Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

US Centurion Card & International Auto Rental insurance

Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.

...I was informed by my centurion travel agent that my Business Centurion card does not provide insurance on auto rentals outside of the U.S. This is the first I hear of it. I was always under the impression that I was covered as long as the rental was charged to the card in question.

When looking @ americanexpress.com

Australia, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Jamaica and New Zealand are excluded from the "Car rental loss and damage insurance plan" described as a card benefit.

...so which is it, or does the car rental insurance benefit vary from card to card?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:59 pm

This page allows you to select your card type and state of residence and see the benefits:

https://yourcarrentalclaim.com/AmexC...eBenefits.aspx

As far as I can tell, the country exclusions are consistent by card type. The Centurion Car provides some enhanced coverage, but the country exclusions still are there.

When I look at the Green Card for Massachusetts it says:

Coverage is for eligible vehicles valued up to $50,000.
There is no coverage for any type of pick-up truck, full sized SUV, luxury van, any exotic sports car and any type of cargo van, truck or U-haul type vehicle.
Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand.

While the Centurion Card for Massachusetts says:

Coverage is for eligible vehicles valued up to $75,000.
There is no coverage for any type of pick-up truck, full sized SUV, luxury van, any exotic sports car and any type of cargo van, truck or U-haul type vehicle.
There is no coverage for full sized sport utility vehicles including but not limited to Range Rover;
Note: Full sized sport utility vehicles with an original manufacturer's suggested retail price of less than $75,000 are covered when rented for personal or business use only. [Note - there is obviously some conflicting wording here - looks like they intend to cover some full size SUV's]
Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:01 pm

Actually, if I check the "small business card" it states:

Coverage is provided for rental autos rented in the United States, its territories and possessions
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

International / overseas: no complementary coverage

Checked this out with a rep just recently, when I got my new AX business card.
There is no coverage (CDW/LDW) on international rentals anymore!

It was offered a "program" to enrol, whereby I would get charged $ 17.99 per rental, which would include international as well. However, the charge applies to every car rental, e.g. domestic as well!

I am upset, how AX cancelled that benefit, - more so without any notification, AFAIK. I did several international rentals recently, declined CDW, unbeknownst that I was not covered!

I will not use AX for any car rental anymore, period!

This sux, AX!
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:29 pm

That stinks that amex did away with that program! I always use my Continental Presidential plus card because it does cover all rental insurances (except those same countries - some of them happen to be the ones I frequent the most! Actually, two of them - that I know of - have mandated insurance coverage anyway, so it doesn't matter). Now I will have to check with Chase about that. I wonder if it has anything to do with them dropping foreign transaction fees?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Just called Amex a few days ago about coverage in SXM(personal plat) was informed that it will indeed be covered.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Mia,

So personal platinum does cover foreign rentals?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Here is the opening paragraph (emphasis is mine) from the detailed description of coverage that I obtained from the AMEX website (see link in Post #2 I believe). This is for one of the personal cards - they all seem the same. It appears no international coverage for Small Business cards. Note they distinguish between paid rentals and MR certificates which are not covered outside the US.

If AMEX is stating international coverage no longer applies, they ought to update their website, pronto:

DESCRIPTION OF COVERAGE
Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance provides the Cardmember, if the Cardmember is the primary renter, (as defined below) with insurance coverage for damage to or theft of most Rental Autos when the Cardmember uses the
Card (as described below) to reserve and pay for an auto rental from any Commercial Car Rental Company (Rental Company) other than those located in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand. (In regards to Membership Rewards redemption certificates, coverage is provided only to Rental Autos rented in the United States.) This coverage is always excess insurance.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by masonp123
This is for one of the personal cards - they all seem the same. It appears no international coverage for Small Business cards. l
Personal card would include SPG AX?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.