Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex FH&R May Lose Ritz Carlton - Negotiations Ongoing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Location: Palm Beach/Hungary 3.9MM AA EXP, UA GOLD 1MM, DL PLT, MARR LIFE PLT

I heard from a Ritz Carlton Manager that Ritz Carlton is unhappy with the Amex FH&R deal and may not renew the contract. After losing Continental this would be a huge setback for the FH&R program and Centurion cardholders.

Has anyone else heard anything?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Marriott has introduced a RC branded version of Marriott Rewards and an associated credit card. Inasmuch as Chase is the issuer of that credit card, and is locked in a market share battle with American Express, it's not surprising that Marriott would now be "unhappy" with their relationship with American Express.

Last edited by mia; Aug 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:19 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Wow, this really is deja vu after Continental. IMHO it would be a noticeable loss for the FHR program-- I'm not sure what % of the total properties are RCs (probably not that large of a percentage), but in my past experience, in a number of markets in the U.S., RCs are often priced lower than FS or MOs, giving Plat and Cent cardmembers a lower price point to take advantage of the FHR program.

But I guess it's not entirely surprising given that the new Ritz Carlton card from Chase seems to be going after a similar demographic as the Amex Plat.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, DL Gold, CO Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, USAir Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
I have ritz carlton reservations in Bachelor Gulch for January 1-January 5, all under the Centurion hotels program. If it is going away I'd say its already booked for another year.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
AMEX is usually good at implementing a transition period before any changes are made and offer another benefit to try and offset the loss ($200 airline fee credit after the loss of Continental).

Only have 2 stays at the Ritz this year under the FHR program and both times the front desk agent did not mention anything about the benefits until I asked. Seems like they're already training their front line staff to belittle the program!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: Palm Beach/Hungary 3.9MM AA EXP, UA GOLD 1MM, DL PLT, MARR LIFE PLT
Originally Posted by mia
Marriott has introduced a RC branded version of Marriott Rewards and an associated credit card. Inasmuch as Chase is the issuer of that credit card, and is locked in a market share battle with American Express, it's not surprising that Marriott would now be "unhappy" with their relationship with American Express.
This could be a big part. For Centurion members who lost SPG Platinum and Continental Gold Elite of late losing the extra $50 credit and time of booking upgrades with Ritz would really devalue the Centurion card.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
This would be a big for me if true. RC is my favorite hotel chain and I much prefer it to Four Seasons or the Mandarin Oriental (although they are also very nice). Lately I've been booking with a Virtuoso and Ritz Carlton STARS agent so I have access to many of the same amenities and my friend collects the commissions.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
This would be a big for me if true. RC is my favorite hotel chain and I much prefer it to Four Seasons or the Mandarin Oriental (although they are also very nice). Lately I've been booking with a Virtuoso and Ritz Carlton STARS agent so I have access to many of the same amenities and my friend collects the commissions.
Urrrr... if you are "booking with a Virtuoso and Ritz Carlton STARS agent so I have access to many of the same amenities and my friend collects the commissions" anyhow, then why is this a "" for you?

Regards
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jm0754
I heard from a Ritz Carlton Manager that Ritz Carlton is unhappy with the Amex FH&R deal and may not renew the contract. After losing Continental this would be a huge setback for the FH&R program and Centurion cardholders.

Has anyone else heard anything?
I hear that losing American Airlines for their lounges is next, since AA has new credit card that has $450 annual fee but includes lounge access. Article was on Usatoday and the writing was pretty sure deal with AMEX would end soon. Anyone heard this? If so, then AMEX Platinum needs to step it up...
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by canesfan
Anyone heard this? ...
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...oing-away.html

I assume you are referring to this article:

http://travel.usatoday.com/deals/ins...rks/49792636/1

It doesn't seem to include anything other than Mr Perkins' unsupported opinion.

Last edited by mia; Aug 9, 2011 at 6:53 am
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...oing-away.html

I assume you are referring to this article:

http://travel.usatoday.com/deals/ins...rks/49792636/1

It doesn't seem to include anything other than Mr Perkins' unsupported opinion.
Ahh thanks. I hardly go on the AA board but will monitor it from now on!
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by canesfan
Ahh thanks. I hardly go on the AA board but will monitor it from now on!
The thread quoted to you wasn't on the AA board at all, it was right here on the Amex board.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:07 pm

I noticed recently that RC added a promotion that is *pro* sub-Platinum Amex:

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/promot...n=09008&src=ps

It seems like it might render the FHR program useless for RC anyway. The green card can get the same benefits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.