FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/982652-archive-lost-baggage-luggage-delay-loss-damage-advice-etc-pre-2018-a.html)

SocietyFlyGirl Oct 10, 2009 10:32 am

Originally Posted by svasandani (Post 12590833)
Wanted to give everybody an update on my situation as a future reference point.

I wrote 2 letters, first one to Central Baggage Service and included all the receipts from the actual expenses I incurred during cruise. The receipts added up to approx. $500 for which I received a full reimbursement.

I wrote a second letter to Customer Relations about the harship we all experienced and within days they wrote back that they will credit 7500 miles to each family member for a total of 45000 miles.

Good ending and I am satisfied with the outcome. The only thing I would have wanted different is if they credited all 45K in 1 AAdvantage account. 7500 miles spread across various accounts makes it harder to use them effectively.

That's good news, but in terms of $500 reimbursement only in-line with the law. Thankfully, the DOT is finally getting around to enforcing our limited airline consumer protections and hopefully in the future, AA will have to clean up some of its luggage messes (esp. in FL) as paying the true price becomes more expensive than allowing luggage losses and delays to continue. See Elliott's "Government to airlines: limiting lost-luggage compensation “a violation” of regulations" and from the DOT circular:

We have learned that a number of airlines have adopted policies that purport to limit reimbursement for such expenses in a variety of ways.
These policies may be contained in contracts of carriage or, more often, in informal printed advisory handouts available from ticket counters or carrier agents. For example, we are aware of one such advisory handout that denies any reimbursement “for necessities” where the baggage is “expected” to reach the passenger within 24 hours of filing a delayed baggage report and limits reimbursement to actual expenses up to a fixed maximum amount per day after the first day. Also, some carriers may be providing reimbursement to passengers for incidental expenses incurred only after the outbound leg
of a roundtrip. The Department’s baggage liability rule, 14 CFR Part 254, contains no such limitations, and it is the enforcement policy of the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Aviation Enforcement Office) to consider any arbitrary limits on expense reimbursement incurred in cases involving lost, damaged or delayed baggage to violate Part 254 and to
constitute an unfair and deceptive practice and unfair method of competition in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712. Section 254.4 states that an air carrier “shall not limit its liability for provable direct or consequential damages [emphasis added]” relating to lost, damaged or delayed baggage to less than $3,300 per passenger. To meet the requirements of Part 254 and the requirements implicit in 49 U.S.C. § 41712, carriers should remain willing to cover all reasonable, actual and verifiable expenses related to baggage loss, damage or delay up to the amount stated in Part 254. Carriers should, therefore, review their contracts of carriage and any supplemental
printed materials with respect to provisions for reimbursement of direct or incidental expenses related to baggage loss, damage or delay. These should not include terms 2 setting arbitrary limits on reimbursement, apart from those set forth in Part 254. If appropriate, carriers should promptly modify any printed documents, such as internal procedures and guidance and consumer informational materials, to conform to the Department’s rules and this guidance. After 90 days from the date of issue of this notice,
the Aviation Enforcement Office will pursue enforcement action in appropriate cases where unlawful reimbursement policies are not corrected. Questions regarding this notice may be addressed to the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (C-70), U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE, Washington, D.C. 20590.

I wish they'd been enforcing this regulation before my luggage went awry in MIA (mia in MIA) a couple of years ago. AA did not offer to provide reimbursement for the clothes and toiletries I had to pay for while waiting the 12 hours for my luggage.

barnetda Jan 6, 2010 6:55 am

Advice needed re "lost" baggage please

Hi,
I need some help and advice please. I will keep it brief.

I am in Florida. My adult daughter flew yesterday from Florida to LA direct on a $850 single fare American Airlines. She then connected onto another airline for a flight to Sydney Australia.

Her baggage was checked in at Orlando and was due to be collected at LAX.

No sign of her luggage at LAX.

She is now enroute to Sydney totally distraught as her clothing for a long trip to Sydney and her xmas gifts have been "lost.

She has filed a lost bag report but as of now still no sign of luggage nor any idea where it is.

Noone will give me any answer as to what she needs to do next as she needs clothes and womans toiletries etc.

TO enable us to get things prepared it is my understanding that after 5 days the bag search goes to a central baggage search team and then compensation is looked into which may take 3 months.

Her ticket was a single and full fare of $850 .I have read that her fare will be refunded and her baggage compensated assuming its lost. But i cant get that confirmed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gemac Jan 6, 2010 7:02 am

If I read your post correctly, she was flying from Florida to Sydney, connecting in Los Angeles, but only checked her bag to LAX? That sounds odd - if her bag was delayed, AA would have done its job by delivering it to LAX. What carrier took her to SYD? Was Florida-LAX-SYD all on one ticket?

bdemaria Jan 6, 2010 7:04 am

Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation.

A couple of quick observations:

#1: at this point the bag is still "missing" and may well be found by the time your daughter arrives at her final destination

#2: I assume you have checked out the baggage information link on aa.com

#3: as for compensation, if the bag is deemed lost: I've never heard of getting the entire fare refunded.

barnetda Jan 6, 2010 7:16 am

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 13123221)
If I read your post correctly, she was flying from Florida to Sydney, connecting in Los Angeles, but only checked her bag to LAX? That sounds odd - if her bag was delayed, AA would have done its job by delivering it to LAX. What carrier took her to SYD? Was Florida-LAX-SYD all on one ticket?

Sorry i wasnt clear.

She was on 2 seperate tickets.

