FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   American Express Purchase Protection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1024707-american-express-purchase-protection.html)

TAHKUCT Aug 16, 2007 8:32 pm

Now I have another question. Keeping in mind that Purchase Protection is an Excess coverage.

The new claim form requires you to put your Primary homeowners insurance info.

I accidentally damaged my new leather jacket. In this situation, should I include my homeowners insurance policy # when filing a claim or just mark no? (I do not have any primary homeowners insurance policy in this case)

rifle57 Aug 17, 2007 8:53 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 8245951)
Now I have another question. Keeping in mind that Purchase Protection is an Excess coverage.

I accidentally damaged my new leather jacket. In this situation, should I include my homeowners insurance policy # when filing a claim or just mark no? (I do not have any primary homeowners insurance policy in this case)

Amex said to ignore this on the form, I did, and it was fine.

brosnan6 Aug 17, 2007 8:56 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT (Post 8245951)

I just marked it no. Less hassle.

TAHKUCT Aug 17, 2007 9:31 am

But how can one know if it should go through the Homeowners insurance first?

mia Aug 17, 2007 12:27 pm

I would contact American Express first. If the value is above a certain threshold I expect they will inquire about the specifics of your insurance including your deductible amount.

buylowsellhigh Aug 18, 2007 4:37 am

I think this is a cow thats going to run out of milk.. I never used the purchase protection but I have friends who use it all the time... amazing what they can do with purchase protection :)

TAHKUCT Aug 18, 2007 10:27 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 8249320)
I would contact American Express first. If the value is above a certain threshold I expect they will inquire about the specifics of your insurance including your deductible amount.

Will they contact my insurance? I did file a claim and now they sent me a form to fill out.

biggestbopper Aug 18, 2007 10:55 am

As a general rule, these days, it is wise to have a relatively high deductible on your homeowner's insurance, say, $2,500 or so. This is because making little claims can cause you big hassles with the insurance companies which prefer to have policy holders who don't make claims (and because there are usually big savings on premiums as deductible goes up). In other words, save insurance for the big losses.

This is where the Amex stuff is golden (or platinum :(). It will cover the little losses.

I haven't had occasion to use the Amex coverage much, but, when I have, it has worked out pretty well. Certainly much less problematic than going through a low deductible homeowner's claim.

By the way, to comment on post 33 about does Amex put your claims into the insurance industry data base, I doubt it. I have never heard anything from any agent when I applied for a new policy over the years, although they are quick to mention claims against "real" insurance polcies. After all, this is something Amex is pushing as a customer service, not insurance.

brosnan6 Aug 18, 2007 11:31 am

Originally Posted by DKNYSprt95 (Post 8252546)
I think this is a cow thats going to run out of milk.. I never used the purchase protection but I have friends who use it all the time... amazing what they can do with purchase protection :)

I hope Amex doesn't end this program due to abuse (not that I'm saying your friends abuse it, but I'm sure others do). THis is a great program and it has helped me out many times.

darkfluid Aug 18, 2007 12:18 pm

I've used it for everything from suitcases to phones. I was only denied once for a tuxedo that was ruined (apparently formal wear is not covered). They have twice made exceptions to the rules to pay me. I don't abuse the option, I use it as it was intended. My only problem is that they never publish a full detailed list of what is covered and what isn't.

mia Aug 18, 2007 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by darkfluid (Post 8253820)
...denied once for a tuxedo that was ruined (apparently formal wear is not covered)...

Tuxedo rented or purchased?

In any event there is information in the Claims Portal, mentioned in this mesage from the Useful Websites sticky...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....4&postcount=44

darkfluid Aug 18, 2007 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 8253858)
Tuxedo rented or purchased?

In any event there is information in the Claims Portal, mentioned in this mesage from the Useful Websites sticky...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....4&postcount=44

Purchased.

brosnan6 Aug 18, 2007 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by darkfluid (Post 8253820)
I've used it for everything from suitcases to phones. I was only denied once for a tuxedo that was ruined (apparently formal wear is not covered). They have twice made exceptions to the rules to pay me. I don't abuse the option, I use it as it was intended. My only problem is that they never publish a full detailed list of what is covered and what isn't.

I'm sure the majority of people who use this service (myself included) use it like it's supposed to be used. There's always a small majority out there who ruin it for all of us.

It is definitely smart of Amex to offer this program because anytime I purchase something that could be broken or ruined (think high value- electronics, clothes, sunglasses, etc...), I put th purchase on my Amex. They, in turn, get the merchant processing fees that probably would have gone to Chase/Visa had I not had purchase protection

buylowsellhigh Aug 19, 2007 1:25 am

Originally Posted by brosnan6 (Post 8253652)
I hope Amex doesn't end this program due to abuse (not that I'm saying your friends abuse it, but I'm sure others do). THis is a great program and it has helped me out many times.

Oh, I know people who abuse it, and people who use it legitimately. And people who all of a sudden become "careless" (or shall i say, carefree) shoppers? lol.

writetorich Sep 25, 2007 7:24 pm

Purchase Protection changes.Check your next paper statement carefully

There appear to be some "Enhancements" and "changes" to
Purchase Protection on all purchases made after NOV 1.