FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express Purchase Protection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1024707-american-express-purchase-protection.html)

4aks Aug 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 14510383)
Yes I was very happy.

Personally I wouldn't have even bothered to put in a claim for $17 they will see that on future claims and I'd assume would make them less willing to bend the rules if needed, as the time put in probably wasn't even worth the monetary reimbursement. I'd save it for larger issues to show them I'm not trying to milk the system for every little penny.

hah , you're prob right. Though I hadn't used the service in a year and occasionally like to test the services I've paid for ... it was approved without any further paperwork. (As was a $140 item a year prior) The $1600 computer last year required a ton of paperwork, repair estimate. The $600 Palm Treo several years back also a ton of paperwork.

I don't know how much history they actually see. I've got several cards also ...

xolinlevh Aug 22, 2010 10:50 am

I was in Italy about a month ago and bought a pair of dolce and gabbana sandals from the outlet store there, we sailed out the next day and by that night the shoes had totally fallen apart. As i was unable to get back to Italy to return them (I think they were no returns anyway) I called Amex and filed a claim, surprisingly the woman who helped me had no clue what dolce was (lol) but they filed the claim and I'm just waiting on them to get back to me now

sbm12 Aug 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 14525625)
surprisingly the woman who helped me had no clue what dolce was (lol)

Why is that a surprise? The vast majority of the world couldn't care less who or what D&G is. And it certainly isn't relevant to the claim filed.

But glad that you were able to drop the name again here. Is that supposed to be impressive?

Ritz Aug 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 14525625)
I was in Italy about a month ago and bought a pair of dolce and gabbana sandals from the outlet store there, we sailed out the next day and by that night the shoes had totally fallen apart. As i was unable to get back to Italy to return them (I think they were no returns anyway) I called Amex and filed a claim, surprisingly the woman who helped me had no clue what dolce was (lol) but they filed the claim and I'm just waiting on them to get back to me now

Glad to hear Amex came through^ As a Cent holder, I've had quite a few claims over the years, all with wonderful results (both covering items above the "pre-determined" threshold, as well as items which weren't technically supposed to be covered by either RP or PPP.

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 14526736)
Why is that a surprise? The vast majority of the world couldn't care less who or what D&G is. And it certainly isn't relevant to the claim filed.

But glad that you were able to drop the name again here. Is that supposed to be impressive?

Wow, that's quite the overreaction you've got going there. I think the OP was just sharing their story. Many of us do know who D&G is, and don't think that one someone mention's it, they're name-dropping. BTW, someone upthread mentioned the very expensive watch they were buying (the purpose of this thread), yet you didn't jump on them for mentioning AP.

xolinlevh Aug 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz (Post 14528278)
Glad to hear Amex came through^ As a Cent holder, I've had quite a few claims over the years, all with wonderful results (both covering items above the "pre-determined" threshold, as well as items which weren't technically supposed to be covered by either RP or PPP.

Wow, that's quite the overreaction you've got going there. I think the OP was just sharing their story. Many of us do know who D&G is, and don't think that one someone mention's it, they're name-dropping. BTW, someone upthread mentioned the very expensive watch they were buying (the purpose of this thread), yet you didn't jump on them for mentioning AP.

Yea called them back up today to check on status of it, apparently it was already credited to my account a couple weeks ago and i just hadnt noticed! great service by them, really makes the card worthwhile i feel. ive bought almost all my large items over the past 2 years on the plat card just so i know if anything happens i have this option.

@SBM12
and yea nice overreaction, i was not name dropping, i find that amex customers tend to be higher spenders, who shop higher designers, and so id assumed that the purchase protection people would have likely dealt with designer goods before. apparently this one hadnt which i found kinda funny, sorry if that pisses you off

sbm12 Aug 23, 2010 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Ritz (Post 14528278)
BTW, someone upthread mentioned the very expensive watch they were buying (the purpose of this thread), yet you didn't jump on them for mentioning AP.

Because they weren't mocking a call center employee for not knowing the brand name.

I guess we each find different things funny in life and that isn't one that does much for me.

mia Aug 23, 2010 10:35 am

[Moderator enters...]

The discussion of the call center employee's brand knowledge is off topic. I think both views have been adequately expressed. Let's move on.

[...moderator returns to day job]

k2o Aug 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 14530932)
[Moderator enters...]

The discussion of the call center employee's brand knowledge is off topic. I think both views have been adequately expressed. Let's move on.

[...moderator returns to day job]

And the curtain closes....
Nice segway Mod! ^

lifeandmylens Aug 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 14500152)
I've only used this once, for an item I paid around $6k for. 95% of my CC spend is on Amex so I assumed I had purchased it on an Amex and called to inquire about reimbursement. I was told I actually didn't purchase it on Amex(Which I later confirmed) but since I am a long standing customer and haven't put in any claims before they were going to take care of it anyway, and they did promptly. So ^ to Amex.

