FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/982652-archive-lost-baggage-luggage-delay-loss-damage-advice-etc-pre-2018-a.html)

brp Jan 8, 2010 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by mdaecher (Post 13143452)
Comments/thoughts?

Yup. There are a lot of complaints about bags here, and they're not specific to one airport. The conclusion that the priority tags are meaningless based on a single instance is completely invalid. Those are my specific thoughts. For general thoughts, I'd suggest reading some of the many,many lost/delayed bag threads here.

Cheers.

thedoorchick Jan 8, 2010 7:33 pm

With DFW as his home base, switching airlines decreases his non-stop options to many destinations, thereby increasing the chances that his luggage will go AWOL from time to time.
This is an excellent point; being in DFW myself, it would take an awful lot of problems before I would even consider switching airlines. The inconvenience would be huge, in loss of travel options and a host of other reasons. Going elsewhere because of misdirected bags is cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

nonesuch flyer Jan 8, 2010 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma (Post 13143425)
Imo 10K miles was an adequate offer and he should have accepted.

I agree with oklAAhoma. Baggage gets lost. Most of us experince it. Last summer we missed our second leg in a AUS-DFW-JFK-BCN trip due to a pilot deficit at AUS. We ended up arriving 8 hours behind schedule at BCN and our luggage caught up 2 days later. On the return jouney the BCN flt was 4 hours delayed missed our DFW connection blah blah blah (more inconveniences... arrived Austin a day later than planned).

We ended up getting 5k miles each from customer service.

Flyer_70 Jan 8, 2010 8:11 pm

OP - can you comment on why the bags were delayed? 10K miles is a pretty good offer of compensation. :)

I've had a bag lost completely on an international flight (got me $600 which was the max) before. As well, I had a bag delayed for four days (had to buy a swimsuit on the fly in SA - ouch!! :D - and no compensation - again - ouch! :D ).

Would love to hear more details. Long story short though - your family member got a pretty good deal. Good luck with everything!

imagineertobe Jan 9, 2010 2:59 am

Originally Posted by mdaecher (Post 13143452)
...GA says, "Priority bag, shouldn;t have lost it" - kind of my thoughts, but I now those tags are largley useless and meaningless to ramp...

Actually since AA implemented the tags a few months ago, all my bags have been coming out at the front of the line, so I'd say they work quite well.

Sorry to hear about the delay. AA is currently the industry leader for mishandled bags (WSJ article here).

n3farious Jan 9, 2010 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer_70 (Post 13143703)
OP - can you comment on why the bags were delayed?

I believe the bags were delayed because they missed the JFK-ZRH connecting flight (with a 2 hour layover).

Thanks to all that replied. I am in agreement that 10K is reasonable compensation.

Like many on the board, I, and we, never check bags unless we have to (hiking or ski trips with a lot of gear). I'm 8 for 8 on segments with checked bags on AA in 2009. Unfortunately, my brother was 2 for 4 on segments, with the 2 delays on the arrival at international destinations.

In regards to renting during the delay, possible but not practical with all the gear missing (snowboard, boots, bindings, gloves, hat, coat, pants, helmet, etc).

I am in agreement... not best to jump ship. I can understand his viewpoint that if AA is currently the industry leader for mishandled bags, why fly AA when at times you can get a cheaper flight and better baggage-handling performance on another major airline.

I just need to get him back to PLT status. A PLT challenge for him and a good MR together. :D

barnetda Jan 11, 2010 6:40 am

Final update.

My son left yesterday for Sydney via a 2 day stop in LA.

He had my daughters "delayed" bag with him.

I spoke to the supervisor and showed her the paperwork .

She was extremely , apologetic and waived the excess charge without discussion.

Many thanks to all of the posts, even those that didnt agree with me. It was all appreciated.

mvoight Jan 11, 2010 7:03 am

Originally Posted by barnetda (Post 13123312)

I saw this on the net , probably rubbish.

