Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by TheRockTraveler
Per AA today, during a award travel (coach) from BKK back to USA, I can stop over in say NRT for an EXTRA 15,000 miles. And yes, I can stop over at any USA side "hub" as I leave or re-enter for free.
Assuming you were booked on a coach ticket from the BKK to US for 35k, then switching to NRT to US is 25k for the off-peak and Asia1 to Asia2 is 20k, so you should have to only pay 10k EXTRA. This is based off of the all-partner award chart.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Per AA today, during a award travel (coach) from BKK back to USA, I can stop over in say NRT for an EXTRA 15,000 miles. And yes, I can stop over at any USA side "hub" as I leave or re-enter for free.
All they're doing is splitting the awards, as FMTTLB mentions above. There is no set add'l mileage charge for an int'l stopover, it depends entirely on which regions you're travelling from/to/through...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
For future questions about stopovers, the master thread is:

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)
THANK YOU.

And I would add there is a FAQ STICKY in this forum with this title:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ere-first.html
Old Jan 6, 2012, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It's not actually a 15000 mile stopover "fee" though, you are actually using a separate awards. One award wold be BKK-NRT, the other would be NRT-USA
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
It's not actually a 15000 mile stopover "fee" though, you are actually using a separate awards. One award wold be BKK-NRT, the other would be NRT-USA
Tricky, tricky, AA...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by pongben
Tricky, tricky, AA...
Yeah. Collect an extra 5,000 from those who don't pay attention.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Miles needed

If my itinerary is WAS->JFK(AA) -> AUH (EY) STOPOVER ->MAA (JET) and return is MAA ->BOM (Jet/Kingfisher) STOPOVER ->WAS (Oneworld), how many miles will I need if I can get a sAAver Business award seat?

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DLrunner
If my itinerary is WAS->JFK(AA) -> AUH (EY) STOPOVER ->MAA (JET) and return is MAA ->BOM (Jet/Kingfisher) STOPOVER ->WAS (Oneworld), how many miles will I need if I can get a sAAver Business award seat?

Thanks
You can't book that as a oneworld award since EY & Jet are not oneworld members, nor is Kingfisher yet.

A N. America to India/Middle East award is 67.5k miles each way in business. No stopovers are allowed, except at the North American gateway city. You'd need separate awards for the AUH-MAA and MAA-BOM flights.

I'd suggest reading the oneworld award sticky thread, in addition to the Other Airlines Award Chart at aa.com.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Newbie Help : can I include a stopover/Open Jaw - cant see it online!

A one way trip from PVR-LAX-LHR is 20,000 miles.

I would like to have PVR-LAX STOP SAN-LHW or if that's not possible
PVR-LAX-STOP-LHW.

Online, it comes up as two segments if I force a stopover by using multi trip.

I thought the rules were that on international oneway (which this is), a stop over is allowed at a gateway (LAX/SAN)?
Many thanks
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by joepubli
A one way trip from PVR-LAX-LHR is 20,000 miles.

I would like to have PVR-LAX STOP SAN-LHW or if that's not possible
PVR-LAX-STOP-LHW.

Online, it comes up as two segments if I force a stopover by using multi trip.

I thought the rules were that on international oneway (which this is), a stop over is allowed at a gateway (LAX/SAN)?
Many thanks
PVR-LAX (stopover)-LHR would work. You should be able to book it online, assuming saver awards are available on both segments. If you cannot, post your dates online and I am sure someone can help.

PVR-LAX-SAN (stopover)-LHR would also work, but you need to call AA to book, as SAN-LHR will be on BA (and note that BA has fairly high fuel surcharges in the hundreds of dollars).

Note that you cannot open-jaw between LAX-SAN. You must fly a segment there.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Thanks CKPETER

CKPETER - Thanks very much. I was putting it in as open jaw and that's why it wasn't coming up. When I changed it back to LAX it picked up the free stop over and was for 20k. I also tried PVR-SAN-LON but that came up as two separate segments at 17,5k+20k.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

CKPETER - Thanks very much. I was putting it in as open jaw and that's why it wasn't coming up. When I changed it back to LAX it picked up the free stop over and was for 20k. I also tried PVR-SAN-LON but that came up as two separate segments at 17,5k+20k.
You might be able to get PVR-SAN (stopover) - LON for 20K AAdvantage miles, but you cannot book it online. The SAN-LON segment would have to be flown on BA, and to include even one BA segment on an award itinerary, you must call AA. (As noted previously, a TATL BA award segment would also come with a hefty fuel surcharge.)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:53 pm

Sure.

PVG-SAN-LON is technically possible, but as mentioned, you need to call. The reason being that SAN-LON will be on BA, so the site won't price out the segment on BA (which is necessary for your free stopover). Note also the high fuel surcharges if you add a BA flight.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:01 pm
Suspended

I also tried PVR-SAN-LON but that came up as two separate segments at 17,5k+20k.
AA doesn't fly SAN -> LHR....
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:19 pm

Stopover allowed SAN-BGI?

I want to stop in MIA on our way from SAN-BGI. Is this permitted? And can it be done online? I tried doing it with a multi-city award but it's charging me the extra 12,500 for the leg to MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.