FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Premier Rewards Gold Card
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:47 pm
MikeInMass

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
Originally Posted by writetorich
Can you have a Collection of Amex cards?
Has the "limit" been raised?
Not sure, but here's my experience.

I called today to apply for the "Premier Rewards" gold card. I already had an existing "Preferred Rewards" gold card and a "Blue" card; the annual $150 fee on the "Preferred Rewards" gold card had just come due.

When I called, I specifically referenced the "Bonus ID 2924", including the initial 10,000 point bonus, first year's fee waiver, and 15,000 point bonus after $30k spending.

The representative I first spoke with told me that he would be able to "upgrade" my account to the new card, including those bonuses. However, when he read off the disclosures for the new card, they specifically included a line about the first year's fee waiver and 10,000 point bonuses not being available to existing American Express charge card holders. I pointed this out to him, and he apologized, and put me on hold for a while while he spoke with a supervisor.

After a long wait, the representative confirmed that I would need to cancel the existing charge card account and re-apply for the "Premier Rewards" gold card, and that they would need to pull my credit to do so. So I went ahead and had the rep cancel the existing account. He then handed me off to another rep who took my application and approved me for the "Premier Rewards" card.

It's worth $150 to me to memorize a new account number. I'm just hoping I don't lost any MR points in the transition.