Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Premier Rewards Gold Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by 4Health
I stand corrected. I just went to the site to sign up, and unfortunately I didn't pay close enough attention to the offer! I am "in charge" of opening the mail at my house so I never pay attention to whom the mail is addressed so I just assumed it was sent to me since I'm the churner. However, it was addressed to my wife! Luckily for me she's down with the whole mileage thing so she is going to get the card. Now I need to figure out how to get on that target list as well because that would be quite a nice treat if we both got 50k miles.
That IS a great deal. I saw the 15,000 bonus when you spend $1,000 in the first 3 months, waiver of one year $175 fee and another 15,000 when you spend $30G in a year. It appealed to me to get 3X points on airfare, 2X on gas and groceries, 1X on other - as I used to do well in the "old days" of double miles on gas, groceries, home improvement stores and post office, of the Delta SkyMiles card. That card's value went down the tubes and this one has more versatility as well. That being said -- pay attention that you get what was promised. Amex tried to charge me $175 right away until I protested. Then I was awarded 10 instead of 15 thousand miles until I hollered. It was all "sorry, technical detail" or some such nonsense. You really have to watch your account like a hawk!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:18 pm

if only would cover pharmacies as well like blue cash...
average 3% overall on blue cash a year is hard to beat
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
Dont u get 15k points back as a bonus if u spend over 30K a year on the card? The the 15k points are equal to $150.00 with the 1% rate. So basically your only paying $25 membership fee. Thats how I look at it.

Even with the Devaluation if I spend 30K on my free Amex Hilton I can just about pull off 4 free nights at a cat 7 hotel which is about $1200.

This still seems like the best deal for me and with the no annual fee Visa I can earn all my points on charges with Hilton as quite a few places still don't take Amex

Still waiting for my bonus points on the Amex Gold to post and it's been about 8 weeks
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Even with the Devaluation if I spend 30K on my free Amex Hilton I can just about pull off 4 free nights at a cat 7 hotel which is about $1200.

This still seems like the best deal for me and with the no annual fee Visa I can earn all my points on charges with Hilton as quite a few places still don't take Amex
Right, but the 15k is just a bonus. If you spend 30k on the card, you get 30k points (for spend) + 15k points (bonus) = 45k points. Additionally, with bonuses for airfare, gas, groceries, and the bonuspointsmall, you're likely to get a lot more like 55k points for 30k spend. I would think that 55k MR points would be worth more than the Hilton points earned from 30k spend on that card, but I could be wrong.

Obviously, the charge card has a rather hefty annual fee, as well.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:06 am

I get this when going to that page in the fine print:

2 Offer not available to existing consumer American Express Charge Cardmembers.

If I login then go to that page I get the 10k offer and this in the fine print:

(1) Offer not available to existing consumer American Express Charge Cardmembers. Annual fee for the Premier Rewards Gold Card is $175.
(2) Offer not available to existing consumer American Express Charge Cardmembers. 10,000 bonus points credited within 8-10 weeks of first purchase. Purchase must be made within one year from the time of Card account opening.

So I don't qualify since I have a Rewards Gold card?
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Gold
just got approved for the 15k offer.......we'll see
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tjsnell
I don't qualify since I have a Rewards Gold card?
Welcome to Flyertalk.

This is discussed in post 64 in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12984434-post64.html
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

2 Offer not available to existing consumer American Express Charge Cardmembers.

If I login then go to that page I get the 10k offer and this in the fine print:

(1) Offer not available to existing consumer American Express Charge Cardmembers. Annual fee for the Premier Rewards Gold Card is $175.
(2) Offer not available to existing consumer American Express Charge Cardmembers. 10,000 bonus points credited within 8-10 weeks of first purchase. Purchase must be made within one year from the time of Card account opening.

So I don't qualify since I have a Rewards Gold card?
I had AMEX Blue card and was able to get the Premier Rewards Gold with Bonus Points for enrolling.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:06 pm
mia

Originally Posted by milomaniac
I had AMEX Blue card...
Blue is a credit card, the terms exclude existing charge card holders. The charge cards are: Centurion, Platinum, Gold, Green and Zync.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:13 pm

2 Offer not available to existing consumer American Express Charge Cardmembers. ...
Did you try using the link provided by trikotret?

Originally Posted by mia
Blue is a credit card, the terms exclude existing charge card holders.
I have a Plat card which I was planning to downgrade. Based on the experiences of jackal in post #27 and richardvf in posts #66 and #70, I used the link provided by trikotret in post #4 which does not have the "existing Charge Cardmembers" exclusions.

I applied for a new card without upgrading (i.e. took the credit hit), did not login to my existing account, and was approved. After getting the card and starting to use it, the bonus points have already posted to my account.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA
Costco

Is Costco classified within the double membership rewards bonus (as groceries)? In my year-end summary for other cards it is under warehouse.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 8:59 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Fiumicino
Is Costco classified within the double membership rewards bonus (as groceries)?
Charges at departments of superstores or warehouse clubs are not eligible for this bonus.

https://www201.americanexpress.com/c...00defaad94RCRD
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by mia
If you purchase airline tickets directly from the airline, or elsewhere, you will earn one base point per dollar, plus two bonus points for an airline transaction. (When American Express says "3x" they mean "1+2=3".)
I've just discovered this thread and card. And have a few questions after reading the entire thread.

If I buy a ticket from a travel agency, or Vayama.com how many MR points do I earn per dollar with this card? Neither are considered "tour operators, charter flights..."

And I might have missed it, but I earn the 2x bonus miles on ALL airline website ticket purchases? Or is their a list of airlines somewhere?

I too have a SPG Amex, but am looking for a second card with everyday spend accelerated earning. And this card sounds perfect. I am only interested in converting points into FF miles, mainly for international C award tickets to Asia. And once every other year or so a C/F ticket to Hawaii. I've been using the UA Platinum Visa because of 2miles/$1 on gas, groceries, dining and home improvement. But I also just discovered Starnet Blocking, while trying to book a C award ticket between NRT-BKK. So I'm ready to dump UA MP altogether. I'm seriously considering this card.
And if I want to book a *A award ticket, I can convert MR points and SPG points into my NH FF account. Am I correct?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:47 pm
mia

dko3tgk, I believe your questions are addressed in this short thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-flights.html
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by mia
dko3tgk, I believe your questions are addressed in this short thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-flights.html
So does this mean 5 miles per $1 when using AMEX travel? This can add up if AMEX travel is competitive. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.