Search

AmEx Rewards Points upon death

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Unhappy

Sorry for your loss.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
I would call them and see if in light of the circumstances they can transfer his MR balance into your MR account. I don't see why they wouldn't bend the rules a little for a good customer under these circumstances. If not getting the answer you like, try running it by the executive office.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I'd be careful with this one until you know what AMEX's official policy is about transferring the MR points - and I would find out without letting them know your father died (since you have online access you can transfer them yourself to anyone's account at many airline & hotel programs). When my father died I just used his online airline account to book award tickets and upgrades for my mother and brother until I ran the account below 1,000 miles.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 3:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Post #15 was written by an American Express employee is her official capacity.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Can MR points be inherited?

I am the beneficiary of all of my mother's assets when she dies according to her will and trust. She has 52K MR points in her account. If she were to die before the points were used or transferred to a FF program, can I inherit them?
Can they be transferred to my MR account upon her death? Or would AX cancel the MR account and forfeit all points in it if they found out she was deceased? I don't want to ask this question of AX as I'm afraid they will close out her account and prevent my Mom or me from using the MR points.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:30 pm

I think it would be easier if you had her username/password for her account, then you could just transfer them to one of your programs after her death and before you close the account. May not be the completely legal way to do it, but Amex wouldn't know.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:40 pm

I have the user name/password for her account. I use it to pay her bills.

I can do that, but I want to transfer her MR points to one of my FF accounts. We have the same last name and address. Specifically, I'd probably transfer to ANA. Will that transfer go through since the first name only is different? I've never tried to do this before.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:25 pm
mia

Moderator action

Discussion merged into established thread. Please review preceding posts including one written by an American Express representative.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:30 am

I did a search before I started a new thread and nothing came up.

I see the answer from the AX rep, but it is 3 years old. In light of all the secret changes AX is making to try to screw people out of MR points, I wouldn't trust anything said by an AX CSR on FT now or in the past. Until I saw something in writing specifically addressing this situation or in the T & C, I won't believe anything AX says.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 8:53 am
mia

Originally Posted by susiesan
Until I saw something in writing specifically addressing this situation or in the T & C...
The terms are published here:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...rmsSplash.aspx

Points are not your property. You can’t transfer points to any other person or program account. Additionally, points can’t be transferred by operation of law, such as by inheritance, in bankruptcy or in connection with a divorce.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
So either AX has changed their terms or the alleged AX employee post in 2010 is completely wrong. Either way, you just proved my point.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 2:11 pm
mia

So either AX has changed their terms or the alleged AX employee post in 2010 is completely wrong. .
American Express practice frequently differs from policy, and often in the customers favor. Membership Rewards terms were completely re-written this year, but my recollection is that the terms have long stipulated that the points are not transferable. I think you will find similar language in the terms of other credit card, airline and hotel rewards programs.

I believe American Express practice is to permit transfers, as described by their representative, even though they assert that they are not required to do so.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:48 pm

Right now Amex USA Membership Rewards closest airline partner is Delta. Delta has basically said your miles die with you. You expect partners to align policies often but not always. Amex and Delta are so close they allow each other to access each other's customer data via computers. Even though Amex has been beyond good with me in dealing with a deceased person I would still move and use miles asap if someone dies. And certainly do this before the SSDI is updated with recent deaths. I still think the SSDI index is run on a 8 bit IBM mainframe somewhere near washington using big reels of magnetic tape
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Centurion
I still think the SSDI index is run on a 8 bit IBM mainframe somewhere near washington using big reels of magnetic tape
I thought they dumped it all to punch cards.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:15 pm

I went ahead and transferred out

I have the user name/password for her account. I use it to pay her bills.

I can do that, but I want to transfer her MR points to one of my FF accounts. We have the same last name and address. Specifically, I'd probably transfer to ANA. Will that transfer go through since the first name only is different? I've never tried to do this before.
update: I went ahead and initiated the transfer of all of my Mom's MR points into my ANA account on 6/1. Today, 6/4, the points are there. I can now close my Mom's AX card account for good and not have to worry about losing the MR points if she was to pass away soon. I now won't have to worry about inheritance problems with AX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.