Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues through 28 Feb 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues through 28 Feb 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Arrow ARCHIVE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues through 28 Feb 2017

Are any other F customers tired of angry AAdvantage elites flocking at the gate?

This morning they started to board First, and whilst trying to get past the hoards of P and EXP commuters jamming up the entrance, they boarded Priority.

One particularly unpleasant character made a passive aggressive comment about my jumping the line, to which I pointed out that if they weren't all trying to be the first elite to board, I could have gotten past them.

I do wish that AA would have boarding zones by the gate for F, EXP, P Etc., and would give a few moments between zones. It's not like the jetway isn't full in the meantime.

Ok, Monday morning rant over.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 1, 2017 at 2:09 pm Reason: add moderator note
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Call them out on it.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, United Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5-Star, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jmappleby
Are any other F customers tired of angry AAdvantage elites flocking at the gate?

This morning they started to board First, and whilst trying to get past the hoards of P and EXP commuters jamming up the entrance, they boarded Priority.

One particularly unpleasant character made a passive aggressive comment about my jumping the line, to which I pointed out that if they weren't all trying to be the first elite to board, I could have gotten past them.

I do wish that AA would have boarding zones by the gate for F, EXP, P Etc., and would give a few moments between zones. It's not like the jetway isn't full in the meantime.

Ok, Monday morning rant over.
Granted it wasn't the Monday morning commuting crush but the gate agents in DFW yesterday were stopping the elites trying to board with F on my flight to SNA, making them stand aside. Several elites showing their impatient exasperation when this was happening.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Call them out on it.
I did, but unfortunately it doesn't help. Elite gate crushing has become a phenomenon and they don't differentiate themselves with F customers.

I'm not particularly elitist about all this; just want to get on board in peace
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I enjoy watching 23 people board for First (with no uniformed military) on a B737-800. When I usually go claim 8C or 8D, I then find that these 7 or so additional boarders are sitting either in the exit rows or in my row telling me it's probably other ExecPlats and Plats who find themselves too important to wait their turn.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle, etc etc
Even if we could get every flier to read this, wouldn't matter. Unless I have the bulkhead, I purposely stand away from the gate, and when they announce first I make it a point to walk through all the people saying "Excuse Me" as many times as I possibly can. Call me an a$$....... but makes me smile inside! :-)

Last edited by ronniefastback; Feb 8, 2016 at 7:50 am
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ronniefastback
Even if we could get every flier to read this, wouldn't matter. Unless I have the bulkhead, I purposely stand away from the gate, and when they announce first I make it a point to walk through all the people saying "Excuse Me" as many times as I possibly can. Call me an ....... but makes me smile inside! :-)
I do this too, but I don't really smile inside. Last night on MCO-ORD we got a couple of comments about cutting.

The gate lice situation is really out of control right now. There needs to be a clear path to both boarding lanes. A striped off "do not stand here" path to the boarding lanes would be ideal.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
At both DCA and PHX last week, the GA made a clear announcement about both carry-on enforcement and F boarding first and then turned back a bunch of non-F passengers. She also made 3 F passengers step out of line and deal with the other GA to check their non-compliant carry-ons. No idea when they boarded, but I guess it didn't matter as they didn't have a larger carry-on for the OH !

It's well worth AA taking the time to do both of these things. It may even slow things down a tad for a bit. But, just like Pavlov's dogs, even the dumbest EXP seated in Y can eventually figure out that when F is called and it doesn't say F on his BP, it doesn't mean him.

As to AA, it would also help if, when there are all of those "we're going to start boarding in X minutes" announcements, to ask people without F boarding passes to step out of the line.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
But, just like Pavlov's dogs, even the dumbest EXP seated in Y can eventually figure out that when F is called and it doesn't say F on his BP, it doesn't mean him.
I dunno, I think you're giving the dumbest EXPs way too much credit.

This is why WN's "stand exactly at THIS SPOT" method works so well. There's no room for interpretation.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My pet peeve F paxs that block the boarding lane so wheelchairs can't get through and elites that are far worse than any kettle gate lice. The a/c is not going to suddenly depart without giving them the chance to board.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I try to just stay in the lounge as long as possible and board towards the end unless it's an L2 aircraft or multi-bridge aircraft. I hate sitting in F with L1 boarding while 150 Y pax stroll by...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjque
I do this too, but I don't really smile inside. Last night on MCO-ORD we got a couple of comments about cutting.

The gate lice situation is really out of control right now. There needs to be a clear path to both boarding lanes. A striped off "do not stand here" path to the boarding lanes would be ideal.
You know the sad thing? Southwest is much more civilized, with its boarding numbers. It creates an orderly line, which is great. I'm not a huge fan of unassigned seating but it does at least drive a civilized boarding process.

Something really ought to be done.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA should take notes from UA: UA puts each group into boarding lanes with each lane clearly marked. Makes boarding area more organized.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
I try to just stay in the lounge as long as possible and board towards the end unless it's an L2 aircraft or multi-bridge aircraft. I hate sitting in F with L1 boarding while 150 Y pax stroll by...
How do you deal with the OH luggage space issue, if everyone boards before you? I carry a very modest sized carry-on, but it won't fit underneath a seat.

Even in F, OH space can be at a premium because many passengers either:

1) Carry a non-compliant carry-on. I've seen them the size of suitcases lately...
2) Put both their carry-on and their personal item and their coat up top
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA should take notes from UA: UA puts each group into boarding lanes with each lane clearly marked. Makes boarding area more organized.
UA can be faulted for a lot of things, but I agree their boarding process is much more organized and clear than AA or DL.

Originally Posted by jmappleby
How do you deal with the OH luggage space issue, if everyone boards before you? I carry a very modest sized carry-on, but it won't fit underneath a seat.

Even in F, OH space can be at a premium because many passengers either:

1) Carry a non-compliant carry-on. I've seen them the size of suitcases lately...
2) Put both their carry-on and their personal item and their coat up top
I don't normally have an issue in F. In my experience a lot of the time the cabin is either not full, or there are elites waiting on the upgrade list that cannot board particularly early. If push comes to shove I have no problem stuffing my bag on top of someone's coat if they were stupid enough to put it overhead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.