FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express Purchase Protection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1024707-american-express-purchase-protection.html)

TAHKUCT Apr 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Please see coverage details by type of card here: https://www.onlineclaim.americanexpr...e&productId=06

JackDaniels Apr 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 13846062)
divemistress: I ordered the camera from overstock...it was delivered to me...I then sent it via USPS to my friend in Istanbul, and USPS cant locate it from the tracking number (lost mail perhaps?).....and its been way over 14 days now.

So my question is: can I submit a claim for a 'lost item' and get it replaced so I can mail him another one?

The package could be stuck in customs (requires additional taxes and duties).. Additionally, first you would file a claim with the shipping company handling your package band hopefully you sent it insured. They would also put a tracer on the tracking number to see how far along it made it before it was disrupted from reaching its final destination. In my business we ship many packages internationally and if a customer has not received the item more than likely it is a custom issue. Amex should absolutely not be involved with this type of claim.

I mean if people start to abuse this program so it's not a viable option for Amex to include with the card then they will more than likely discontinue the service. Best to just use it as a last resort IMO.

TAHKUCT Apr 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Priority Mail Box to Istanbul is 6-10 days as per usps.com

JFKLAX321 Jun 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Purchase Protection Question

I recently scratched my month old Mac Book Air quite badly. The scratch is deep and unsightly, don't overreact and think I am being vein here. So the question is, what would Purchase Protection be able to provide me with? To my knowledge, Apple will not fix scratches on computers. Anyone with experience/suggestions?

TAHKUCT Jun 12, 2010 11:04 am

Originally Posted by mzkaiser (Post 14119266)
I recently scratched my month old Mac Book Air quite badly. The scratch is deep and unsightly, don't overreact and think I am being vein here. So the question is, what would Purchase Protection be able to provide me with? To my knowledge, Apple will not fix scratches on computers. Anyone with experience/suggestions?

Which Amex card did you use to purchase your Mac? If you have Amex Plat Charge card, it will be covered under accidental damage. They either ask you to send it in for a repair or obtain an estimate of the repair cost. if it is not repairable, than, from my experience they will pay the cost of your Mac and you will have to return your original back to them. I do not know about other Amex products coverage.

lifeandmylens Aug 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Return/Purchase Protection

I've been reading some of the benefits on the cent card (and plat for that matter) and came across the return protection and the purchase protection.

I'm kind of amazed at some of these examples, which I wasn't expecting. Some examples:

- Buy a computer from best buy, return it and they charge you a restocking fee, then return protection will reimburse you the restocking fee up to $300. That's great.

- If I bought something and then accidentally dropped it on the ground and it broke, purchase protection would cover it, up to $10k!

Another one I thought of is if you buy something for $300 or less and it comes with a 30 day return policy, but you want to return it after 75 days will return protection still do it (if the store does not)?

mlad1101 Aug 17, 2010 7:09 pm

I believe they would. They can be very accommodating in regards to this and even bend the rules. As long as you're a good customer and don't abuse the benefits.

I've only used this once, for an item I paid around $6k for. 95% of my CC spend is on Amex so I assumed I had purchased it on an Amex and called to inquire about reimbursement. I was told I actually didn't purchase it on Amex(Which I later confirmed) but since I am a long standing customer and haven't put in any claims before they were going to take care of it anyway, and they did promptly. So ^ to Amex.

nydad Aug 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 14500152)
I've only used this once, for an item I paid around $6k for. 95% of my CC spend is on Amex so I assumed I had purchased it on an Amex and called to inquire about reimbursement. I was told I actually didn't purchase it on Amex(Which I later confirmed) but since I am a long standing customer and haven't put in any claims before they were going to take care of it anyway, and they did promptly. So ^ to Amex.

This is incredible. So you got back your $6K?

sbm12 Aug 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by gallardo (Post 14500033)
Another one I thought of is if you buy something for $300 or less and it comes with a 30 day return policy, but you want to return it after 75 days will return protection still do it (if the store does not)?

I've used the feature in this way.

mlad1101 Aug 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by nydad (Post 14501252)
This is incredible. So you got back your $6K?

Yes, Endeared me to Amex even more.

lifeandmylens Aug 18, 2010 4:09 pm

That's great thanks guys. Today I bought an AP ROO and used my cent card. The concierge also helped with finding me one. Now I get an extra 2 years warranty on that puppy!!

Now not saying I would use the purchase protection for the watch, since it was quite a bit more than $10k, but what if I had something that was say $11k - could I make a claim for $10k of it if something happened to it?

4aks Aug 19, 2010 10:32 am

Originally Posted by gallardo (Post 14505851)
That's great thanks guys. Today I bought an AP ROO and used my cent card. The concierge also helped with finding me one. Now I get an extra 2 years warranty on that puppy!!

Now not saying I would use the purchase protection for the watch, since it was quite a bit more than $10k, but what if I had something that was say $11k - could I make a claim for $10k of it if something happened to it?

Yeah, it's good up to the limit that you have on an annualized basis . One of the programs has a $2k limit towards my gold purchases. I used the extended warranty last year on a $1600 laptop that died. Last week I used purchase protection on a $17 item I dropped carrying home. Though did have to wait 40 mins on hold to get an agent for that claim.

I'm floored by the above story of a $6k non-AMEX purchase that was covered as a courtesy !!

mlad1101 Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am

Originally Posted by 4aks (Post 14510036)
Yeah, it's good up to the limit that you have on an annualized basis . One of the programs has a $2k limit towards my gold purchases. I used the extended warranty last year on a $1600 laptop that died. Last week I used purchase protection on a $17 item I dropped carrying home. Though did have to wait 40 mins on hold to get an agent for that claim.

I'm floored by the above story of a $6k non-AMEX purchase that was covered as a courtesy !!

Yes I was very happy.

Personally I wouldn't have even bothered to put in a claim for $17 they will see that on future claims and I'd assume would make them less willing to bend the rules if needed, as the time put in probably wasn't even worth the monetary reimbursement. I'd save it for larger issues to show them I'm not trying to milk the system for every little penny.

juggler451 Aug 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 14510383)
Yes I was very happy.

Personally I wouldn't have even bothered to put in a claim for $17 they will see that on future claims and I'd assume would make them less willing to bend the rules if needed, as the time put in probably wasn't even worth the monetary reimbursement. I'd save it for larger issues to show them I'm not trying to milk the system for every little penny.

Agreed. I'll hold off on my $17 items purchased on my amex and wait to claim the $6k item I purchased on my visa :D

BonViveur Aug 20, 2010 4:55 am

I dropped my iPad. The insurance covered it. New for old.