Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Moderator Wikipost

For AA's announcement of their new One-Way Flex Awards, see: http://www.aa.com/i18n/amrcorp/newsr...FlexAwards.jsp

For AA's FAQ on the new One-Way Flex Awards, including the new stopover rule, see: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...award_faqs.jsp
Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.
Note that free stopovers have been eliminated as of 8 April 2014, so that portion of this discussion is no longer current.

/AA Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
The rate desk is correct. HKG-SFO-LAX-HNL (9820 mi.) exceeds the maximum permitted mileage HKG-HNL (6784 mi.) by more than the 25% (8480 mi.) AA permits on AAdvantage partner awards. Consider traveling to Mexico or the Caribbean after your stopover in SFO, destinations that would likely not exceed MPM on any reasonable routings. I hope you understand why this isn't allowed, considering how ridiculous it is to fly HKG to HNL via the west coast.
Also, I called and tried to add a flight to MEX or Caribbean and they said it will require more miles too.
Did you try to add the flight to the Caribbean/Mexico from SFO, or from LAX?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of MPM. How do you calculate MPM for a specific route?
AA requires that a fare published by the overwater carrier exists origin to destination, and that the chosen routing is permitted by that fare. Fares can restrict routing to specific sequences of airports (e.g. SEA-JFK must be nonstop or connect in ORD or DFW) or can state a maximum permitted mileage. The vast majority of intercontinental fares on AA partners (actually every one I've ever seen) are mileage based, and with mileage based fares AA allows you to exceed MPM by 25% on Partner Awards. There are a number of websites to find fares (and the associated MPM). I use Expert Flyer, a paid service, but there may be free options that I am unfamiliar with.

The issue with many Caribbean/Mexican destinations is that CX does not publish a fare HKG-Destination. There may be some options, but the only one I found right away is MEX (Mexico City).
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:04 pm
Suspended

The vast majority of intercontinental fares on AA partners (actually every one I've ever seen) are mileage based....
The first one I looked up just now is route based: DAR -> LHR on BA, FFFAFROW.

The issue with many Caribbean/Mexican destinations is that CX does not publish a fare HKG-Destination. There may be some options, but the only one I found right away is MEX (Mexico City).
Cancun, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, San Jose (Costa Rica), Liberia (Costa Rica), Panama City

Last edited by Austinrunner; Oct 20, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Thanks! Appreciate the tips, had no clue the awards were that complicated... I assumed it was just origin region to destination region and as long as it fell within that it was fine.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Just found out about this, what a deal. What's the best way to pre-plan trips? Based at LAX, let's say I want to take 2 trips a year.

Assuming availability, here's an example of what I'm thinking:

1. Buy or book award one way ticket LAX -> HNL, let's say for Jan 1, 2012
2. Book award ticket HNL -> LAX (Jan 8, 2012) -> LHR (July 1, 2012)

Then, ~Feb 2012
3. Book award ticket LHR (Jul 8, 2012) -> LAX; LAX -> HNL (Jan 1, 2013)

Repeat #2-#3 every 6 months.

Is this the best way to do this? Are there any restrictions about travelling on AA during the extended stopover? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Austinrunner

Cancun, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos, San Jose (Costa Rica), Liberia (Costa Rica), Panama City
Thanks! Panama City and San Jose are valid options but the rest of those are constructed fares so would not be bookable as single partner awards.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Others: Tegucigalpa, Guatemala City
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:41 pm

"Just found out about this, what a deal. What's the best way to pre-plan trips? Based at LAX, let's say I want to take 2 trips a year.

Then, ~Feb 2012

Is this the best way to do this? Are there any restrictions about travelling on AA during the extended stopover? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!"

I am so lost....

I want to do the same exact thing as poster above. so if anyone could verify that the above would work on 60k or so it would be greatly appreciated.

could i also just book one way from say LAX -LHR then do a return one way of LHR - HNL with a 6 month stop in LAX?

also, what is the maximum gap one can have before having to start the second trip? (is it six months like the above example or can it be longer?)

and when i call AA how do i ask for the above? do i just say i want help with a one-way flex?

thanks in advance,
ben

EDIT: better yet can someone please direct me to a website, a blog, or anything that helps someone new understand this because the more i read, the more i become confused. I am clicking on all of the links on this site to no avail.

