.
I see this as one of the benefits:
20% Travel Bonus4

When you use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points to pay for all or part of your flight, prepaid hotel, vacation or cruise booking on the American Express Travel site, you'll get 20% of the points back as a credit to your account.
Book any airline, anywhere, anytime
No seat restrictions or blackout dates

with this footnote:

420% Travel Bonus
To use Pay with Points, you must charge purchase through American Express Travel to Membership Rewards® program-enrolled Card. Points will be debited from Membership Rewards® account, and credit for corresponding dollar amount will be issued to Card account used. If points redeemed do not cover entire amount, the balance of purchase price will remain on Card account. Minimum redemption 5,000 points. For American Express Travel Pay with Points redemptions, Business Platinum Card members and Centurion members will receive 1 bonus point for every 5 points you redeem. To be eligible to earn bonus points, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of bonus points fulfillment. Transactions charged to a Corporate Card are excluded. Bonus points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® account approximately 6-10 weeks after charges appear on your billing statement. See http://membershiprewards.com/terms for Membership Rewards® program terms and conditions. Bonus ID: 4880.

and when I called with general questions about the program, the person I spoke with mentioned this as one of the benefits.

teddy25 May 9, 2013 4:38 pm

I upgraded online last night, how long does it take for the platinum card show up online?