Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25-30k MR to Upgrade Business Gold to Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Interesting...the offer I have is on a biz gold card...like many of the posters in this thread; I get an error message each time I try to go into the link.
That was what was happening to me too. I called in to try to upgrade on the phone, and after getting tossed to the tech people, they finally figured out it was not working because it automatically kicks you out if you haven't had the base card you are upgrading for at least one year. Not sure if the system is set up the same way for biz cards, but it might be a possible explanation.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Biz Gold to Plat for 25k bonus?

Got a targeted email. Worth it or should I hold out for MR points? Have there been better offers out there?
Old May 8, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: A few
I just got the 25k offer.

For those that have taken it up in the past, do you get a hard inquiry on your credit or do they just upgrade without checking?

If no inquiry it may be worth it to accept
Old May 8, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I just got the 25k offer.

For those that have taken it up in the past, do you get a hard inquiry on your credit or do they just upgrade without checking?

If no inquiry it may be worth it to accept
No inquiry and they just upgrade based on your past history with AMEX. I have noticed after my upgrade, I am using my Amex card a lot less for every day spending now that it does not have the bonus tiers that the PRG card has. 25k points was nice though as is the travel benefits of the Plat.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by dshides
No inquiry and they just upgrade based on your past history with AMEX. I have noticed after my upgrade, I am using my Amex card a lot less for every day spending now that it does not have the bonus tiers that the PRG card has. 25k points was nice though as is the travel benefits of the Plat.
Thanks. I decided to bite the bullet and take the 25k. Glad there will be no inquiry. I had the old-pre-PRG version of the gold card with no bonus categories, so no change there for me. I always carry one form of the Plat card so when the renewal comes up on my personal Mercedes one I will simply cancel it and have this one in the back pocket for lounge access for the next 12 months.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
...centurion to platinum downgrade?

I clicked the link from one of my gold cards and curiously my Centurion business card came up as "Lowe's Business Rewards Card" eligible for an upgrade (along with the other gold cards I hold).

I'm half tempted to click upgrade now just to see what kind of havoc it causes

Does anyone know if the $450 annual fee is waved for the first year, or is it instantly billed on upgrade?
Old May 18, 2012, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I clicked the link from one of my gold cards and curiously my Centurion business card came up as "Lowe's Business Rewards Card" eligible for an upgrade (along with the other gold cards I hold).

I'm half tempted to click upgrade now just to see what kind of havoc it causes

Does anyone know if the $450 annual fee is waved for the first year, or is it instantly billed on upgrade?
When I called AMEX with the same question, the answer was "yes". Fees are billed right away, but are prorated. If you're several months into another year of gold, AMEX will credit your account for the remaining months of gold fees and bill you the plat fees.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:31 am

I know this is an old thread, but I just got this offer when I logged in to American Express online. I decided to do it.

In looking through the details, am I correct in understanding that all of the benefits of the business Platinum are the same as the personal Platinum? So there would therefore be little point in keeping both a personal and business version of the Platinum, right?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
I did this in march 2012 and just got membership fee again 12/12

I received this upgrade offer in march 2012. Seems that since it's still the same account your year ends when your gold card ends not when you upgrade. I was planning on downgrading after my year was up in march and take advantage of the 200 airline credit for 2013 before I cancelled. I just check my account and I have a 450 fee in dec 2012 I don't know what to do. I checked my old statements and in march 2012 I was charged 375.00 membership fee and 105.00 credit for gold membership fee. Looks like they prorated me till 12/12.Can I get the 200 credit in 1/13 and then cancel card in feb and get a credit?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:04 pm

Offered 25k MR points for upgrade from Biz Gold to Biz Plat. Take it?

I got an email yesterday from AMEX saying that if I upgrade my Business Gold to a Business Plat they'll give me 25k MR points. Is it worth it?

I already have the Personal Plat.

My gut is telling me to upgrade then cancel after a year, esp since I can get the $200 airline credit on the biz plat as well. So i'm effectively paying $250 for 25k MR?

Anyways, let me know what you think.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
ayodeji13's question has been moved to the established thread. As you see, this is the standard upgrade offer.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia
ayodeji13's question has been moved to the established thread. As you see, this is the standard upgrade offer.
Thanks! I should be reprimanded for not using the search function more thoroughly :P
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It's easy to find a thread when you know it exists, more difficult otherwise .
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:08 am

Here's a URL that has worked to upgrade current Business Rewards Gold accounts to Platinum for 25,000 MR after first spend. There is no hard credit pull and the annual fee is pro-rated: http://amex.co/YSLVDm

(1) 25,000 Membership Rewards points applies to your first purchase on the Business Platinum Card by 07/31/13 and is available for first-time upgrades to Business Platinum Card only. You are eligible to earn points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible. Points will be credited to your Membership RewardsŪ account 6 to 8 weeks after your first purchase. No minimum purchase required. Bonus ID 8556.
Terms and Conditions for the Membership RewardsŪ program apply. Visit www.membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-297-1300 for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice.
Make sure to take screen shots. This may or may not be targeted, but it was worked for 4 accounts so far, 3 of them seemingly untargeted. *Email also notes, Or call 1-866-305-2094 to upgrade by phone.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:58 pm
Used to be exsynner

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Timing is perfect! Thanks!
Love the 20% bonus return on rewards redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.