FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express Purchase Protection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1024707-american-express-purchase-protection.html)

Okto Sep 1, 2010 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Ritz (Post 14581742)
LOL, I was thinking the same thing Cent. Tax issues, maybe?

Haha. No, the answer is a lot more pedestrian than that. I've kept credit card receipts for the last 15 years because that's how long I've been using credit cards. :p I never throw out any records.

This Mortal Coil Sep 1, 2010 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Okto (Post 14582403)
My log contains line entries for each purchase, showing purchase date, item description and cost - very much like the statement sent by the CC company. I use my log to reconcile charges shown on the statement.

If I need to find a receipt from "a while ago" (for instance, my wife just asked me to find details on a transaction we did 18 months ago), I can refer to either the monthly statements, or my log. I can usually do this in 2-3 minutes.

As far as not remembering what card I might've used, that's easy: it had to be one of my AMEX cards ;)

Wow - life must be exciting at your house.....

lifeandmylens Sep 2, 2010 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by gallardo (Post 14580542)
After answering the questions about everything, she said to fax in a billing statement and a sales receipt and from there she will email me instructions on where to mail the computer to get it fixed or cashed out. I guess we'll see how it goes!

Today I got an email containing a pre-paid shipping label along with a letter (corporate retail solutions program) to give to the UPS store that says not to collect any money for the customer for packaging or shipping - wow. It's looking like Amex extended warranty is even better than the factory warranty.

billmister Sep 12, 2010 11:48 pm

Purchase Protection is AWESOME!!

I don't know where i should right this. But I own 3 Amex cards. A blue, Platinum, and business Blue. Well about a month ago i purchased a laptop for my nephew as a surprise as a graduation present. I went over his house to notice he had a party that night. We talked for a little and i went up to his room while he was downstairs with all the guests. I start transfering data from his desktop to his new laptop that he doesn't know about.

After about an hour he comes up and i tell him about it and he's HAPPY as can be. I had to run because it was getting late.

Long story short, someone stole his laptop that NIGHT:mad: There was over 300 people and it was very upsetting and sad at the same time. I didn't know what to do except a police report, which typically means, goodbye laptop.

Well i decided to give the purchase protection a try. After submitting all they requested in a month later they requested1 more thing, i called up about and answered the questions they needed. 2 days later... I GET A APPROVAL LETTER for the macbook I bought him!!!!

I was AMAZED!!!! Well i purchased him the same laptop and let it be known to him NOT to make the same mistake again.

Just posting this regarding my good feedback on that. As mentioned i'm not sure where this post would belong but feel free to move this if needed.

PS-i'm not a employee of Amex or anything like that.

PIONEER Sep 13, 2010 12:16 am

I agree. The Platinum Card ain't cheap, but they really came through when Mrs. P and I both left our coats on a flight after arriving late at night. We got the coats back a couple of days later, but the diamond pin that we had just bought at Tiffany's was missing. After a bit of paperwork, AmEx covered it, and we bought another one.

billmister Sep 13, 2010 11:29 am

wow. It's just nice to know there are companies out there that do help out. Many companies i hear make it impossible to get anything back. I'm glad they helped out your situation as well.

hytail Sep 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Did you explain the same to Apple to see if they could deactivate the machine or trace it?

billmister Sep 13, 2010 9:58 pm

yeah i spoke to apple but they is nothing they can do about keeping the laptop from the thief should he/she bring it in for repair because it's against their policies. So... not much that can be done there.

dchristiva Sep 15, 2010 11:20 am

I've used Purchase Protection a couple of times and think it's the best service Amex provides. They couldn't have been easier to work with.

keeleysam Sep 15, 2010 11:38 pm

What all did you have to submit to them for the claim?

RichardInSF Sep 16, 2010 4:48 am

Originally Posted by billmister (Post 14653425)
yeah i spoke to apple but they is nothing they can do about keeping the laptop from the thief should he/she bring it in for repair because it's against their policies. So... not much that can be done there.

They're taking lessons from the airlines!

superangrypenguin Sep 16, 2010 8:52 pm

Try this in Canada. Royal Sun and bullsh*it Alliance will give you the runarounds until you your children have children.

billmister Sep 18, 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by keeleysam (Post 14665961)
What all did you have to submit to them for the claim?

I think it's on their site as well do not remember. But the requested, receipt of purchase, receipt of statement showing purchase, police report, and if i own a home, my home owners insurance. That's pretty much it. I had to fax it over to them. Like said earlier, they couldn't have been easier to work with.

lifeandmylens Sep 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by billmister (Post 14690856)
and if i own a home, my home owners insurance.

Lets say I dropped a new ipad. If my homeowners insurance would cover it (but I would not be willing to submit a claim and risk rising premiums), would purchase protection not cover it then?

mia Sep 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by gallardo (Post 14696861)
If my homeowners insurance would cover it (but I would not be willing to submit a claim and risk rising premiums)

I don't believe American Express would require you to actually submit a claim to your homeowners insurer. A copy of the declarations page of the policy showing the deductible should be sufficient.