Last edited by lilbenny34; Oct 29, 2011 at 12:06 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by lilbenny34
"Just found out about this, what a deal. What's the best way to pre-plan trips? Based at LAX, let's say I want to take 2 trips a year.

Then, ~Feb 2012

Thanks!"

I am so lost....

I want to do the same exact thing as poster above. so if anyone could verify that the above would work on 60k or so it would be greatly appreciated.

could i also just book one way from say LAX -LHR then do a return one way of LHR - HNL with a 6 month stop in LAX?

also, what is the maximum gap one can have before having to start the second trip? (is it six months like the above example or can it be longer?)

and when i call AA how do i ask for the above? do i just say i want help with a one-way flex?

thanks in advance,
ben

EDIT: better yet can someone please direct me to a website, a blog, or anything that helps someone new understand this because the more i read, the more i become confused. I am clicking on all of the links on this site to no avail.
Yes, it works, as long as you can find MileSAAver/Partner availability on all segments.

There is no maximum length of stay at the North American gateway, but all travel on an award must be completed within one year of award-ticket issuance.

If all segments are on AA metal, there's no need to call AA: you can book the stopover award at aa.com by using the multi-city option. On the other hand, if you want to use a partner carrier for one or more segments, you would have to call AA and say that you want to book an award from A to C, with a gateway stopover at B.

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 29, 2011 at 12:13 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also get the free gateway stopover on AA's AAnytime awards, but they require more miles, and limit you to flights on AA metal only.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Duplicate post.)

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 29, 2011 at 12:19 am
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:02 pm

thank you very much for your prompt response. i think i am getting the hang of it.

one more question: what is AA metal?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lilbenny34
thank you very much for your prompt response. i think i am getting the hang of it.

one more question: what is AA metal?
"AA metal" refers to flights operated by AA, as opposed to flights operated by partner carriers like AS, BA, FJ, IB, etc.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this on, but if I have a friend (with no AA status) book a flight for me with his miles, and I am EXP, do I still get the EXP benefit of free changes to routing, etc.?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
AA requires that a fare published by the overwater carrier exists origin to destination, and that the chosen routing is permitted by that fare. Fares can restrict routing to specific sequences of airports (e.g. SEA-JFK must be nonstop or connect in ORD or DFW) or can state a maximum permitted mileage. The vast majority of intercontinental fares on AA partners (actually every one I've ever seen) are mileage based, and with mileage based fares AA allows you to exceed MPM by 25% on Partner Awards. There are a number of websites to find fares (and the associated MPM). I use Expert Flyer, a paid service, but there may be free options that I am unfamiliar with.

Is ITA Matrix a valid tool to determine if the overwater carrier has a routing? http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

I am trying to work out the best use of my AA miles vs the best use of my US miles and since AA seems to be stricter on routing I want to budget my AA miles for a more easily "gettable" trip. The trips I am planning are Brisbane to Brazil in Sept 2012 and Brisbane to Costa Rica, returning from Belize with a stopover in LAX on the return for Sept 2013.

Fare 1: Carrier QF MKSSOW BNE to SJO (rules)
Passenger type ADT, ONE-WAY-ONLY fare, booking code M
Covers BNE-SYD (Coach), SYD-DFW (Coach), DFW-SJO (Coach)
$2,377.84
Costa Rica Security Fee (IK) $1.42
Costa Rica Tourism Tax (NW) $15.00
US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
QF YQ surcharge (YQ) $250.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY) $26.60
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $4.40
Australian Domestic Passenger Service Charge (QR) $3.70
Australian Safety & Security Surcharge (WG) $3.60
Australian Passenger Movement Charge (AU) $49.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50

Subtotal per passenger $2,756.72
Number of passengers x1

Total airfare & taxes $2,756.72

Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.

Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)
BNE QF X/SYD QF X/DFW AA SJO 2185.83MKSSOW NUC 2185.83 END ROE 1.033012 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 2.50AY 49.50AU 8.10QR 3.60WG 26.60WY 1.42IK 15.00NW 250.00YQ 4.50XF DFW4.50

It's proving difficult to get the routing on QF and LA so now I am thinking of using US miles for Brazil and the AA miles to SJO and BZE. I do need to know what tools to use though, preferably free ones since I only do this once a year.

I have also heard that AA will be offering award bookings on partners soon with AS being the first one, hoping someone more experienced than I knows more about this? Would be great to be able to book awards on QF online at aa.com!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.