FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/982652-archive-lost-baggage-luggage-delay-loss-damage-advice-etc-pre-2018-a.html)

pazza2000 Jan 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by videomaker (Post 13249404)
OP considers a four-day luggage delay "whopping"? A bit hyperbolic, IMO.

Now, the 10 months it took for me to get a bag back from an international trip (not on AA) might fall more into that category.

10 months. What was the reasoning for that and the outcome?? I personally do consider 4days an awful lot, the most i have ever had a case gone missing for was just over 24hours.

pazza2000 Jan 24, 2010 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 13249391)
I thought my earlier post was on topic. Let's try again.

Are they entitled to anything? No.

Can they call in and grovel and maybe get something? Anything's possible.

Whether that's worth it or not is an individual judgement.

On topic enough?

Thanks. Thats on topic enough. I dont think the grovel will produce much of an outcome. Would they have been entitled to something if they followed it throught at the time? 4days with no small compensation does seem a little unjust to me.

skylady Jan 24, 2010 9:50 pm

The complaint should have been lodged within a whopping 30 days.:D

gemac Jan 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 13249425)
Thanks. Thats on topic enough. I dont think the grovel will produce much of an outcome. Would they have been entitled to something if they followed it throught at the time? 4days with no small compensation does seem a little unjust to me.

At 48 hours, AA will normally authorize purchase of minimal clothing/personal effects - perhaps $200 or so. After the bag was recovered, an e-mail detailing the experience unemotionally would probably have resulted in some compensation miles. Check the compensation thread for an idea of how many.

I agree on the grovel.

videomaker Jan 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 13249419)
10 months. What was the reasoning for that and the outcome?? I personally do consider 4days an awful lot, the most i have ever had a case gone missing for was just over 24hours.

You've been lucky.

When Air France lost one of my bags, I received it 10 months later--no explanation whatsoever, but with the original luggage tags still intact. Nothing was missing.

British Airways lost another one overseas for four months. That was a couple years ago when they were having horrendous baggage problems at LHR. When it finally returned, it was beaten up and the outside metal (it was a hard case) was rusted. Like it was left out in the rain for awhile.

Another bag on one of those trips was never seen again.

efamous Jan 25, 2010 5:09 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 13249425)
Would they have been entitled to something if they followed it throught at the time? 4days with no small compensation does seem a little unjust to me.

There is little that can be done at this point, IMO. If they had raised the issue at the time, they would've been entitled to spend up to $250 on replacement clothes, toiletries, etc.

Same thing happened to me flying on AA from the UK to US over Xmas. Bag was lost for 4 days, but I rang up and asked, and they authorised me to spend up to $250 on replacement stuff. The agents were clear that this was the maximum amount they were allowed to authorise. I did have to ask specifically for it and that the agent at LaGuardia when I first filed the claim definitely didn't offer--she was rather optimistic that it would show up shortly despite it being late on Christmas Eve.

mvoight Jan 25, 2010 5:29 am

Originally Posted by efamous (Post 13250525)
There is little that can be done at this point, IMO. If they had raised the issue at the time, they would've been entitled to spend up to $250 on replacement clothes, toiletries, etc.

Same thing happened to me flying on AA from the UK to US over Xmas. Bag was lost for 4 days, but I rang up and asked, and they authorised me to spend up to $250 on replacement stuff. The agents were clear that this was the maximum amount they were allowed to authorise. I did have to ask specifically for it and that the agent at LaGuardia when I first filed the claim definitely didn't offer--she was rather optimistic that it would show up shortly despite it being late on Christmas Eve.

While that might be the amount they can pre-authorize, they can not limit your claim to that. As I understand the baggage compensation rules, there are no separate limits for short term loss and permanent loss. The legal limit is the legal limit. You have to provide evidence of your loss, and your claim is subject to review, but there is not a different, arbitrary limit, for short term loss.

gemac Jan 25, 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 13250576)
While that might be the amount they can pre-authorize, they can not limit your claim to that. As I understand the baggage compensation rules, there are no separate limits for short term loss and permanent loss. The legal limit is the legal limit. You have to provide evidence of your loss, and your claim is subject to review, but there is not a different, arbitrary limit, for short term loss.

