Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Aeroplan Platinum - Inferior Service to Canadians?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

After reading this thread, I called AMEX Canada and asked them if they can credit me the difference between the 20k points I received when I signed up a couple months ago, and the 50k points they are currently offering if you sign up now (RSVP Code 5050). After receiving a long-winded reply about how each promotion is with different marketing partners, I clearly explained that it is the same marketing partner (Aeroplan), and the agent said "oh" and was quiet. She told me to cancel my card and re-apply and said I would not receive my $499 yearly fee back. I have to say, I have called AMEX twice since receiving my card, and both agents seemed poorly trained and did not offer any amicable resolutions. I get better service from Costco than AMEX, even though I give Costco $50 for membership and AMEX $500. Not only that, but I spend between $60k - $140k / month on my AMEX.

If a customer wants 20k measly points, and if they are a valuable customer bringing in good revenue, why not give them the points instead of pissing them off? Most companies do this all the time, why not AMEX Canada?
Old May 19, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Because they already have you. They are not inclined to give you anything more. The promotions are for new customers.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
It's not just Amex Canada. I've been an Amex cardholder since 1982 and a Plat since around 1990. I've spent a lot of money on my Plat card over the years. When these promos began, I made an initial request to Amex to give me a similar bonus for a similar spend. Denied. Informed that this benefit was for new cardholders only.

Decided that this made some sense even if it ran the risk of ticking off longstanding cardholders. Then, in more recent threads on FT and in some blog posts around the web, it has been reported that Amex has unevenly handed out bonuses, including to some, but not all, longstanding cardholders. I sent another message to Amex, stating that while I might have disagreed with their position regarding bonuses to new cardholders, it now appeared that they simply were giving bonuses in an unequal manner to old and new cardholders alike. Rejected again.

This recent nonsense with the offer of 50,000 MR points to recent Columbia Business School graduates that apparently was not made so clear in the T&Cs leads me to the conclusion that Amex has decided that they need to recruit tons of new members. Thus, no matter what money you've spent through Amex through the years, Amex is making it clear to you that your business is no more desirable to them than the business of new cardholders.

As I pointed out in one of my secure email messages, I'm not sure this business model has worked so well for the cell phone business, where crazy offers for new, hot phones seem to generate massive amounts of churn. I think Amex believes that once they have all their new customers, they will hold on to them as they have many of their longstanding cardholders. I understand that the forums at FT are not necessarily a representative sample of the new business Amex has garnered through these promotions; however, I think many consumers are now attracted to these offers through web buzz, both here and from other sites, and are very likely to cancel these cards in a short period of time.

I don't think this strategy will work well for Amex in the long run; however, I'm sure some upper management types will earn some hefty bonuses for generating a healthy slice of new business. And, I'm also sure that most of those upper management types will be smart enough to move on to other companies before the crap hits the fan when all these new customers cancel their cards.
Old May 20, 2011, 6:24 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
...many consumers are now attracted to these offers through web buzz, both here and from other sites, and are very likely to cancel these cards in a short period of time.
In the US market American Express and Chase are engaged in a market share battle for a specific demographic. Chase hired away a few Amex executives, has launched upscale cards (e.g. Sapphire, JP Morgan Select and Palladium), and has reinvigorated others (e.g. BAEC VISA).

American Express has responded by ramping up the Platinum Card benefits and aggressively promoting it to new customers. While many people will apply, claim the points, redeem, and cancel, others will discover that the "net" cost of Platinum is low if they travel enough to use the $200 travel credit and the lounge access.

It will be interesting to see if Chase escalates. In my view they have done a mediocre job of packaging their frequent traveler relationships into an integrated product.

In any event, at some stage the market shares will stabilize, the pendulum will swing in the direct of higher margins, and annual fees will rise at both banks. It's only at that stage that American Express and Chase will know what they have accomplished, and you're right, today's executives will probably be gone because their skills won't be a good match.

Surely the same could happen in Canada. For example, BMO could get its act together and make a push to increase Diners Club MasterCard's market share, but I think they are more interested in corporate accounts.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had a really tough time with CS on my Amex Aeroplan Platinum to start up and I wasn't looking for points. I wanted to pay them!

It had to do with setting up automatic payments to debit my bank account. Although it is a personal card, I use it as a business one. Therefore, the payments come from my business account. I asked about automatic payments and was told it would be ok, not ok, ok, etc and finally sent in a void check to set everything up. I received a call two days after my payment was due that I had not made my payment, only to find out that the CS rep had given me misinformation, and that I could not have auto-debit from my business account for my personal card.

Oddly, I am able to call them every month for them to debit my business account, but it does make me have to deal with them at least once a month!
Old May 20, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by spideysense
After reading this thread, I called AMEX Canada and asked them if they can credit me the difference between the 20k points I received when I signed up a couple months ago, and the 50k points they are currently offering if you sign up now (RSVP Code 5050). After receiving a long-winded reply about how each promotion is with different marketing partners, I clearly explained that it is the same marketing partner (Aeroplan), and the agent said "oh" and was quiet. She told me to cancel my card and re-apply and said I would not receive my $499 yearly fee back. I have to say, I have called AMEX twice since receiving my card, and both agents seemed poorly trained and did not offer any amicable resolutions. I get better service from Costco than AMEX, even though I give Costco $50 for membership and AMEX $500. Not only that, but I spend between $60k - $140k / month on my AMEX.

