Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Small Business Saturday Will Return 11/26/11

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Small Business Saturday Will Return 11/26/11

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
$25 Small Business Gift Card showed up in the mail today.
I got mine today. Are they valid now to use, or only on 11/26?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by DavidAL
I got mine today. Are they valid now to use, or only on 11/26?
I already used it.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:18 pm

So are people going for AUs this time too? I got 4 registration confirmation emails for the 4 AUs I have on my card. So I figure it's fair game?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:27 pm

Regarding people calling or e-mailing Amex about whether or not AU's will work.. don't do it. Sometimes airlines, hotels, (or in this case credit card companies) will make a rule about a promotion, which turns out to be bendable or breakable, to the consumers advantage. Your fellow FT'ers may be kind enough to clue you in. Sometimes you have to trust the experience of others. Calling the company to ask if it really is okay to break the rule they made, and telling them other people are doing it, is a good way to end the advantage.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by tripice351
Regarding people calling or e-mailing Amex about whether or not AU's will work.. don't do it. Sometimes airlines, hotels, (or in this case credit card companies) will make a rule about a promotion, which turns out to be bendable or breakable, to the consumers advantage. Your fellow FT'ers may be kind enough to clue you in. Sometimes you have to trust the experience of others. Calling the company to ask if it really is okay to break the rule they made, and telling them other people are doing it, is a good way to end the advantage.
great advice!!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tripice351
... don't do it. Sometimes airlines, hotels, (or in this case credit card companies) will make a rule about a promotion, which turns out to be bendable or breakable,...
Agreed. If a rule is ambiguous, you will probably persuade American Express to honor it after the fact, but if you have asked there is no ambiguity.

In any event, this is a no lose promotion if you only buy goods or services that you need. If you're reimbursed $25 great, if not you still have the merchandise.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:12 am

In this case, the rule is not at all ambiguous. It's clearly addressed in the FAQs for the promotion (link found at the bottom of the registration page).
Do I have to spend on the Card I enroll? What about another Card on the same account?

Yes, you must spend on the Card you have enrolled. For Accounts with multiple Cards, each Card must be enrolled separately.
https://sync.americanexpress.com/SBS2011/FAQs
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by jgstecker
In this case, the rule is not at all ambiguous. It's clearly addressed in the FAQs for the promotion (link found at the bottom of the registration page).
Do I have to spend on the Card I enroll? What about another Card on the same account?

Yes, you must spend on the Card you have enrolled. For Accounts with multiple Cards, each Card must be enrolled separately.
https://sync.americanexpress.com/SBS2011/FAQs
That's pretty unambiguous concerning AUs.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:03 pm

If I order something online from a local small business (will not be in town) that bills through Paypal, will the charge show up as Paypal or the small business on my AMEX?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by mzkaiser
If I order something online from a local small business (will not be in town) that bills through Paypal, will the charge show up as Paypal or the small business on my AMEX?
I doubt that that will work. In fact most online purchases will probably not work. I think amex is targeting businesses that pay an extra fee for the ability to swipe their cards in store. Using an Internet program to accept the card probably doesn't work since the business isn't paying Amex directly for the service.

Calling them and having them run the card at their store would work though.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mzkaiser
It will show up as Paypal.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My Strategy for Small Business Saturday

With SBS coming up, this seems worth its own thread.

Mrs. RedTop and I have 5 USA-based cards, plus her Canadian card (not sure if it's eligible, we'll see when we go to register it).

a) Buy two cartons of cigarettes for coworkers of hers at a place calls Smoker Friendly. (They like brands not available at the duty free store; yes we know she can only take home one carton at a time.)
b) Lunch one place, dinner another
c) Buy $25 worth of eyeglass cleaning solution at my optician

I wonder if some of these places will be unusually crowded, and I wonder if some people will buy lunch for $15 and leave a $10 tip. As I read the T&C, you have to charge at least $25 in a single transaction.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:47 pm

seems to be only restaurants around me are considered small business taking amex, so going to buy a few $26 gift cards and use them at a later date. have 5 amex cards.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I noticed that B&H Photo is considered a small business. Should be easy to blow $25 there online.

Oy! Spoke too soon. I forgot that B&H is closed on Saturdays.

Last edited by escog; Nov 21, 2011 at 11:11 pm
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, SW AL/CP
Originally Posted by escog
I noticed that B&H Photo is considered a small business. Should be easy to blow $25 there online.

Oy! Spoke too soon. I forgot that B&H is closed on Saturdays.
If you're purchasing online, does it matter if they're closed on Saturday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.