Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Do non-F/J agent-printed BPs still say the status, i.e. EXECPLAT, PLATINUM, EMERALD, etc.? Not sure why AA never bothered with GOLD or RUBY...
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by tismfu
Confirming that my airport-printed paper BP had "priority" along with Group 3 on my most recent flight. I suppose this confirmation is necessary for security lanes as well.
Yes, my airport-printed BP had PRIORITY in huge letters on it. I was happy with that. It looks as though all BPs (mobile, etc.) now all have Priority somewhere, so I have no complaints now.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
They called preboarding this morning on lax-dca and approximately 8 able bodied youngish men stepped forward and boarded. Everyone waiting was puzzled.
Law enforcement officers?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dkc192
Do non-F/J agent-printed BPs still say the status, i.e. EXECPLAT, PLATINUM, EMERALD, etc.? Not sure why AA never bothered with GOLD or RUBY...
See
Originally Posted by Antarius
Right here.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
I like the new system so far but devils advocate here: I was just on a envoy 50 seater with no first class and the gate agent went directly off the script. Pre boarding ck, group 1, etc.

Except I don't think there was any ck or military on the flight. Certainly no fc. Didn't take too much time, but I guess she waited a couple mins after each group. If they know there's no one in these groups on regionals, I think it makes sense to group the calling
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by dkc192
From Antarius' post, it looks like the online-generated PDF BPs do. However, my BP that was generated at an airport check-in counter did not have the bold "EXECPLAT." The "EXECPLAT" wording was replaced with "Group 2." It did have the light "AAdvantage Executive Platinum" tag printed at a 45-degree angle in the middle of the ticket, but that's the only identifier of my status.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:43 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
LAS VEGAS McCarren airport has multi airline ticketing kiosks; I'm looking at a bp printed on Sunday, in ONLY one spot is my status noted: EXP (between my ff# and locator).
For the same itn, the PDF bp from aa.com:
"Advantage Executive Platinum-oneworld Emerald"
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
OK, seems like mobile/Internet BPs are displaying class of travel (F or J if applicable), and status if not. Agent-printed BPs are displaying class of travel (FIRST or BUSINESS) but not status. All BPs have PRIORITY on them in some form.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Flew LHR - DFW as PLAT yesterday. Was using a gifted SWU and got to chatting with the GA's about the new order while a few of us were waiting for gate upgrades (which all came through). They don't have the displays like we do in the States (shared gates in T3) so they spent a few minutes explaining it over the PA. They called groups starting with Ck then watched how many people started moving to the front. Since a lot of us we're already there getting new boarding passes they just let us through but I hung around in the tunnel and watched for a minute. It seemed to be going smoothly and I saw a couple of people waved to the side, presumably with higher numbers. International flights can be really difficult with so many different native languages represented but it appeared like the gate crew had a handle on it. Or it's just that the British are better at queuing than we are.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by birddogmax
Flew LHR - DFW as PLAT yesterday. Was using a gifted SWU and got to chatting with the GA's about the new order while a few of us were waiting for gate upgrades (which all came through). They don't have the displays like we do in the States (shared gates in T3) so they spent a few minutes explaining it over the PA. They called groups starting with Ck then watched how many people started moving to the front. Since a lot of us we're already there getting new boarding passes they just let us through but I hung around in the tunnel and watched for a minute. It seemed to be going smoothly and I saw a couple of people waved to the side, presumably with higher numbers. International flights can be really difficult with so many different native languages represented but it appeared like the gate crew had a handle on it. Or it's just that the British are better at queuing than we are.
If "multiple" different native languages represents a problem, the GA can just hold up fingers to indicate which group is currently authorized to board. Hopefully, without using the middle finger when calling for Group 1.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
So far I am 2 out of 3 on the new boarding process being organized:
3/2 (BOS): GA calls Group 1. Waits for all to board. Calls Group 2. Waits 30 seconds. Calls Group 3. Waits 30 seconds. Calls Group 4. Lets all Priority fend for themselves, but at least waits to call Group 5 until we are all on through. Oh, BTW, the upgrade list was 60+ on this <500 mile flight and as a PLAT I was in the 30s.

3/6 (PHL): GA calls each group and waits for the entire group present to board before calling the next group. Amazingly, I watched a gate lice call out "any Group 2 back there?" during Group 2 boarding and allowing the ones stuck in the back to come forward. (Now, if they know they are in the way and aren't the currently boarding group, why do they stand right in front of the boarding lane???) VERY organized process, with clear instructions from the GA.

3/6 (PHX): Clear instructions from the GA, very organized boarding process, same as PHL. I even saw two pax turned away at the scanner and told to wait until their group is called.

All in all, moving to numbers for the early groups appears to be preventing the "I'm not sure who is up now so I'll just push forward" tendency. As long as the GAs actually enforce the order properly and wait before calling each successive group (ahem, BOS), early returns show that this change is actually making boarding less unpleasant.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jcatman
If "multiple" different native languages represents a problem, the GA can just hold up fingers to indicate which group is currently authorized to board. Hopefully, without using the middle finger when calling for Group 1.
That's tricky with 9 groups! But laminated plastic cards with the group number in giant print held up by a gate agent as I've seen in some Asian airports, wouldn't be a terrible idea in stations where AA doesn't control the monitors well enough to put group numbers on them. Even speaking the language, I appreciate that in the frequent times in which I arrive at the gate after boarding has started or the PA is inaudible.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
50 % boarded before scheduled start of boarding

Last Monday evening, MIA-MSY, estimate 1/2 of the plane was "boarded" by time designated for boarding to begin. Was in F, so didn't matter much, boarded thru priority lane to join the cue in the jetway...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I've done 4 segments since 3/1, as a Platinum member. ORD-DFW R/T and ORD-PHX R/T. As a result of my experience I'm quite a fan of the new boarding process.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I fly AA a lot using my AS FF number (MVP). This week I had my first experience with the new system, and my boarding pass put me in Group 8. Not happy. My Alaska FF number was associated with my PNR (I got my free checked bag) but for some reason the system didn't give me Group 4 like it should have since I am an Alaska MVP. The GA was very sweet and did her best to get my boarding pass to read Group 4, but to no avail. Happily, she told me to ignore the boarding pass and board with the other Group 4 folks

I have two more trips coming up this month; I'll see how it goes. Any other Alaska MVPs have similar experiences on AA with the new system?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.