FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1293291-25-30k-mr-upgrade-business-gold-platinum.html)

hellothere Dec 20, 2011 7:37 am

25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum

With the rewards and 30+ premium features of the Business Platinum Card, the $450 annual fee can quickly pay for itself. Plus when you upgrade today you can earn 25,000 bonus points!
I already have the regular Platinum card so have no need for business platinum. Am I correct though that I can upgrade now, use the $200 credit, use the $200 credit again in 2 weeks, cancel the card and end up only paying 1/12 * 450 annual fee?

Thanks in advance.

flytoeat Dec 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Must be targeted. Is there a promo code I can call and ask about?

booyaa Jan 3, 2012 9:03 am

Got this in email today. 25k MR after first purchase for upgrading Business Gold to Business Plat. For straight-up signups, I know there are a few 50k MR personal Plat (and Mercedes Benz Plat) offers floating around, but anyone recall the best Business Plat signup offer recently? I know there was the 100k offer in August, but anything better than 25k more recently? Trying to compare whether I should apply new or upgrade....

jphripjah Jan 12, 2012 3:24 pm

I didn't get it in the mail. I got it twice last summer by email and passed on the upgrade.

A few days ago I logged into my account and saw a banner inviting me to upgrade by business gold to Platinum. This time I did the upgrade, because my personal platinum is about to run out and I didn't want to renew that.

A day or so after doing the online upgrade, my online account showed that my business gold card was now a business platinum card.

I then made a purchase with my business gold card (still waiting for the new platinum card to come in the mail) and two days later was credited with 25,000 MR points.

TommyC80 Jan 25, 2012 6:58 am

Received Invitation Today

I recently signed up for the *new* Business Gold card. Thanks to FT I was able to get it on the one day where they were offering 75K MR points for signing up.

About five years ago, I had a business gold card and seem to remember upgrading to platinum for a 25k point bonus back then too. I cancelled it back in 2010.

In' the T&Cs of this offer it says something to the effect of only being able to do the upgrade once and get the points. Any one have experience with this? If I could get the points and $200 airline credit I'd consider switching back to the Bus Plat for a year. Even though I have personal Plat, it would be nice to have the extra purchase protection benefits on my business purchases.

gv111 Jan 25, 2012 8:49 am

I also got the 25K offer and not sure If I should upgrade now or wait for a better offer. Has anybody seen a 50K upgrade offer in recent times?

gv111 Jan 29, 2012 4:54 pm

I tried to upgrade online but the page is not functioning. Not sure when AMEX might be fixing it. Anybody else faced this problem and got a way to get around it?

Simpleton Jan 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa (Post 17737791)
...anyone recall the best Business Plat signup offer recently? I know there was the 100k offer in August, but anything better than 25k more recently? Trying to compare whether I should apply new or upgrade....

In the last couple of months I got two mailers for Biz PRG for 50k. I know it is not Plat, but if they are offering 50k on Gold then they are likely offering that on Plat too... maybe :)

mia Jan 30, 2012 6:22 am

Originally Posted by gv111 (Post 17911131)
...page is not functioning.

Weekends are for system maintenance, try on a work day before reporting it as a problem via Secure Messaging.

onefasteuro Jan 30, 2012 8:39 am

upgrade not working for me either, though i am going to wait for a better offer probably, 25k not much, 50k+ would be good.

jphripjah Jan 30, 2012 9:06 am

Originally Posted by gv111 (Post 17911131)
I tried to upgrade online but the page is not functioning. Not sure when AMEX might be fixing it. Anybody else faced this problem and got a way to get around it?

A few months back I got the upgrade offer email, waited six months, then tried to upgrade online. It was no longer active. There's a time limit to accept the offer it seems, though I'm not sure what it is.

gv111 Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am

Does anybody know how long does it take to get the 25 K points after the upgrade is complete?

TommyC80 Feb 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by onefasteuro (Post 17914744)
upgrade not working for me either, though i am going to wait for a better offer probably, 25k not much, 50k+ would be good.

Never seen a 50k upgrade bonus before...

lkar Feb 23, 2012 8:45 pm

I recently tried to take advantage of an Amex upgrade link on a personal card (Hilton) and it wouldn't let me because I hadn't had the original card for a year and there is a federal law that prevents upgrades to higher fees in the first year you have the card. Not sure if this rule is the same for biz cards, but if so, it might explain why some who are getting the offer aren't able to make ti work online.

TommyC80 Feb 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 18072203)
I recently tried to take advantage of an Amex upgrade link on a personal card (Hilton) and it wouldn't let me because I hadn't had the original card for a year and there is a federal law that prevents upgrades to higher fees in the first year you have the card. Not sure if this rule is the same for biz cards, but if so, it might explain why some who are getting the offer aren't able to make ti work online.

Interesting...the offer I have is on a biz gold card...like many of the posters in this thread; I get an error message each time I try to go into the link.