Man you got lucky!!

Today I tried using extended warranty for the first time. It's a shame I haven't used it in the past. Usually I just throw stuff away or buy the newer version of that item when it goes bad. How wasteful - not anymore!

Anyway, it's for a HP computer ($900) I bought 16 months ago. A couple days ago I turned it on, but nothing came on the screen. So I figured instead of trying to figure out what's wrong with it, I'd give the extended warranty a try. I called in and they were super nice and said they actually have a department that only handles computers so they transferred me to another very nice lady.

After answering the questions about everything, she said to fax in a billing statement and a sales receipt and from there she will email me instructions on where to mail the computer to get it fixed or cashed out. I guess we'll see how it goes!

Speaking of keeping receipts, are you all keeping the original, or scanning them in or what? I need to get a system going. I was actually shocked that I saved the receipt for the computer.

Okto Aug 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by gallardo (Post 14580542)
Speaking of keeping receipts, are you all keeping the original, or scanning them in or what? I need to get a system going. I was actually shocked that I saved the receipt for the computer.

I've kept all original credit card receipts and statements for the past 15 years. For each credit card, I store all receipts in chronological order along with a written log in an envelope. Each year I start a new envelope for each card. Statements sent from the CC issuer go in a separate binder. At the end of each month, when I receive the statement in the mail, I reconcile all transactions with each entry in my log and make sure that everything adds up to the penny.

joesmoe Aug 31, 2010 6:15 pm

They have been very good to me as well. Over the past 5 years i've probably filed a dozen claims, varying from laptops (that were broken by me), to stolen camera (with very expensive lens), to sunglasses left on airplanes (even though it was an award ticket, and the sunglasses were a couple years old, since I paid the $80 booking fee on my amex, they covered the sunglasses immediately without any necessary documentation or anything else).

Only thing they wouldn't cover was a convertible top I had replaced due to age, within a week someone slit it with a knife to steal the ipod sitting in the center console ($2500 rag top to steal a $100 ipod classic). At first they said they would cover it, but then denied it as it was attached to a car permanently.

They also covered a broken display on a laptop for me, I got a repair estimate at circuit city (for $600 us), they just went ahead and credited that to my card...

lifeandmylens Aug 31, 2010 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Okto (Post 14580811)
I've kept all original credit card receipts and statements for the past 15 years. For each credit card, I store all receipts in chronological order along with a written log in an envelope. Each year I start a new envelope for each card. Statements sent from the CC issuer go in a separate binder. At the end of each month, when I receive the statement in the mail, I reconcile all transactions with each entry in my log and make sure that everything adds up to the penny.

That is some serious record keeping you have going on there! Anyway, based upon what you said about separating the receipts and such by card - what do you do if say something you bought "a while ago" (you don't remember exactly when, nor what card you used) breaks and you need to find the receipt. You go through all the envelopes and all the receipts until you find it? Or does your log break it down to the item(s) you bought as well?

And what about the thermal paper factor? They usually don't last very long, which is why I asked about scanning them in.

Originally Posted by joesmoe (Post 14580865)
They have been very good to me as well. Over the past 5 years i've probably filed a dozen claims, varying from laptops (that were broken by me), to stolen camera (with very expensive lens), to sunglasses left on airplanes (even though it was an award ticket, and the sunglasses were a couple years old, since I paid the $80 booking fee on my amex, they covered the sunglasses immediately without any necessary documentation or anything else).

Only thing they wouldn't cover was a convertible top I had replaced due to age, within a week someone slit it with a knife to steal the ipod sitting in the center console ($2500 rag top to steal a $100 ipod classic). At first they said they would cover it, but then denied it as it was attached to a car permanently.

They also covered a broken display on a laptop for me, I got a repair estimate at circuit city (for $600 us), they just went ahead and credited that to my card...

Glad to hear it thanks!

Centurion Aug 31, 2010 8:17 pm

Buy a scanner

Buy a scanner. Why on earth 15 years?

Originally Posted by Okto (Post 14580811)

Ritz Aug 31, 2010 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 14581465)
Why on earth 15 years?

LOL, I was thinking the same thing Cent. Tax issues, maybe?

Okto Sep 1, 2010 12:09 am

Originally Posted by gallardo (Post 14581327)
what do you do if say something you bought "a while ago" (you don't remember exactly when, nor what card you used) breaks and you need to find the receipt. You go through all the envelopes and all the receipts until you find it? Or does your log break it down to the item(s) you bought as well?

My log contains line entries for each purchase, showing purchase date, item description and cost - very much like the statement sent by the CC company. I use my log to reconcile charges shown on the statement.

If I need to find a receipt from "a while ago" (for instance, my wife just asked me to find details on a transaction we did 18 months ago), I can refer to either the monthly statements, or my log. I can usually do this in 2-3 minutes.

As far as not remembering what card I might've used, that's easy: it had to be one of my AMEX cards ;)