If a customer wants 20k measly points, and if they are a valuable customer bringing in good revenue, why not give them the points instead of pissing them off? Most companies do this all the time, why not AMEX Canada?
Speaking from my own experience, you can always take the approach of phoning Amex and telling them you want to cancel. They will transfer you to the cancellation representatives who are trained to try to convince you to change your mind. While you may not get the extra 30k points, I would be very surprised if you didn't get at least 10k extra points for reconsidering, especially if you're spending $60 - $140k per month.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:59 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
I have generally found the service on with the AE Platinum card quite good. I signed up on a 30,000 point promotion, and never considered calling to ask for more points because today's deal is better than yesterdays.

If you spend this much and have the option, maybe spending three or four months somewhere else could be a good negotiating tool. Maybe call and inform them you may spend elsewhere, then follow through and see if they relent.
Old May 22, 2011, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drwilliams
I have generally found the service on with the AE Platinum card quite good. I signed up on a 30,000 point promotion, and never considered calling to ask for more points because today's deal is better than yesterdays.

If you spend this much and have the option, maybe spending three or four months somewhere else could be a good negotiating tool. Maybe call and inform them you may spend elsewhere, then follow through and see if they relent.
I didn't think of calling them either until I read the thread about the Americans getting the points. It seemed like some of them only spents a few hundred $per month on their cards, yet amex did the right thing. I'll be spending over $1mm this year on mine (due to some business purchases) yet they tell me too bad. I don't want to call them back because they are frustrating to deal with. Most agents do no seem to be trained very well either, and I don't want to get po'd anymore than I already am. I did not even get a supervisor when I requested one, and eventually I was told that one would call me back, but that never happened. Whoever trains Canadian reps should be fired.
Old May 22, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by drwilliams
You just have to call to tell them you are (considering) cancelling. Just spending it elsewhere and not calling, they don't care. I tried.

If you call and your recent spending decreased, well, maybe your went broke in the last few months - that's what they'd think.
Old May 22, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I'll be spending over $1mm this year on mine (due to some business purchases) yet they tell me too bad. I don't want to call them back because they are frustrating to deal with. Most agents do no seem to be trained very well either, and I don't want to get po'd anymore than I already am. I did not even get a supervisor when I requested one, and eventually I was told that one would call me back, but that never happened. Whoever trains Canadian reps should be fired.
Like cell phone or cable companies, you tell them you are cancelling. Then you get transferred to the right department where things get done. Note that AMEX Canada's retention department have reduced (not 7-24) office hours.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The 50,000 point promo from my understanding is an incentive for new Amex Platinum AeroplanPlus card holders and is offered via internet only..

I understand OP frustrations.. I'm a CIBC Aerogold card holder for 15 years.. and continually see that new members get these bonus points.. I call in for the points and continually refused.. only new members get these points..

I have on occassion been succussful in getting say 5,000 points.. but not like some of those here on FT getting 15,000 points for calling in.

So with OPs Amex and only getting 30,000 points.. it depends when you apply for the card and what you agree to.. sometimes we end up having to accept the fact that we didn't get as good of a deal we could have received..

Who knows maybe in a couple months, the incentive may go to 100,000 miles or something for Canadian Amex Platinum AeroplanPlus.. that's the risk of jumping on board now with the current offer.
Old May 27, 2011, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

I only missed the promo by a month or so. That is near enough in my opinion. That wasn't my only issue though. I found the reps too be poorly trained as well. The reps even said that their computer systems were really old and slow. The worst part though is that I was not able to speak to a supervisor. I was then told a supervisor would call me back within 2 business days, but it has been over a week and no call. Booooo AMEX.
Old May 27, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC*75K, Amex Centurion, Marriott Platinum Elite, All Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Is it possible to cancel your current card, receive a prorated refund for your annual fee, and apply for a new card with the new bonus?
Old May 27, 2011, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I only missed the promo by a month or so. That is near enough in my opinion. That wasn't my only issue though. I found the reps too be poorly trained as well. The reps even said that their computer systems were really old and slow. The worst part though is that I was not able to speak to a supervisor. I was then told a supervisor would call me back within 2 business days, but it has been over a week and no call. Booooo AMEX.
I agree with how you feel too..

If I applied the month before, and the promo changes to 20,000 extra points.. yeah, I would have a bit of remorse going to sleep for a few nights.. Its good that you followed up.. I probably would have as well..

One strategy when you're phoning AMEX up is that what you see is an internet promo.. so provide the link.. the AMEX staff will not have this deal in front of their computer screens.. its all set up differently to avoid the AMEX spewing out the best deals to those who call in..

But once they phone the other department to confirm that this deal exists, and you quote the link, or follow it on a website.. they'll be more equipped to help you. Assuming that they know about this deal.. they've been trained fresh not to know with every caller calling up.. they want to be helpful, but there are so many cards and offers out there, they can't keep track.. slowly walk the agents through precisely, and if they can help, they will.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Update

Got an email from amex today stating that they would credit me the 25k miles. Alls well that ends well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.