The legal limit is for a loss, not for a delay. AFAIK, there is nothing in law about any compensation for a delay. A passenger will have a tough time getting AA to exceed its policy for a delay of four days.

mike belman Mar 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Missing Luggage/Late Delivery

My son was on a morning flight from ORD-GEG through SEA. Of course the baggage never made the plane. They either forgot to put it on the plane or misplaced it, they say it will be arriving this evening.

They want to UPS it to his school which means that he will not get it at least until Tuesday, possibly later.

Is American responsible for timely delivery of his luggage?

Should I expect a refund of the $25 I paid for the luggage?

gemac Mar 14, 2010 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by mike belman (Post 13575356)
They Is American responsible for timely delivery of his luggage?

Sorta.

No.

ashill Mar 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by mike belman (Post 13575356)
My son was on a morning flight from ORD-GEG through SEA. Of course the baggage never made the plane. They either forgot to put it on the plane or misplaced it, they say it will be arriving this evening.

They want to UPS it to his school which means that he will not get it at least until Tuesday, possibly later.

Is American responsible for timely delivery of his luggage?

Assuming that it was Alaska/Horizon who operated the SEA-GEG flight, my understanding is that it is Alaska who is responsible for delivering the luggage, as the operator of the final segment. Alaska has a baggage service guarantee promising a $25 AS discount code if they don't deliver your baggage within 25 minutes of flight arrival, so you should check that out. I don't know if they'll honor that given that he connected from AA, but I don't see anything clearly saying otherwise in the terms and conditions.

travelbuff Mar 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Delayed/Lost Baggage on AA/Iberia

There is always a first time.....

My baggage has been delayed now for 4 days. I flew VCE-MAD-DFW-STL. Checked in my bag in Venice at Iberia. I had a 2 hour stopover window in Madrid before my AA flight to DFW, but Iberia came in an hour and 10 minutes late, so I basically had only 45 minutes to go from T4-T4s. Was the last person to enter the plane and of course, my luggage did not make it to Dallas.

I have been on the phone at the 800-baggage service, and at the STL airport baggage service constantly, several times a day. I check aa.com/bagstatus too and I even called the Madrid AA baggage counter (who has been very helpful, even going as far as the Iberian office at the airport to physically check if my baggage is there)this am, to no avail. Nobody knows or has any record of my Bag Tag Number.

If my baggage is declared lost after the 5-day period, am I entitled to any compensation, at all?? I have no need to buy anything since I was coming home from a trip but in my luggage are some stuff I bought. What kind of receipts should I send once I get the "questionnaire"?

Thanks....

travelbuff Apr 4, 2010 5:34 pm

Update:

After 11 days, AA finally located my luggage. Somehow, it traveled all the way to San Jose, Costa Rica before being sent to STL. In any case, I am very grateful to AA for their wonderful baggage customer service (updating me everyday and reassuring me that they will find my luggage.) Thanks AA!! ^

Agrolingua Apr 5, 2010 11:04 am

Damaged luggage--repair options

I was travelling between Miami and Green Bay on Saturday. When my suitcase came off the conveyor I could see some damage. It looks like the suitcase was either dragged a long distance or it was stuck against a moving belt. One spot is worn down to the inner lining, the wheel is worn flat, etc.

I immediately went to the agent and showed them and they gave me the form and told me to bring the luggage back and they would repair it.

A couple of relevant points. First, I was flying first class. Second, the suitcase is a moderately priced piece of TUMI.

My concern is that if I give it to them to repair the job might not be that great. Wheels not matching or something like that.

On the other hand if I sent it back to TUMI they would repair it back to original condition.

Has anyone had experience or a tactic to get American to repair the luggage with the manufacturer rather than the company they choose? Would having a first class ticket carry any weight?

gamehendge2000 Apr 5, 2010 2:51 pm

IMO, status may help grease the skids more than a first class ticket. Do you have, your profile doesn't say...