According to paragraph 3 of section II of Title IV of FAA code, if your luggage is delayed for four days, you have the right to a full refund of the fare you paid for your flight as well as vouchers for 4 additional flights, plus full compensation for the lost luggage."

LOL....... When you say "on the net", are you referring to a site other than the FAA site? If it was part of the "FAA Code", you'd find it on the FAA site. :)

barnetda Jan 11, 2010 7:14 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 13157310)
LOL....... When you say "on the net", are you referring to a site other than the FAA site? If it was part of the "FAA Code", you'd find it on the FAA site. :)

Yep, definitely rubbish. An internet fable.

sandsunsurf Jan 11, 2010 10:03 am

Originally Posted by barnetda (Post 13157234)
She was extremely , apologetic and waived the excess charge without discussion.

Many thanks to all of the posts, even those that didnt agree with me. It was all appreciated.

^ Glad to hear it! As you had noted previously, the cost to AA was likely less by waiving the fee compared to a courier in Sydney, but I figured they wouldn't have the sympathy nor common sense to do what you were hoping...

pazza2000 Jan 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Luggage AWOL for 4days. Compensation?

Hello,

Im writing this on behalf of a friend. He and his GF flew to NYC(from the UK) on AA over Christmas. Both of there cases went missing, his was returned the following day to his hotel and his Girlfriends a whopping 4days later. They were not offered or informed of any compensation available to them. I have just looked now on the AA site on there behalf and i see that a complaint had to have been lodged 30days after the flights. It has now been 35days after there flight, are they entitled to anything? My friends GF has kept receipts for the items she had to buy and it was all recorded with them receiving ticket numbers from AA to check the status of there luggage. They should have complained at the time and chased this up sooner however they are very easy going and i offered to look into it for them.

There flights were not booked direct but with a travel agent here in the UK.

Thanks.

gemac Jan 24, 2010 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 13249170)
Hello,

Im writing this on behalf of a friend. He and his GF flew to NYC(from the UK) on AA over Christmas. Both of there cases went missing, his was returned the following day to his hotel and his Girlfriends a whopping 4days later. They were not offered or informed of any compensation available to them. I have just looked now on the AA site on there behalf and i see that a complaint had to have been lodged 30days after the flights. It has now been 35days after there flight, are they entitled to anything? My friends GF has kept receipts for the items she had to buy and it was all recorded with them receiving ticket numbers from AA to check the status of there luggage. They should have complained at the time and chased this up sooner however they are very easy going and i offered to look into it for them.

There flights were not booked direct but with a travel agent here in the UK.

Thanks.

1. Doesn't matter how the flight was booked.

2. Sounds like they were content until you suggested compensation that they can't get. Good work.

3. Receipts for items they had to buy are a good thing to have if AA has authorized the passenger in advance to replace items. Now, not so valuable.

4. If it says 30 days, how many extra days do you think AA should allow passengers? 5 extra days? 10? 50?

pazza2000 Jan 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 13249254)
1. Doesn't matter how the flight was booked.

2. Sounds like they were content until you suggested compensation that they can't get. Good work.

3. Receipts for items they had to buy are a good thing to have if AA has authorized the passenger in advance to replace items. Now, not so valuable.

4. If it says 30 days, how many extra days do you think AA should allow passengers? 5 extra days? 10? 50?

Ok. I need answers, not off topic statements please. :p

My understanding is there is little they can do, am i correct? Is there any route that can be taken after 30days?

gemac Jan 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 13249344)
Ok. I need answers, not off topic statements please. :p

My understanding is there is little they can do, am i correct? Is there any route that can be taken after 30days?

I thought my earlier post was on topic. Let's try again.

Are they entitled to anything? No.

Can they call in and grovel and maybe get something? Anything's possible.

Whether that's worth it or not is an individual judgement.

On topic enough?

videomaker Jan 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 (Post 13249170)
...his was returned the following day to his hotel and his Girlfriends a whopping 4days later.

OP considers a four-day luggage delay "whopping"? A bit hyperbolic, IMO.

Now, the 10 months it took for me to get a bag back from an international trip (not on AA) might fall more into that category.