Orlando to LAX on American.

LAX to Sydney on Virgin Australia.

Her bags could only be checked to LAX

Her bag has not been seen since leaving Orlando.

barnetda Jan 6, 2010 7:18 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 13123236)
Sorry to hear about your daughter's situation.

A couple of quick observations:

#1: at this point the bag is still "missing" and may well be found by the time your daughter arrives at her final destination

#2: I assume you have checked out the baggage information link on aa.com

#3: as for compensation, if the bag is deemed lost: I've never heard of getting the entire fare refunded.

Thanks for quick reply.

1. agreed and i am desperately hoping its found.
2. Yes, but showing unable to locate bag.
3. Obviously she would prefer her bag and items. But i want to be prepared to get things ready if she needs receipts etc. I have all the receipts for her xmas items .

I saw this on the net , probably rubbish.

According to paragraph 3 of section II of Title IV of FAA code, if your luggage is delayed for four days, you have the right to a full refund of the fare you paid for your flight as well as vouchers for 4 additional flights, plus full compensation for the lost luggage."

UKAAFAN Jan 6, 2010 7:34 am

I don't mean to be blunt but this is unfortunately what happens when you book two different tickets on two different airlines and have a long haul on the other end.

AA only has responsibility for carriage of your bags until they arrive in LAX due to the fact that that's where your daughter's ticket ends as far as AA is concerned.

Although the bags will no doubt turn up I'm 99% sure that it will be your responsibility to deliver to Sydney. That being said, AA may be able to put them on a Qantas flight to SYD perhaps as no doubt, AA and Qantas liase a lot due to One World etc.

My advice is: Be nice to the baggage people at LAX and they will no doubt give you their direct line number. If you rant then they will give you the automated number. Don't blame them really. I had to work it out the hard way.

Keep us posted.

barnetda Jan 6, 2010 7:45 am

Originally Posted by UKAAFAN (Post 13123400)
I don't mean to be blunt but this is unfortunately what happens when you book two different tickets on two different airlines and have a long haul on the other end.

AA only has responsibility for carriage of your bags until they arrive in LAX due to the fact that that's where your daughter's ticket ends as far as AA is concerned.

Although the bags will no doubt turn up I'm 99% sure that it will be your responsibility to deliver to Sydney. That being said, AA may be able to put them on a Qantas flight to SYD perhaps as no doubt, AA and Qantas liase a lot due to One World etc.

My advice is: Be nice to the baggage people at LAX and they will no doubt give you their direct line number. If you rant then they will give you the automated number. Don't blame them really. I had to work it out the hard way.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the info.
It all got complicated as she was originally booked on a Delta flight (partner of Virgin) on Sunday but that was delayed and so she couldnt make her connection in LAX> Had to buy a new ticket as Delta were full and Virign couldnt get her on the flight until tues eve.

I am happy for the bag to be returned to me here as my son is heading for OZ next week and can take it.

bdemaria Jan 6, 2010 8:00 am

Originally Posted by barnetda (Post 13123312)
I saw this on the net , probably rubbish.

According to paragraph 3 of section II of Title IV of FAA code, if your luggage is delayed for four days, you have the right to a full refund of the fare you paid for your flight as well as vouchers for 4 additional flights, plus full compensation for the lost luggage."

No "probably" about it; it is rubbish indeed. Trust me, if this were the case, then people would be lining up in hopes that their bags were lost.

barnetda Jan 6, 2010 8:00 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 13123556)
No "probably" about it; it is rubbish indeed. Trust me, if this were the case, then people would be lining up in hopes that their bags were lost.

Yep i guessed as much. !!

barnetda Jan 6, 2010 8:02 am

BAG FOUND

apparently its in Dallas and will be sent back to Tampa today for me to collect from airport. I assume i just meet the flight that its due to be on.

Many thanks for your advice which is really appreciated.

I will let you all know once i have it in my hands.

gemac Jan 6, 2010 8:05 am

Originally Posted by barnetda (Post 13123583)
BAG FOUND

apparently its in Dallas and will be sent back to Tampa today for me to collect from airport. I assume i just meet the flight that its due to be on.

Many thanks for your advice which is really appreciated.

I will let you all know once i have it in my hands.

Good news. All's well that ends well.

F23Coupe Jan 6, 2010 8:09 am

Did they provide a reason why it was delayed so much and WHY it's in DFW of all places? Is that where all unclaimed baggage go for AA? Does AA compensate well for IRROPS like UA does? I mean there's a whole thread dedicated to compensations received from UA but I haven't seen one for AA.

barnetda Jan 6, 2010 8:15 am

Originally Posted by F23Coupe (Post 13123620)
Did they provide a reason why it was delayed so much and WHY it's in DFW of all places? Is that where all unclaimed baggage go for AA? Does AA compensate well for IRROPS like UA does? I mean there's a whole thread dedicated to compensations received from UA but I haven't seen one for AA.

No reason given, to be honest you guys have given me far more info than they have. Not to worried re compensation BUT as my son has to take it to sydney next week i hope AA dont try and charge for 2 bags excess luggage !!!
I am not totally confident that i will actually get the bag tonight but i will go to Tampa and wait for it when plane arrives.

bdemaria Jan 6, 2010 8:17 am

Originally Posted by F23Coupe (Post 13123620)

Yes, there is a lengthy AA compensation thread, however, I'm not sure a pax who has a bag mislabeled which then goes missing for less than 24 hours qualifies for anything.

To the OP: glad it all worked out!